Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Collision Repair Times Improving?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After less than a month of ownership, my new Model 3 was hit by driver attempting to cross two lanes of traffic to make a left. The car is now sitting at a Tesla certified body shop (Falls Church Auto Body). It’s only been two days and I’m already dying to get my car back. The shop warned me that the repairs will likely take at least a month because of the wait times for Tesla body parts. I’ve been reading horror stories on these boards 4-9 month wait times, but many of those reports are from last year. I’m interested to know if things have improved or if I should be planning to be without my Tesla until sometime in 2020.

FE2169AA-34A9-4A04-8E23-2ACB80B9429D.jpeg

I was rear-ended on 2019Jul22 in Wisconsin on a vacation road trip. Car needed to be towed to Minneapolis. I just got my car back Oct8. Most of time was spent waiting for Tesla to deliver required parts. With a large enough repair, the body shop usually finds new parts they need when they start the actual repair process. In my case, there were 3 intervals of waiting for parts.

After less than a month of ownership, my new Model 3 was hit by driver attempting to cross two lanes of traffic to make a left. The car is now sitting at a Tesla certified body shop (Falls Church Auto Body). It’s only been two days and I’m already dying to get my car back. The shop warned me that the repairs will likely take at least a month because of the wait times for Tesla body parts. I’ve been reading horror stories on these boards 4-9 month wait times, but many of those reports are from last year. I’m interested to know if things have improved or if I should be planning to be without my Tesla until sometime in 2020.

View attachment 468160
Ours was in an accident 1 month and 1 day after getting it. Put in body shop in Gaithersburg, MD July 24th. Initial estimate received Aug 8th. All parts received and repairs started Sep 11th. Picked up Oct 7th. So parts are still a problem (~61 days), but not like last year. I think given the damage, the body shop (Kenwood Auto Body) did a fine job. It looked like new again when I got it. Also, they are an authorized Tesla repair shop so didn't have to then take it to the SC for any tweaking. Kenwood noted that they often get parts from Tesla that are damaged which they have to repair before installation.

View attachment 468160
Took 2 weeks for all the parts to come in for my $10k repair in July (rear bumper and quarter panel). Took 1 month for the actual repair work to be completed. I think you'll be fine.

My wife got hers about a year ago. 4 days later someone backed into her in a parking lot. ~$15k in damages. Luckily it was still drive able. Took 3 months to get to the front of the line at the body shop (we were picky about where to take it). Took another 3 months to repair. Over half of the wait was parts.

The good news is that the car is beautiful and she hasn't had any residual problems.

Hopefully they've gotten better in the past year. I'm interested to see more feedback. Good luck!

Thought I would post an update. My timeline is looking similar to others on this thread. Parts were ordered by body shop on 10/23. Most of them arrived on 10/28, but several of the body parts sent by Tesla were for the wrong side of the car. The body shop is hoping to complete all of the work before Thanksgiving, but that is entirely dependent on how long it takes Tesla to send the replacement parts.

Hiya,

I live nearby you. My model X got rear ended in early September and we used Rosslyn Auto body in Alexandria to do the repairs. It took about 3-4 weeks for them to get the parts they needed so all in total a little less than 2 months. $14k of damages. Not sure if they wait is any longer or shorter for model 3.

If it makes you feel better, I’m looking at a serious delay getting parts for my Buick as well. The GM strike put them way behind the 8-ball, and now with the factories coming back online, we’re stuck waiting. At this point, looks like a Tesla would be faster.

Only took 95 days to get the Buick repaired. Most of that was waiting on parts. Getting my Tesla repaired would’ve been a LOT faster.

Tesla said on their investor call that they were going to ramp up spare parts production to help reduce these delays. So it sounds like at the moment it's still a problem, but maybe your timing will make it not so bad if they start the ramp up right away.

My accident was June 19, 2020. I was rear ended while stopped at a red traffic light. Today, September 25th, over three long months later, a Tesla authorized repair center, one of two in Atlanta, still does not have the parts to repair my car. If it were 2018 and Tesla had just begun building Model 3 I might understand, but I have had this car since August 2018, I reserved it March 31, 2016. Back then I expected a long wait. I expected to have to wait days maybe even a few weeks, but not months. Frustrated!!!

My accident was June 19, 2020. I was rear ended while stopped at a red traffic light. Today, September 25th, over three long months later, a Tesla authorized repair center, one of two in Atlanta, still does not have the parts to repair my car. If it were 2018 and Tesla had just begun building Model 3 I might understand, but I have had this car since August 2018, I reserved it March 31, 2016. Back then I expected a long wait. I expected to have to wait days maybe even a few weeks, but not months. Frustrated!!!

I feel your pain. Sorry - that's a lousy situation... It took me almost 5 months to get our Buick back after its deer encounter. And it still had issues. The upside was that it gave me the rationale to sell it and buy a Model X instead. :)