TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here:

Collaborative effort to independently fund convenient hpwc and public chargers.

Discussion in 'Charging Standards and Infrastructure' started by Study Joe, Nov 5, 2013.

1. Study Joe

Study Joe Member

Oct 21, 2013
    Roanoke, VA
    I would like know if anyone would be interested in supporting a collaborative effort to fund the creation of new charging locations along routes not convenient to a super charger.

In my imagination I see enough owners/enthusiasts getting together and funding the installation of public charging stations ideally HPWCs in truly convenient locations. There are many gaps in the charging map and especially in the super charging map, even into the projected future. It would only take a few people who drive one route to support the installation of a charger in a location they all agree upon to help fill in the gaps. I imagine the cost would be similar to the cost of the HPWC plus installation and similar to the cost of home installation. It might take some collaboration with a small business, who in the end would ideally benefit from a tax break. If the process was replicated in multiple small areas the HPWC grid would increase tremendously making travel outside the I-95 corridor easier and less stressful.

What this means to me personally. I drive I-81 Roanoke to northern Virginia often. The distance is holding me back from making a Model S purchase. I would love to see a super charger in Harrisonburg where I often stop, but I know that won't happen anytime soon. Although there is a charging station in Harrisonburg it is not truly convenient to the highway. If there were a HPWC right off the the highway it would be an easy stop for a short charge and a quick coffee so I can get to my destination without the fear of running out of power. I am sure there are others who drive this route (Hoke football fans), and there must be others along other routes that would benefit from similar collaboration.

Is there any interest in this, or is this just a crazy idea?
  2. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

Mar 29, 2009
    Nixa, Missouri, United States
    It's not crazy, just difficult and fraught with complex issues to work through. Who pays for the electricity, who does the maintenance, who pays for repair and replacement, who/where get priority. If I donate to the cause, but am the only one in the area should my $100 donation get me a $1200+ HPWC? Listen, I love the idea, but I think what's gotta happen is just being patient. Tesla seems to be making an effort to incentivise hotels and other locations to install chargers in areas where superchargers won't have coverage initially. We're probably better putting our efforts into encouraging hotels and other popular places along major routes to do this independently so they can collect the tax credit. We support them by talking it up and encouraging others to use their location.
  3. Kenne74

Kenne74 Member

Mar 6, 2013
    I think your best approach would be to organize this with folks in your region similar to what they are doing in Washington state. See the regional boards for more details.