TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Collision avoidance when not using autopilot?

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by Andyw2100, Oct 26, 2014.

1. Andyw2100

Andyw2100 Well-Known Member

I haven't been able to find anything written about whether or not the Model S with the new Autopilot functionality has any sort of collision avoidance capabilities when the autopilot is not engaged.

For argument's sake, assuming it does not, do we think something along these lines might be coming in the future via a software update?

As an example of when something like this might be useful, let's say I'm not using the autopilot on a given trip, and a deer jumps directly into my path. I'm guessing the car's computer's reaction time and braking abilities are going to far exceed mine, and I have no problem ceding control to the car to make the best effort to stop in that situation. Is this possible now, without also allowing the car to steer, etc? And if not, do we think it will be soon?

2. green1

green1 Active Member

I reject your argument. These features are almost guaranteed to arrive BEFORE "auto-pilot", not after. These are pretty much required for top safety ratings going forward, and are rumoured to be the main reason for the sensor inclusion on the vehicle.

3. Raffy.Roma

Raffy.Roma Active Member

IMO the collision avoidance feature should always be ON also when the autopilot is OFF. These are two features completely independent from each other. And if I know well Elon I am sure that it is like this for the Model S.

4. DJung

DJung Member

It said that Active Safety was standard on all cars, which presumably includes Collision Avoidance. Since Autopilot is part of the Tech Package and therefore is not standard, the active safety that comes standard on all Model S vehicles should work without Autopilot.

Mercedes has collision avoidance as well, and it works when adaptive CC is not on. Tesla's Autopilot should be no different.

5. Raffy.Roma

Raffy.Roma Active Member

+ 1

6. Andyw2100

Andyw2100 Well-Known Member

Thanks! I'm glad to hear this. I must not have seen or heard what you're referring to with respect to "Active Safety", but it's good to know that we'll have this.