Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Collection Experience - Tesla Heathrow (West Drayton)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picked up my M3P in December. First new car I’ve bought. They told me to get there at 1.30pm which I did (btw I agree the signage is crap!) and on entry was told that I’d missed the group video induction session that shows you how to drive your car (it was at 1pm..) They asked if I wanted to wait for the next one at 2pm or just take the car. I was on my lunch break from work so I opted for the latter. I was pointed to the car, told that I could look around it, signed an iPad and was then left to myself. I took a cursory look over it for 2 minutes, didn’t see anything horrible, got in it, spent about 3 minutes trying to work out how to make it move, then drove off. Zero fanfare, but personally I didn’t mind, I hate phoney smiley customer service. And it suited me since I was in a hurry. I’d definitely say I’ve spent longer picking up rental cars
I'm taking the day off from work so was looking for a no rush experience . However it looks like I'm needed to supervise an installation now so I've changed my tune, I'll be happy if they just chuck me the keycards and let me be on my merry way! Funny how a change in circumstances can completely change your outlook!

My experience at WD for collection in August 2019 was entirely acceptable. Waiting area with Coffee and about 20 other people collecting (I was early). My kids were crazy excited. Ahead of schedule we were show the car in the building that was packed with cars and given keys. registered in phone. The chap was happy to show and explain everything, which I didn't need as I had watched most of Youtube. One paint blemish that was sorted a month or so later.

It was a great experience, 0 complaints. Your german manufacturer experience may have been different, but you know you paid for that?
Same for me, I picked up my Long Range from West Drayton on the 10th March with about 20 other people collecting on the day ( no test drives ). Coffee, biscuits, finance, collection desk. Then shown to car by a really helpful guy who stayed with me while I checked out the car and fitted the extras I had purchased. Even helped me with some of the items. Left vehicle to go to spares department to buy a frunk carpet. When I got back to the car another customer ( first that day) drove his out of of the inside enclosed area, where the only sound was the squeal of the tyres on the super clean floor, with whoops of delight from all those in the queue waiting to pick their’s up. They had at least 4 staff showing people their cars. I doubt anyone that day had anything other than a wonderful experience. Definitely different to post Lockdown. Oh but this was definitely surpassed by the experience of driving the vehicle, awesome is an understatement

No offence but to me they seem really low standards to have of a premium vehicle. Essentially you are saying you expect the correct car, it to be built properly and it to work.

That's the minimum we should expect of every single product we buy!

After 25+ years of buying used crappy cars, used better cars, brand new cars and then used better cars again, I’ve learnt enough to know that the list of expectations is actually very rarely met.

Thankfully I can report on a 6 year old Audi from main dealer collection today (for wife) met every single expectation and exceeded in other areas. Super example of a 6 year old approved used car, one of the best used cars I’ve ever encountered.

If Tesla can just meet these simple needs they will have a happy customer.

Reactions: Neilio
I picked up my M3SR+ today from West Drayton, trading in a Golf GTE- lovely car, but nearly 5 years old and about to start costing quite a lot in servicing, £1000 for cambelt change and DSG oil change :(
I arrived early expecting a queue but there was none and they saw me straight away.I have to say I found the staff, and there were several of them, very helpful and friendly. The only issue I found with the car was a slight scuff marl on the front near side bumper but it was immediately photographed and the car then taken immediately to the detailing centre next door where they polished it out as good as new in about 15 minutes. Otherwise no other issues, so far, with all panel gaps very good and all accessories present (including wireless phone charger, USB C ports in the back and mud flaps - it’s a 20 reg BTW). Drive home was great with no issues, although the voice commands are a bit hit or miss
So, all in all, I was pleasantly surprised with the experience having had low expectations...

Picked up my M3LR yesterday. I went in with high expectations, well statistically more posts on the internet are negative than positive because often when it goes well people don't say so. Sadly, expectations weren't met :(

Got a taxi up from Brighton and arrived at 1:40 for a 2pm appointment. There was one other person there at that time who'd just checked in before us. Checked in, was told to wait outside as the car was still "out back" and they'd come get me when it was ready. Nice day, not too chilly, so no problem standing around for a bit. More and more people arrived, seems that 2pm is a popular pick up time! In total there were 15-20 cars being collected.

Cars came out slowly, seemed like they just weren't prepared, but people drove off excitedly, fewer and fewer people were left. At 2:30 I caught the attention of one of the delivery crew and said we'd been waiting for quite a while, they took my reg and told me they'd sort it next. Another 15 minutes and we were told it was going through the wash and polish then would be straight out. And then another 15 minutes later he came out again and started with the apologies. Our car had been damaged, but good news there was another of the same spec in the garage, but they weren't sure if they could get it all swapped over with DVLA etc. We were parked in the lounge for another hour, and then told it was coming out - hooray!!

But then we went from one disappointing experience to another. The car has multiple small scratches and scuffs, the worst looks like someone has tried to cover it up with tippex!! And the front passenger door looks like it's not had all the coats of paint as the best way I can describe it is it looks like there is a shadow in the paint (even in full sun), and the entire door is misaligned. Finally got away around 4:30pm, not the five minute contactless handover I was expecting. Booked in for a service appointment week after next. On the bright side, cannot get over how much fun it is to drive :D
thumbnail_IMG_9185.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: s88ats
Picked up my M3LR yesterday. I went in with high expectations, well statistically more posts on the internet are negative than positive because often when it goes well people don't say so. Sadly, expectations weren't met :(

Got a taxi up from Brighton and arrived at 1:40 for a 2pm appointment. There was one other person there at that time who'd just checked in before us. Checked in, was told to wait outside as the car was still "out back" and they'd come get me when it was ready. Nice day, not too chilly, so no problem standing around for a bit. More and more people arrived, seems that 2pm is a popular pick up time! In total there were 15-20 cars being collected.

Cars came out slowly, seemed like they just weren't prepared, but people drove off excitedly, fewer and fewer people were left. At 2:30 I caught the attention of one of the delivery crew and said we'd been waiting for quite a while, they took my reg and told me they'd sort it next. Another 15 minutes and we were told it was going through the wash and polish then would be straight out. And then another 15 minutes later he came out again and started with the apologies. Our car had been damaged, but good news there was another of the same spec in the garage, but they weren't sure if they could get it all swapped over with DVLA etc. We were parked in the lounge for another hour, and then told it was coming out - hooray!!

But then we went from one disappointing experience to another. The car has multiple small scratches and scuffs, the worst looks like someone has tried to cover it up with tippex!! And the front passenger door looks like it's not had all the coats of paint as the best way I can describe it is it looks like there is a shadow in the paint (even in full sun), and the entire door is misaligned. Finally got away around 4:30pm, not the five minute contactless handover I was expecting. Booked in for a service appointment week after next. On the bright side, cannot get over how much fun it is to drive :D
View attachment 584710
Imagine Tesla will need to repaint that door entirely so you won't have the car for a week or so when you take it in.

On the bright side, you may be able to sample a Model S or X!

As far as I know the availability of loaners cars is very limited. For this reason, if you need one ask in advance; just turning up on the day and asking for one is likely to lead to disappointment.
Thank you - I've called them up and they've allocated me a car. For info for anyone needing this service, they will provide 3rd party cover only with a very high excess (I can't remember now, but it was thousands), they told me to call the day before service and they will tell me the registration of the loan car so I can call up my insurer to add to my policy.

<snip>
The car has multiple small scratches and scuffs, the worst looks like someone has tried to cover it up with tippex!! And the front passenger door looks like it's not had all the coats of paint as the best way I can describe it is it looks like there is a shadow in the paint (even in full sun), and the entire door is misaligned.

Bit of an update for anyone else in a similar position. Took the car in to Brooklands today to get the delivery defects looked at, the poor paint touch up and door misalignment turned out to be the least of the problems, as soon as someone from the body shop looked at it they said what I described as a "shadow" in the paint was in fact the primer showing through :confused:

They took it away, cleaned it, and had a proper look, called me an hour later, and told me that Greta Funberg will be in the shop for at least a week as it needs a full strip down and complete respray :eek:

On the bright side, once it's done (and presumably a few days for paint to harden?) it will then be in perfect condition to receive the PPF and ceramic coating.

They took it away, cleaned it, and had a proper look, called me an hour later, and told me that Greta Funberg will be in the shop for at least a week as it needs a full strip down and complete respray :eek:

Aside from the door what did the rest of the paintwork look like? Was there anything obvious?

I've got some paint issues on my pearl white m3 and am also due to take it to brooklands albeit on 22nd as I only collected it on Saturday.
My issues are similar, chips/scratches and most notably primer showing through on the wing mirrors.... but I'm certainly no paint expert so your issues have me worried I may have the exact same issue...

Aside from the door what did the rest of the paintwork look like? Was there anything obvious?

I've got some paint issues on my pearl white m3 and am also due to take it to brooklands albeit on 22nd as I only collected it on Saturday.
My issues are similar, chips/scratches and most notably primer showing through on the wing mirrors.... but I'm certainly no paint expert so your issues have me worried I may have the exact same issue...

Other than the horrific touch up on the door, which was like 2 x 1" strips of tippex someone had applied, I had four or five small scratches / imperfections plus on the gap between the headlight, bonnet, wing, and bumper (that small horizontal line you can see on my profile pic - not sure if there's a better technical word for it!) there's a paint drip.

The best way I could describe the poor paint finish generally it would be to say that the pearlescent finish wasn't very pearlescent on a number of panels, when looking at the panels there was some uneveness of the finish rather than an even and deep lustre. It was immediately obvious when I was picking it up, even the delivery agent could see it clearly. According to the body shop people at Brooklands, who clearly have a better eye for this than I do, the only panel that doesn't need repainting on mine is the bonnet, but they may still need to do that to match everything in!

I've not seen anyone else post anything so extreme, so I'd hope that if you can't see any obvious problems then yours had all the paint layers it should have had :)