Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Collision Repair Experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
About three weeks ago,I got rear ended just as I was ready to drive away after backing out of a parking lot. My bumper has some damage, but the car drives fine. The other party has accepted liability and I am finally scheduled to take it to Tesla Collision Shop in San Jose, CA next week. Is anyone willing to share experiences - I was in for told that the Body Shop can take 3 days to estimate damage and then determine how much time it will take to fix it. Also, how much would a bumper replacement typically cost?

I imagine it is different everywhere you go but here was my experience.

Someone hit me back in February while parked and drove off. Turned it into my insurance. Sent pictures of damage to repair shop and was approved for repair. There are only like 3 repair shops in my state...took them under mid may to get it in for repair. They just finished repairing it this past Friday ( waiting on parts. Additional damage not seen until bumper was off). They did a great job...couldn't tell it was ever hit. I decided to sell my model y anyway since it had 30k miles on it, one accident now, and I was still offered thousands over what I paid for it a year ago...I have a M3P on order now.

Reactions: 1stTIME-EV
A friend backed into the front of my M3 on October 11th of last year with her large SUV. It was entirely her fault and we both were insured by the same company, so I wasn't worried about any issues regarding insurance. I took my M3 to a Tesla authorized collision center the next day for an estimate. The car was very drivable but the front bumper, frunk lid and one headlight were in bad shape. They told me it would be at least $6000 to repair. They also said that, because of the volume of business they had, they wouldn't be able to take my car in until 11/1. Then I had to wait for an adjuster from my insurance company to do his estimate. He came to my house several days later. The first thing he told me was that his estimate would be on the low side, but not to worry. His estimate was just over $3000. The collision center called me and said I could bring the car in on 10/29. They got to work on it on 11/1. Not long afterwards, I started getting emails from Tesla keeping me appraised of the parts ordered, estimated shipping dates and estimated times of arrival at the collision center. I'd never experienced that with any other car I've owned. The parts list included 28 different items, including an entire new bumper, crash cans, both headlights, the front left and front right fenders, and numerous other parts including screws, nuts, bolts and sensors. Ultimately, the car wasn't ready until 12/13 and I picked it up on 12/15. The final cost was $9,206, but the insurance company covered everything and the car is like new.

Reactions: 1stTIME-EV
A late update, for the benefit of the forum.

This was a 3rd Party insurance case. The Insurance Company had said someone will come over to assess the damage, but no one showed up. Instead they sent a cheque to me for the amount they estimated (~ $1700). I then booked an appointment with Tesla, which was 2 weeks away. Handed over my M3LR to the Tesla Collision Center on 7/5. They took 5 business days to assess the damage. Their initial estimate to complete the work was 4 weeks. I received an updated estimate from Tesla (which was almost 2.7 times what the Insurance had estimated, ~ $4700). Tesla's estimator worked with the insurance and they arrived at an agreement (~ $4500).

The work was completed by 7/19 and I picked up the car on 7/20. The damage wasn't much. The car looks shiny and new, as if nothing had happened. I discovered later that the way they re-did the floor mats in the trunk wasn't the cleanest job. Also, the rubber seals on the Trunk were not put back properly and came off after a few days of driving. That left me disappointed a bit.