Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Collision Avoidance how to tell if it is working?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have yet to get a warning or any sign that the collision avoidance is working on my 85D.
On my 2014 Audi A7, its pretty sensitive and will alert then brake. On my 85D I have been in a few situations that I know would have triggered the Audi system but didnt get a peep out of my Tesla.
I have it set for early warning and the emergency brake feature is on, has anyone had their collision avoidance activate?
My cruise works fine, so I assume my sensors are working correctly.

Yes there is, can't quite remember exactly what the warning was, but on my first day out I had the cruise set down at one car length (was still trying to figure everything out) and the car in front slammed the brakes on.
I rushed for the brakes but the car got there first, I think it was a red warning in the bottom half of the center display, but I know it came on, and I know it worked. Do not wish to try it again!

Yes, it is always active if set on. I actually had a flase the other day that I reported to Tesla. The car in front, during slow-and-go with TACC on, actually started to slowly move fwd and my car hit the brakes and the alarm. Almost got rear-ended by an Acura TL. He must have thought I was an idiot. Scared the crap out of me. I have also had several false alarms without braking. I think it needs work.

The warning beeping sound has come on for me a couple of times. There's also an icon that appears below your speedometer. Both times, if I remember correctly, I was about to make a right turn. Instead of slowing down with the car in front of me at the light, I kept my speed and just changed to the right turn lane. I haven't been in a situation where the car stopped for me.

For clarity:

Collision avoidance is when the car actively applies the brakes because it anticipates an impending collision.
Collision waning is when the car beeps and displays the icon on the speedo, warning of a possible collision.

Collision *avoidance* is typically not experienced unless you're about to hit something. Collision *warning* comes on sooner (especially if set to Early).

My personal experience has been that collision warning comes on exactly when I'd expect it to (I have it set to early). I have (thankfully) not experienced automatic collision avoidance braking.

Just wanted to drop a note supporting the collision warning feature. The commute I have has a lot of interaction with stop and go type traffic. There have been a few times where the person in front of me stopped more quickly than I would have expected. Without the collision warning ( I have it set to early ) - I would be in a situation of hitting the brakes pretty hard to stop in a safe distance. But with the CW set to early, I here the beep, the radio volume goes off... and I have ample time to simply brake to a smooth stop. Reduces the anxiety of my morning commute. Thanks Tesla... nice job!

Even on HW2 I've been very impressed with mine Forward Collision Warning, especially when combined with TACC. I have had several false alarms (like when I guy pulled a right turn 100 yards in front of me. I saw the car, kept a safe distance but the red car of doom appeared on my IC and the car braked hard. Luckily I had my foot near the accelerator and a gentle tap kept the car from braking to a complete stop for no reason. I have my FCW set to early and I don't mind false alarms to ensure it is there when I actually need it.

Should I mention that it is not meant to be an "avoidance system" but a "limiting the impact system"?
The handbook tells you clear that it just slows down so that the impact is less hard.

With TACC or AP it should stop always on its own if the colliding object was moving before. It does not stop for stationary objects that just are there on the road. (remember the TACC "hit the van crash" in Switzerland last year?) Or did this change already with 8.0 and radar tech?