Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Collecting Ukrainian Refugees from Poland

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would, but unfortunately, I let my passport lapse some years ago.
I have space in our annex, to put a family up with ease.
The present Visa program is a throughly embarrassing shambles and even beyond that, Council inspectors are now turning down would-be accommodation for the pettiest of reasons. Putting yourself forward at present is a lost cause.
When the Home Office finally get’s it’s a**e in gear, I’ll be in like shot.
As a nation of good people, we’d do more good being honest people smugglers!

Well done you.
I am surprised that there is a reliable source or charge points east of France / Germany? I would really love to do this but would feel a lot more secure doing it in a Land Rover Defender

I can understand why someone may fancy the fun of the driving assuming paperwork and legitimacy are sorted and I did toy with volunteering. However, with costs of the crossing, tyre wear, hotel stays both ways, even with free supercharging it's probably more practicable just to send the airfare than subject stressed folk to a couple of long-haul drives. 30yrs ago I did go London to Prague with just petrol stops and sandwiches and was lucky to avoid an accident due to fatigue. In my 70s now I don't think I'd want to do that without a 'shotgun' to check my alertness and possibly 2 hotel stops.. If, say, going to Lublin then ABRP estimates some 22hrs direct. You have your safety and the passengers to consider.
I wish you well but do plan it sensibly. My wife suggest you may want to load up with pet food somewhere en route (rather than offending the Eurocrats with UK sourced) as she states that Poland doesn't have much in the way of large pet feed stores.

Reactions: Rooster6655
However, with costs of the crossing, tyre wear, hotel stays both ways, even with free supercharging it's probably more practicable just to send the airfare than subject stressed folk to a couple of long-haul drives.
Yes exactly, its going to be at least 32 hours driving (earning at min wage (£300), charging (£200), hotels (9hrs) x 2 (£200) + food £100
= £500-£800+ and 50 hours+.
vs
Flights from Lublin to London £70 and take 2.5 hrs.

Even simply looking at 2500 miles is near 10% of a grandsworth of tyres and any fair driver is going to shell out the passengers hotel and food on way back. It's why most charities etc prefer simple money. The real heroes are guys like the lot that rescued the big cat and wolf after taking aid into Ukraine itself. The logistics of that is boggling.
I'm all for a fun roadtrip but you have to look at it from the viewpoint of who you're helping.

And by coach. My old Mum used to go to Prague and back by coach. Lots of folk to natter to, could stretch her legs on-board and the driver would pull over if anyone wanted the loo rather than have the on-board one smelly - and plenty of luggage room. I guess they must have had a driver change?