Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Collision Avoidance - Deer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is not an "I hit a deer" thread. I avoided four large ones in the middle of the road just after dusk this evening. I saw them late on a road with no streetlights and hit the brakes hard - avoiding them. The arrogant bastards just looked at me and slowly sauntered to the shoulder and into the fields. :)

My question is, should have collision avoidance warnings gone off? There was no loud warning beeps like I normally if closing on stopped traffic too quickly. I would think four large deer would be identified as objects to avoid.

• Helpful
Reactions: GOVA
The local laws states to not stop or veer for road animals. You’re more likely to get into a collision doing so than hitting the animal. If you do hit the animal, you want to hit it at speed so it goes over the car instead of through the windshield.

• Informative
Reactions: MY-user
The local laws states to not stop or veer for road animals. You’re more likely to get into a collision doing so than hitting the animal. If you do hit the animal, you want to hit it at speed so it goes over the car instead of through the windshield.
That makes no sense... hitting a deer at speed is asking for trouble, or death. Certainly don't swerve unless very careful. Teslas apparently don't always see deer.

Reactions: sebxx