Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Color choice stress!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, a good problem to have. Right now I have Green/Tan interior ordered, still in the two-week holding period where I can change my mind.

I've had green cars before, including a green XK8, and it was gorgeous. But it was also a much smaller car. I'm waffling between the green and something "safer".

So . . . help me out. I want a car that looks great and gets compliments.

1. Muticoat Red / Black interior: I LOVE this color. But it's too much. I'm probably not that guy. But I want to be him.

2. (Pearl or regular) White with tan or black interior: I like these colors a lot. They sparkle. These are safe choices, meet my criteria, and I'm thinking about going back to the showroom to look again and maybe change my order.

3. Green / tan: I like that this color is less popular. British racing green is classic and the photos I've seen remind me of the green Jaguar I used to drive. But I'm worried it doesn't pop enough and the green will look too black. I've only seen the paint samples in the showroom and have not seen a green one in person. The S is so big I think it might be too dark and gloomy.

Yes, white vs green is about as polarized as I can get. And ordering two cars is not an option. Like I said, good problems to have, and I appreciate any input from those of you with green cars and what you think of them. Thanks!

Green/tan is a nice combo, but the green is very dark. You don't see the green unless it's in the sun, but when it is in the sun, it's spectacular.

Grey/grey is really nice, but wasn't really the look I was going for.

Every time I see the multi-coat red, part of me wishes that I'd waited - there's just a certain depth to that color that's something special.

I'll critique your list of three in reverse order:

3. This is an American car (heck, even Jaguar isn't so much a British car anymore). You're right, the Tesla green doesn't 'pop'. A big HOWEVER though, on the Model X, I think that same green will look GREAT.

2. Pearl white was our main choice (multi-coat red wasn't available when I first went into the Tesla store to look through color choices. My wife LOVED the pearl-white. However, past experiences with Lexus IS350 in pearl white, my dad's pearl white Caddy, and a custom pearl white painted car I built years ago all ended up with paint discoloration on different panels, even with regular washing and wax application. Plastic bumpers showed color discoloration a lot more than metal body parts. I didn't want to deal with that on a $100+k car.

1. Be THAT guy. Multi-coat red seemed to be too sporty for us in pictures on a car that we wanted to portray luxury car; we already have two sports cars, one in red and the other in black. I saw multi-coat red in person and have regretted not changing my color since. I ordered black, just to be safe. After eliminating pearl white and at the time of order, we tossed around black, dark blue, and brown (more root beer than brown). We went safe....I'll end up repainting a few years down the road anyway and will probably go with a custom color. At this point all our cars have been repainted a non-OEM color, with the exception of a Toyota Tacoma, but I just bought it this past March. So in another year or so, that may even get repainted too.[

Yes, a good problem to have. Right now I have Green/Tan interior ordered, still in the two-week holding period where I can change my mind.

I've had green cars before, including a green XK8, and it was gorgeous. But it was also a much smaller car. I'm waffling between the green and something "safer".

1. Muticoat Red / Black interior: I LOVE this color. But it's too much. I'm probably not that guy. But I want to be him.

2. (Pearl or regular) White with tan or black interior: I like these colors a lot. They sparkle. These are safe choices, meet my criteria, and I'm thinking about going back to the showroom to look again and maybe change my order.

3. Green / tan: I like that this color is less popular. British racing green is classic and the photos I've seen remind me of the green Jaguar I used to drive. But I'm worried it doesn't pop enough and the green will look too black. I've only seen the paint samples in the showroom and have not seen a green one in person. The S is so big I think it might be too dark and gloomy.

Yes, white vs green is about as polarized as I can get. And ordering two cars is not an option. Like I said, good problems to have, and I appreciate any input from those of you with green cars and what you think of them. Thanks!

Luder (and everyone), I think you have made some excellent points, thanks.

Went back to the showroom today and looked at everything in detail again. I've seen white, red, gray, and blue cars, and of course they have all the color samples. Pretty sure I'm going to become "that guy" and get the red. Red has always been the color I pictured in my mind. Green is very nice, sophisticated and dark, but I want something that shines and pops a bit more. I could have gone white or pearl, but my wife much prefers red over white, so who am I to argue?

I'll give it another day or two. Also would switch to the black interior just because black has always seemed to wear better and my cars with tan interiors have tended to get stained (even just by blue jeans) somewhat easily. Red looks equally good with either interior color, I think. Fun stuff. Fortunately, it is probably impossible to make a mistake when picking a color. They all look so good.

I did red and love it.

Imagine yourself behind the wheel.
DSC_0555c.jpg

I went through the same choices, we have had blue cars for 30 years, an XK8 in Safire Blue a XJS in midnight blue and an ML430 in Azure Blue. All beautiful but done with blue. We liked white but my wife says blah, silver was in the mix. Back in the 70s my wife had a red Alfa and I had a Carmen red XKE. Once we made the trip to both Menlo Park and Santana Row and looked at the Multi-Coat red we fell in love. We thought we should re visit the 70's and do the red. Simply the best, no regrets and as I have said before we continue to get compliments on the color from everyone who sees it. As far as the interior, that also is an individual choice. Black is hot and the tan is complementary to the red and is subdued. We have heard on this blog that some think the interior is less than stellar, but everyone who sits in in it loves the clean uncluttered look. My2cents.

I went with blue and have no regrets. Was very torn between blue and green, in part because it's less common and I like the classic British racing green. But here in the northeast I felt it was a little too dark - San Diego is another story.

You should definitely see one in person before finalizing. A local green owner was kind enough to bring his by my place and give s test ride (thanks again, Robert!) but easiest place to see colors in person is your local SC. They usually have an assortment on hand, whether for service or delivery.

I say go green! Sure it looks black most of the time (which I think black looks very aggressive), but has the side benefit of looking a different color in a different light. Sounds like a win win to me! (I have a black/tan and totally love it!)

Until my Model S I never had a red car until I ordered, but I don't regret it for a minute (I changed it from blue at the very last minute when the multi-coat red was made available). The few times I've seen other Model S's in my area, they've been black or other dark colors. Frankly they look pretty boring. I think the red shows off the lines of the design better than any of the other color choices.

As a card carrying member of the green/tan club I have to support that choice. The green varies quite a bit with light conditions and holds up very well between cleanings. Dark enough not to show minor dirt and not so monochrome that you get the swirling from road film. I personally think the tan is excellent and certainly keeps the car cooler. The shade is a bit lighter however than many tan interiors and if you are going to be in a rougher environment, ranch/farm, lots of kids, etc I would go with the black, which also looks good with the green by the way.

Was Silver/Grey and, with the advent of the P+ option, sold it and my Red/Black will be here in three weeks. I've always had Silver/XYZ BMWs and the like for resale and really had not considered Red for a daily driver. I guess I'm with artsci on this one as I too will soon have a Red daily driver and my Tesla Grin back.

If you get the tan interior the headliner will match. There is enough black contrast in a tan interior that a black interior will look good with the tan headliner. I am not so sure about a grey interior. The tan will probably be cooler than black in the summer.

I like the red the best, but I ordered the brown because I was stuck on red cars and thought a new color would be a better choice. The grey wheels look awesome with the brown.

I have seen all the colors. In bright sunlight every one of the darker colors are spectacular. The blue and green will look black in lower light conditions.

I really like the grey exterior and would have been quite happy if I had ordered it.

If you have never had a red car, I would suggest getting the multi-coat red.

I have probably made your choice harder, but there are no bad color choices for the Model S. I think the issues about color variation over time with pearl white are a valid reason to stay clear of the pearl white although it looks great when the car is new.

Agree that there really is no bad color choice here. I have no doubt that I'd be staring and admiring my taste in color regardless of which one I picked! I have seen all in person now except the brown, but I did consider that color as well. It looks beautiful in pics. I'd love to see a brown S in the wild!

Agree with others, in the end each have their great qualities, that it would be hard to go wrong.

If you haven't seen Medved's signature - portfolio of exterior colors posted here, be sure to search it out, as all the colors are fully represented.

But here's links to the ones your most interested in...

Picasa Web Albums - Te sla - Model S - Green

Picasa Web Albums - Te sla - Model S - White

Picasa Web Albums - Te sla - Model S - Pearl White...

Picasa Web Albums - Te sla - Model S - Multicoat Red...

Model S Shows Its True Colors (Photos)