Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Collision avoidance in 6.1, do not get any warning...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have last year's model without the new autopilot features.
Sounds like some of these new features cannot be trusted. Gimmicky perhaps?
Would you really trust these features if your family members or friends were outside in front of the car?
Just as happy with my car as is.

I think that's looking at it from the wrong end. While I don't have them either, I'd hate for a moment's inattention to cause an accident that could have been prevented. Yes, they're not at the point where you can "set 'em 'n forget 'em" but between the driver and the sensor suite, the accidents should be reduced--perhaps significantly.

I was wondering what the warning sounds or feels like?

Do the brakes fire off?

Is it an audible alert?
Visual?

Never seen it, I and I have mine set to medium

There is a tone similar to what you get when both the brake and accelerator are pushed at the same time and a red symbol briefly appears on the left side of the speedometer that looks a bit like a blood splatter.

- - - Updated - - -

As far as I can tell the car does not brake or otherwise respond to the warning. It's a good bet that every episode is uploaded to Tesla's servers complete with forward video so that they can analyze and refine the system.

I have mine set to 'early', and have seen it both while I was driving and on TACC. I've also had it pick up a pedestrian crossing in a parking lot pretty far ahead. I'm not sure where we are drawing the line for "false alarm" as all the times I did actually have to stop, but a couple (like the pedestrian) were a bit too early/not needed at those speeds. I'll think I'll change it back over to the next setting.

I do like that it shuts off all the music when you get the alarm - that really gets your attention.

i got it for the first time today - three times actually. first time i had no idea what it was.

the other two times, in city driving with TACC off.

second time - narrow street, approaching an intersection. other car turned right from the cross street onto my street, facing me. they had enough room to pass but the Tesla must have thought it was dangerous.

third time - the car in front of me turned right; warning alarm was set off by me approaching from behind as they turned off the street. don't think i got that close to it.

i've had it set to Medium but may change to Late, even though "Late" sounds a lot like "Too Late"...

There is a tone similar to what you get when both the brake and accelerator are pushed at the same time and a red symbol briefly appears on the left side of the speedometer that looks a bit like a blood splatter.

- - - Updated - - -

As far as I can tell the car does not brake or otherwise respond to the warning. It's a good bet that every episode is uploaded to Tesla's servers complete with forward video so that they can analyze and refine the system.

I got the first instance the other day, while using TACC on a two-lane curvy road. The warning fired while I was rounding a reasonably sharp curve a bit on the fast side, but completely safe. There was a large dump truck parked on the shoulder which I was briefly headed right for as I steered the car smoothly to the left.

I was quite startled by the warning, and glanced down to see the red "ka-pow" icon on the speedo. In my case, either the brakes fired briefly, or the car went into regen (my foot was not resting on the pedal). There was a definite sharp pulse of deceleration.

It is good (sorta) to know others are seeing false positives, and that this instance was not idiosyncratic to our car. However, scanning this thread, no-one else reported the sharp deceleration. Hmmm....

i have been getting a bunch of false positives in the parking garage at work. as i come down the ramp and am preparing to turn (the hairpin turn that many such garages have), i must be turning the wheel a little bit as i approach the turn, because the Tesla sounds the warning, presumably thinking i am planning on ramming into the line of parked cars there. it doesn't seem to have this situational awareness yet.

I got the first instance the other day, while using TACC on a two-lane curvy road. The warning fired while I was rounding a reasonably sharp curve a bit on the fast side, but completely safe. There was a large dump truck parked on the shoulder which I was briefly headed right for as I steered the car smoothly to the left.

I was quite startled by the warning, and glanced down to see the red "ka-pow" icon on the speedo. In my case, either the brakes fired briefly, or the car went into regen (my foot was not resting on the pedal). There was a definite sharp pulse of deceleration.

It is good (sorta) to know others are seeing false positives, and that this instance was not idiosyncratic to our car. However, scanning this thread, no-one else reported the sharp deceleration. Hmmm....

It sounds like it was probably the TACC that slowed you down. It probably picked up the dump truck as a target vehicle briefly, and was slowing you down to maintain distance from it, before deciding that it was not a target vehicle.

That would be my guess.

My wife drives a 2014 Volvo XC60 with forward collision warning and in a year and a half and 16,000 miles, she's never had a false alarm. Good thing, too, as it also has an autobrake - meaning that it will automatically apply the brakes after warning you if you take no action and it thinks a collision is imminent. Reports of false alarms on the Volvo forums are rare. So it is possible to get this right.

imperative to get this right, I'd say, yeah. Surprising, and I'm being generous, that collision avoidance of all things is at all less than current standard. *rolls eyes and hopes insurance companies are temporarily blind*

My wife drives a 2014 Volvo XC60 with forward collision warning and in a year and a half and 16,000 miles, she's never had a false alarm. Good thing, too, as it also has an autobrake - meaning that it will automatically apply the brakes after warning you if you take no action and it thinks a collision is imminent. Reports of false alarms on the Volvo forums are rare. So it is possible to get this right.
Same here. I currently drive a 2013 S60 with city safety (full brake on collision detection ir camera based) and the adaptative cruise package with collision warning(radar in grill based).

While the city safety did engage 4 times in 2 years, it only did so twice for false positive :
1- was getting in my garage while the door was opening. Car went into panic mode and full brake applied because the door was over the hood, close to the sensor.
2- parked into a spot near a tree with low hanging branches(that would sit very close to the windshield when parked)

In all instances, the system only intervened because there were zero input from myself (steady accelerator or brake, no steering wheel movement)

Btw, this system only engage under 25mph.

The adaptative cruise is another beast : it frequently get messed up when turning on the highway while passing slower traffic. Parked cars also trigger the warning all the time...

You learn the workarounds : in a curve hit the gaz pedal a bit.

Bottom line : these 2 systems work differently and the accuracy is not the same. Tesla could separate both systems like Volvo did : use the always clean camera (behind the windshields wipers) for critical applications (i.e. full auto brake in emergency) and keep the radar and ultrasonic sensors for convenience features like TACC and collision WARNING.

I should get my 85D within 15days : I'll be able to compare it to Volvo's system.