TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Cold Weather vs. SubZero

Discussion in 'Model S' started by braoudap, Apr 15, 2019 at 12:31 PM.

1. braoudap

braoudap Member

Just bought my first Tesla (2013) and apparently it has the Cold Weather package. But I can’t figure out the difference between that and the SubZero package. Can someone enlighten me?

2. croman

croman Active Member

No difference other than in naming and perhaps heated wipers.

3. braoudap

braoudap Member

I think mine has the wipers but don’t think it does the steering wheel. Isn’t that part of SubZero?

4. Ostrichsak

Ostrichsak Member

There is no "cold weather" package but there is a Subzero Weather package option. Heated front seats and defrost side mirrors are included even if you have no Subzero weather package. The Subzero weather package added heated wipers (there are little defrost lines at the bottom of the windshield where the wipers rest) and heated rear seats. Sometime late 2014 they added heated steering wheels to the cars destined for cold climate locations as part of the Subzero package and sometime around early 2015 they were part of that package for all cars that included it. So if the car in question was manufactured before this period it likely doesn't have it and after this time period it likely does. If it was manufactured during this time period it's a crap shoot and the only way to tell is to check the specific car in question.

5. croman

croman Active Member

Heated steering was definitely not standard in 2015 or 2016. You needed the subzero package to get more than heated front seats.

6. braoudap

braoudap Member

All I know is that it's showing me all 5 seats with the ability to send heat to them, and an additional icon which appears to maybe be heated wipers symbol? Take a look ...
    [​IMG]

• Informative x 1
  7. Ostrichsak

Ostrichsak Member

That's subzero weather package but prior to the heated steering wheel ad. That means your car was most likely manufacturer before November of 2014.

• Informative x 1
  8. braoudap

braoudap Member

Isn't there also supposed to be heated windshield wiper fluid or something like that? Thought I read that somewhere. If so, do I have that as well?

9. Ostrichsak

Ostrichsak Member

I believe the nozzles have very small "heaters" that are always receiving a very small amount of electricity but no need to turn anything on or off. The wiper fluid reservoir itself isn't heated.

10. St Charles

St Charles Member

Heated washer nozzles are direct jet rather than a wide spray pattern