TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Collision avoidance proactively move out of harm's way?

Discussion in 'Model X' started by AxeBro, Apr 1, 2018.

1. AxeBro

AxeBro MrTryTesla.com

AP2.5 2018 MX

I was sitting in slowish traffic (20 to 30mph) and about to exit 20 - the dash light up with warning...lane to the left of me was moving slightly faster and a largish truck was somwhat over his line. I could swear the steering wheel moved me over to the right.

Am I imagining it? Does it actualy move you away?

2. Derek Kessler

Derek Kessler Active Member

I've had this happen too. If an encroaching obstacle is detected it will move your car over, but only within your detected lane. It won't change lanes — you'll get a "take control!" alert before that'd happen (at least with current software).

3. AxeBro

AxeBro MrTryTesla.com

Yeah, that's exactly it - i got that screaming sound and the signs showed yellow and red on the sides and it moved.

4. Seattle Tom

Seattle Tom Member

I was on Tesla a few nights ago and noticed they have revamped the Model X page (no idea when - could be really old). Midway down they have a section on Autopilot and if you click ‘Learn More’ they have a demo of ‘Side Collision Avoidance’ as part of Enhanced Autopilot. I can’t link directly to that graphic, but it seems to describe exactly what you experienced.

I thought it was all future stuff not yet activated, but you both had this experience? Are you both on the latest firmware too?

The Best Electric SUV - Model X | Tesla

• Like x 1
  5. Derek Kessler

Derek Kessler Active Member

From page 92 of the Tesla Model S Owners Manual:

That talks about the car drifting towards an obstacle, but in my experience it also works the other way — an obstacle drifting towards you. The car doesn't know, or at least acknowledge, a difference.

6. AxeBro

AxeBro MrTryTesla.com

Yeah - I'm on latest available. I'm impressed!