Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Color choice?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yesterday, I placed my order for a 70kw, auto pilot with upgraded seats (this is my first post). I chose the multi-coat deep blue, but my daughter told me that white would be a better color for practical reasons. The following rationales were provided and I need to make a decision within a few days: She believes that blue will show scratches and dirt more than white. As I live in Southern Florida, the white may require less cooling, thus increasing range a bit. Repairs on the multi-coat blue may be more expensive than the plain white. Please give me your opinions about which color makes most sense. I do like them both. Thanks. Happy to join this group.

Thank you for pointing me in the direction of this video. Very nicely done. It answered the question about dirt (blue is better than white). Still curious about the differential cost of repair of a multi-coat paint and the impact of color on cooling (range). Any opinions on these matters would be appreciated (I have five more days to decide on a change).

Get it white since that option won't cost you a thing, and if you change your mind about the color, have it wrapped in whatever your heart desires!

Personally I would not factor things like cooling and scratches into the color choice. Get what will make you happy to look at. While I love the blue, I could not justify the cost associated with it since it wasn't my favorite color of blue. I spent $3000 for a blue wrap that I love way more and if I ever change my mind, I just have to peel it off.

Reactions: mblakele
Agree with the others that say -- get what YOU want. I've had varying shades and metallics of white, black, blue, green, gray and even a copper-tone over the years and have lived in SoCal, Hawaii, Arizona and Georgia (often traveling to Florida).
  • IMHO outside color isn't as significant regarding cabin heat than your choice of interior color (black being warmest) -- and if cabin heat is what worries you, applying high quality tint like Photosync to at least the side and rear windows provides very significant heat rejection.
  • I'm a detailing nut when it comes to my rides, wash them nearly every week, and I've gone through a car wash exactly twice in the past 20+ years that I can remember when I had no other choice. Personally I find white or metallic white (Pearl White Multi-Coat in Tesla terms) to be easy to maintain -- it shows minimal swirls if you do go to car washes or are not careful how you wash your ride. Be aware though that the way the side panels behind each wheel of MS are designed, if you go through mud and puddles a lot, you will see the splashes -- nothing you can really do to prevent it. Black can be a devil to maintain compared to other colors, but can be done. I personally love darker blue shades, but they can have the swirls problem nearly as bad as black -- IIRC the present shade of Tesla Blue though isn't as deep as the original "Ocean Blue" was -- it's more vibrant now, so it may not be quite as hard to maintain in that regard. For me, if you care about easiest to maintain, and an outside color that holds up best with increasing dust, dirt and the occassional micro scratches, I'd go with silver as my first choice, or a lighter shade of grey as my second.
  • If you care about resale value, you may want to peruse sites like Kelly Blue Book, etc. Note that in most markets, some colors like blues, greens, etc tend to generate less money than the standard white, black and grey --- depending upon of course what buyer you come up with.

There are many opinions, but not a lot of actual facts when it comes to color, so again, go with your gut and enjoy.

Reactions: chriSharek
First of all, welcome! I'll echo the comments here - GET WHAT YOU WANT. I'm also in FL and I went back and forth with the red and blue - I just wanted a color. When the new blue came out last year, I ordered it. Also, because you'll probably want the pano roof being in FL (I would hope so) you'll want to carefully consider the interior. While I like the look and richness of the black leather interior, I know better than getting that in FL with the Pano roof. I went with the tan.

Hope this helps! Again, congratulations!

I'm going to parrot everyone else -- get the color you want.

My entire life I've driven white or black cars (one deep purple beater when I was 16). This was for very practical reasons and I felt very responsible and adult. When I ordered my Tesla Model S, I got it in "Why Hello Officer Red" (my term).

It makes me happy every time I look at it. I've been driving the car 4 months now (8k miles) and I still catch the side mirrors or hood and smile.

There are many other ways to be a responsible adult. Get the color you want.

Reactions: chriSharek
OK, so I think you get you have to pick a color you like but as someone who lives in FL, I wish I would have gotten a white car. I ended up getting black and feel it shows scratches more and of course is hotter. If I could do it over, I would have gotten perl white.

I am torn between the Blue and Titanium. The variation on Titanium based on the light is nice, I have never had a car in a similar color. Have had a few blue and one white cars. Seems like the Titanium may be easy to keep.

The new blue is absolutely stellar. This is a picture of my delivery - but it looks even better in the sun.

Attachments

• 20160325_172453.jpg
    20160325_172453.jpg
    299.2 KB · Views: 98