TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Collision Avoidance how to tell if it is working?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Tampaukfan, May 5, 2015.

1. Tampaukfan

Tampaukfan Member

I have yet to get a warning or any sign that the collision avoidance is working on my 85D.
    On my 2014 Audi A7, its pretty sensitive and will alert then brake. On my 85D I have been in a few situations that I know would have triggered the Audi system but didnt get a peep out of my Tesla.
    I have it set for early warning and the emergency brake feature is on, has anyone had their collision avoidance activate?
    My cruise works fine, so I assume my sensors are working correctly.

2. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

There's an easy way to test it... just saying...

Buy a piece of foam, put some aluminum foil over it, drive towards it?

3. Usatyke

Usatyke Member

Yes there is, can't quite remember exactly what the warning was, but on my first day out I had the cruise set down at one car length (was still trying to figure everything out) and the car in front slammed the brakes on.
    I rushed for the brakes but the car got there first, I think it was a red warning in the bottom half of the center display, but I know it came on, and I know it worked. Do not wish to try it again!

4. Tampaukfan

Tampaukfan Member

The collision avoidance should be active even when the cruise control is not on, correct?

5. caps04

caps04 Member

Yes, it should be. Try setting to very sensitive (or whatever the max setting is called) and see if it triggers more often.

6. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

Yes, it is always active if set on. I actually had a flase the other day that I reported to Tesla. The car in front, during slow-and-go with TACC on, actually started to slowly move fwd and my car hit the brakes and the alarm. Almost got rear-ended by an Acura TL. He must have thought I was an idiot. Scared the crap out of me. I have also had several false alarms without braking. I think it needs work.

7. siucity

siucity Button Pusher

The warning beeping sound has come on for me a couple of times. There's also an icon that appears below your speedometer. Both times, if I remember correctly, I was about to make a right turn. Instead of slowing down with the car in front of me at the light, I kept my speed and just changed to the right turn lane. I haven't been in a situation where the car stopped for me.

8. Tampaukfan

Tampaukfan Member

I have yet to see warning and I have had several close calls. TAAC works perfect, so I guess the collision avoidance will improve with updates.

9. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

For clarity:

Collision avoidance is when the car actively applies the brakes because it anticipates an impending collision.
    Collision waning is when the car beeps and displays the icon on the speedo, warning of a possible collision.

Collision *avoidance* is typically not experienced unless you're about to hit something. Collision *warning* comes on sooner (especially if set to Early).

My personal experience has been that collision warning comes on exactly when I'd expect it to (I have it set to early). I have (thankfully) not experienced automatic collision avoidance braking.