Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Collision avoidance proactively move out of harm's way?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
AP2.5 2018 MX

I was sitting in slowish traffic (20 to 30mph) and about to exit 20 - the dash light up with warning...lane to the left of me was moving slightly faster and a largish truck was somwhat over his line. I could swear the steering wheel moved me over to the right.

Am I imagining it? Does it actualy move you away?

I've had this happen too. If an encroaching obstacle is detected it will move your car over, but only within your detected lane. It won't change lanes — you'll get a "take control!" alert before that'd happen (at least with current software).

I've had this happen too. If an encroaching obstacle is detected it will move your car over, but only within your detected lane. It won't change lanes — you'll get a "take control!" alert before that'd happen (at least with current software).
Yeah, that's exactly it - i got that screaming sound and the signs showed yellow and red on the sides and it moved.

I was on Tesla a few nights ago and noticed they have revamped the Model X page (no idea when - could be really old). Midway down they have a section on Autopilot and if you click ‘Learn More’ they have a demo of ‘Side Collision Avoidance’ as part of Enhanced Autopilot. I can’t link directly to that graphic, but it seems to describe exactly what you experienced.

I thought it was all future stuff not yet activated, but you both had this experience? Are you both on the latest firmware too?

The Best Electric SUV - Model X | Tesla

Reactions: AxeBro
I was on Tesla a few nights ago and noticed they have revamped the Model X page (no idea when - could be really old). Midway down they have a section on Autopilot and if you click ‘Learn More’ they have a demo of ‘Side Collision Avoidance’ as part of Enhanced Autopilot. I can’t link directly to that graphic, but it seems to describe exactly what you experienced.

I thought it was all future stuff not yet activated, but you both had this experience? Are you both on the latest firmware too?

From page 92 of the Tesla Model S Owners Manual:

Tesla Model S Owners Manual said:
Lane Assist may provide steering interventions if Model S drifts into (or close to) an adjacent lane in which an object, such as a vehicle, is detected. In these situations, Model S automatically steers to a safer position in its driving lane. This steering is applied only when Model S is traveling between 30 and 85 mph (48 and 140 km/h) on major roadways with clearly visible lane markings. When Lane Assist applies a steering intervention, the instrument panel briefly displays a warning message.

Warning: Steering interventions are minimal and are not designed to move Model S out of its driving lane. Do not rely on steering interventions to avoid side collisions.

That talks about the car drifting towards an obstacle, but in my experience it also works the other way — an obstacle drifting towards you. The car doesn't know, or at least acknowledge, a difference.

Yeah - I'm on latest available. I'm impressed!