TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Color and Carbon Fiber

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by Excimer, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Excimer

Excimer Member

#1 Excimer, Sep 22, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2010
    This may be a naive question but how does the carbon fiber age? What does it look like when it is in the sun for 2 or 3 years? I am thinking of an all silver (no exterior exposed CF). But in my opinion the wheel choice of brushed aluminium or black really does not look great with the all silver. So, was thinking that the CF might make the black wheels less objectionable. Have not been able to find a wheel that looks good (in my mind!) with the silver. Thoughts?

2. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

I don't think the carbon fiber discolors with age. Carbon tends to "hold its' blackness".

Regarding black wheels on a silver car: 4144559056_71411e526c_z.jpg 2325558555_d0aea6569b_z.jpg

3. Excimer

Excimer Member

Imagine an all silver car with NO black (roof, front splitter) Also are those black wheels available in silver with the 2.5??

4. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

2008 model with Silver hardtop and stock (for 2008) wheels:
    p4-flatbed-450.jpg

2010 Silver with silver hardtop and base 2010 wheels:
    4387647309_4bc738573d_z.jpg

New 2.5 premium silver wheels (on a Thunder Gray Roadster 2.5):
    Tesla_Roadster_2_5_Drivin_Ivan_2.JPG

5. Excimer

Excimer Member

Thank you all for the photos and replies. I really love the all silver. Your photos have convinced me that the Roadster Sport wheel in non black will be fine. Dilemma solved. Thx.

6. Nvbob

Nvbob Roadster 1256

This is what we are considering for the spring.

Attached Files:

7. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

8. Some of the carbon fiber interior panels in my Ferrari F40 have tended to yellow/dull a bit, but this car is 18 years old. I don't think you have anything to worry about with the Tesla it will take a long time to notice.

I have a Silver Tesla with no exposed Carbon Fiber, I think it looks great. In my opinion the silver color is probably one of the best colors when you have the black soft top on. The contrast really looks sharp. Top down its a different matter the car does not look as good as some of the "wilder" colors. If I had to do it all over again I think I would have gotten white or one of the "wild" colors.

9. CarbonOne

CarbonOne Banned

Carbon fiber does not yellow, the epoxy in the carbon fiber yellows because epoxy has no protection to UV rays by itself. Most factory CF parts are clear coated but eventually the UV resistant chemicals in the clear coat fade away leaving the epoxy exposed to the UV rays. Thats why when clear coating carbon fiber, its best to use the best clear coat available.

To restore the carbon fiber you have to sand down all the clear and re clear it.