Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Colmo ceramic key ring

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I'm looking at getting either the COLMO or CNICK for my wife. I'm more concerned about how fragile these rings are to prevent a nasty ring avulsion incident. Are either the wood or the zirconia ceramic fragile enough to break first before pulling skin off?

So I'm looking at getting either the COLMO or CNICK for my wife. I'm more concerned about how fragile these rings are to prevent a nasty ring avulsion incident. Are either the wood or the zirconia ceramic fragile enough to break first before pulling skin off?

I am brutal to mine. No damage although starting to look a little rough around the edges. I have no doubt it would buff out. Meh. Not important to me. It’s the Cnick.

I got the ring as well. I go boating and my phone connection is not 100% reliable with the whole blue tooth thing.. I love mine. bought it via ebay from China. Only downside.. Wife we REALLY not happy that I replaced my 24+ year wedding band... and accused me of now being married to my car. After 26 years... It is not bad !

If you have an Android phone with NFC you can simply just tap your phone to the b-pillar and center console.

I think I'll be getting the COLMO one. Purely for convenience so I don't have to carry my key card around all the time.

I can just see it now. I dash out of the car to get something forgetting my phone in the car and come back to a locked car. (I've been reading about different experiences people have where the car sometimes locks with a phone inside.

Is this true on the MX and MS or just the Y/3? On my model S, I believe I'm SOL without cell service for phone access.

You don't need cell service to unlock your car if you're within Bluetooth range of the car and have the phone set up as a key.

Regarding taping using your phone as an nfc 'card' I was able to get it to work on my 3 but others have reported not being able to do so. I'm not sure if it's the same for the MX and MS.

• Informative
Reactions: 73Bruin
@tk1971 - How has your experience with the ring been after a few months? How does it take to water, particularly salt water?

has anyone taken the wooden rings into the ocean?

it’s been holding up great. I even got one for the wife since it’s her daily driver. She reported back one day that her phone stopped working and the ring allowed her in without her rummaging through her purse for the key card.

Reactions: surfin
I just found this while browsing for Y accessories.

Tesla Model 3 Key Ring Custom Ceramic Ring Made By Model 3 Key Card DIY Key Card | eBay

It’s made with the RFID extracted from a Tesla key card then put into a zirconia ceramic ring. At 7mm wide it’s bigger than the wedding band I wear. I’m going to give it a try.

I’ll report back when I receive it.

I ended up getting the CNICK ring as I've seen reports of the ceramic ring snapping. Also, the CNICK comes in ½ ring sizes as well. Overall it's worked great for me after ~6 months of ownership. Both are available on Amazon.

Im mostly concerned of its width and how fat it is.
My wedding ring is somewhere around 4mm in width, but both colmo and cnick are 7mm, thats almost double.
How disturbing it is in the hand?
I sometimes go without my phone for sports, so it can be very nice if I can just use the ring instead of carrying the card, but Im concerned whether its comfortable enough.

I was really excited about these rings when I first got my car. Now I have no idea why I would want it when I always have my phone. Phone works perfectly. What are the use cases for needing this ring?
Same use case as the key card. Emergency use in case your phone is stolen, out of battery, left behind, bluetooth module decides to not initiate in the car, etc. It most likely won’t be used much but is there when you need it.

I was really excited about these rings when I first got my car. Now I have no idea why I would want it when I always have my phone. Phone works perfectly. What are the use cases for needing this ring?

You may lose your phone, or it may run out of battery, or you may want to leave it locked in the car (I do this at the beach). The ring needs no power, and is always with you (in my case, even when swimming).