Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Color choice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can agree that blue is dark. But I love my blue to death. I also agree you need good light to really bring out that blue, but when you are in the sunlight with it and its clean, it looks amazing. Its a beautiful deep blue, which you can see in any picture.

I absolutely agree with this. There was a blue Model S in the showroom when I went for a test drive. I was standing next to it, splitting my attention between it and a Roadster, for about 10 minutes before I realized it wasn't black. I'm pretty sure I made my color decision then and there; well before I actually decided to buy the car.

It's often been said that the Tesla comes in white, silver, black, black, black, black, grey, white, or red.

Nice one! I also like: "Tesla sells their Model S in 50 shades of black - and red."

We chose black even though my wife opted for red first. We are very happy with the choice but when we see a red drive by, it does make us turn our heads.
And that's my main point: in black, this car is very discrete. People who don't know it's a Tesla won't even notice it. In brighter colors however, especially red, the car screams "Look at me!"
All of Tesla's colors look good on the car, but I think it would have been cool to have a few special ones to choose from - a burnt orange, a dark plum, an "envy" green of sorts...

Reactions: FutureShock
I absolutely agree with this. There was a blue Model S in the showroom when I went for a test drive. I was standing next to it, splitting my attention between it and a Roadster, for about 10 minutes before I realized it wasn't black. I'm pretty sure I made my color decision then and there; well before I actually decided to buy the car.

My son and I play the "is it black" game every time we see a dark colored Tesla. :)

On a sunny day, it's usually pretty easy, but if it's cloudy or during the evening/night, it's quite a challenge.

I so wanted the blue based on the color in the design studio, but once I saw it in person, I just could not do it. If I was choosing between black and blue, it would have been great, but I did not want a black car, and the blue would "be" black much of the time.

I know color choice is personal, but it is really hard when all the cars are not available to see in person. I have to confirm by Tuesday and here is where I am at right now in order. 1.Silver with Sunroof 2. White with Sunroof 3. Red with no sunroof. I have had black before and shows dirt. The Blue and Green look black at night in my opinion. Anyone ordered and wish they had a different color?

I've had the chance to see all of the colors on real cars in person (except the new Grey.) All of them have their good points. My personal feeling is that this is a BIG car and it looks even bigger in the lighter colors. I think white is by far the worst of the color choices. The silver is OK, blandish, but not bad looking at all and since you have that or red without sunroof as a choice I'd say go with Silver.

On the other hand, I have the green and am glad that is the choice I made. It is subtle but a great color on the car.

But as others have said, go with what speaks to you. Stop analyzing it and click the button :biggrin:

Just back from the local Service Center and saw both a blue and multi-coat red side by side.
Let me say this about the blue... in bright clear sunlight, cloudless day at dead noon, sun at 45 degrees, the blue
from some angles (especially when looking straight down) does appear to be a black. However as the angles of the
Tesla change it goes from black to blue and back from blue to black. The sun really plays tricks with the blue.
Quite a fascinating color.

The multi-coat red is a really nice deep sophisticated color. The P85 wearing it had the brown/tan performance seats.
To me this MC red is a very nice color for the Tesla as it really reveals the curves of the car body very well.
Along the sides of the car, the MC red appeared to darken up the closer you were to the pavement due the reflection.
The dark grey cyclone 21" wheels also paired well with the car.

I have not yet seen a new Metallic Grey (the original Metallic Grey was a bit lighter in color than the so called "New" Metallic Grey) Tesla... That is a color I would like to see with the tan interior and
panoramic roof and grey 21 wheels. I hope it is not too dark?

Last edited:
Too much sunlight sometimes. Without a standard sunshade. The accessories one is a bit aftermarket cheezy.

The pano is pretty much a must have with this car. It does open up the cabin. I have a homemade sunshade made from thick foam posterboard. $.98 from walmart. Thanks Great Dane for the tip. It blocks heat and light. It makes that cabin 15-20 degrees cooler when sitting in the hot sun all day.

Pick whatever your heart desires. No color is a wrong color. It's almost impossible for a color to make this car look ugly.

+1

IMG_2547.JPG

go Red with sunroof.

For countermeasures I choose grey, it gives that second to slow down before you stand out from the pack
or when you show up quietly from behind a hill on a country road.

For ultimate safety I'd choose white, or black if you live near the arctic circle. Silver is also safe and pretty but
it will make you stand out.

Tesla brown apart from the gastrointestinal connotations looks beautiful and subdued yet distinctive. Great combo with a tan/matte-obeche/black-liner interior. I sat in one and admired it for 10 minutes, wife won't buy that color (too much time in the GI lab).

IMHO they darkened the blue and green to the point that they depersonalized and are too close to black. British racing green or aquamarine blue would have looked great.

Red with dark roof, wheels and CF spoiler and tan interior literally gives me an anticipatory erection, female driver a must
with that combo. It is also more expensive, a cop magnet, toro sees the flag and charges:)

My only black car was the Turbo X, and I will never have another ever again, pretty for 30 minutes after detail.

- - - Updated - - -

Dark colors absorb sunlight and heat.

Model S does not have the strongest AC on the market.

White reflect sunlight and heat. And Pearl makes it distinctive from the common white.

Pano roof does add headroom and an airy sunlight. But also heat. And 150 lbs.

Too much sunlight sometimes. Without a standard sunshade. The accessories one is a bit aftermarket cheezy.

Don't forget the added headroom, and then 5mm of glass only between your noggin and whatever rock happens to end up
under the 5000lb car in rollover situations.

Last edited:
The pano is pretty much a must have with this car. It does open up the cabin.

I specifically did not want the pano roof. Didn't want the extra expense, extra heat, and don't need the extra light or the headroom (I'm 6'2"). The cabin feels huge to me without it.

As to color, don't like really dark colors and am happy with the silver. Decent visibility to other drivers, easy to keep clean, and looks great!

Last edited:
If they had a solid british racing green I'd order that over the current metallic green in a heartbeat.
<ahem />

<supercilious tone of voice on>
As there is no single shade of green that can be called "British Racing Green", it must be accepted that only a British vehicle can be presented in BRG. Classics and more recent objects of desire come to mind.
</supercilious tone off> :p

• Funny
Reactions: FutureShock
<ahem />

<supercilious tone of voice on>
As there is no single shade of green that can be called "British Racing Green", it must be accepted that only a British vehicle can be presented in BRG. Classics and more recent objects of desire come to mind.
</supercilious tone off> :p

Yeah yeah I know. But I'd order a Tesla in one of those sorts of colors over the current green very easily.