TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Color indecision

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by Study Joe, Apr 5, 2014.

1. Study Joe

Study Joe Member

#1 Study Joe, Apr 5, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2014
    I am in an endless feedback loop of indecision. Please advise.

Given set factors of P85, pano roof, spoiler, and standard 19s which is a better color Blue, Pearl White, Grey, or Red?

How would red brake calipers look with blue and standard 19s? I can't find a single photo.

2. patn

patn Member

Silver with tan interior... haven't seen a better combo yet.

3. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

Given the standard 19s, I'd eliminate the Grey: bland meets blander! OTOH, if you couple the Grey with either the Tesla grey 21s or aftermarket grey 19s (Rial Luganos or TSportlines), that'd be a slippery fish right there!

Blue is not a very convincing color; struggles to not look black most of the time.

Red and White are close given your choices otherwise (including the spoiler). It's a close call but, I'd give it to the Red.

4. Mr X

Mr X Future Owner

The standard 19's looks best with Red as they standout and Red is the most standout color and one of the most gorgeous colors.

Pearl White would be a great color if you got the rims painted black or grey, but if not then it would look kind of dull but still would be nice.

Blue is kind of dull as well although it looks good with tan interior but still wouldn't choose it. Grey is alright but wouldn't and couldn't choose it when Red is a choice.

So Red... or Pearl White. But i'd go with red no question... and no redgrets. Red will show less dirt too.

5. Raffy.Roma

Raffy.Roma Active Member

6. Rockster

Rockster Active Member

By an amazing coincidence, I must vote for the same color S that I drive: MC Red.

7. rjcbox

rjcbox Member

1623453_10152244429027801_131048838_n.jpg DSCF1477%20cropped.JPG
    Need I say more??

8. Twoeagle

Twoeagle Member

Grey with grey 21s. Red calipers and black interior. No other color matches red calipers better than the grey one. So I chose exactly this :)

9. Btrflyl8e

Btrflyl8e Active Member

I love my blue and think it is a classy look, but I also think the gray is really beautiful, even with just the 19s. And add red calipers, that would be my choice!

10. Raffy.Roma

Raffy.Roma Active Member

11. SeminoleFSU

SeminoleFSU Member

Easy- Pearly White looks amazing with the contrast of light & dark.. especially with the pano and spoiler... White is also easier to keep clean. Just my $.02

2nd choice would be grey with grey wheels.

12. SwedishAdvocate

SwedishAdvocate Active Member

#12 SwedishAdvocate, Apr 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    1. FWIW and IMO, you really can’t go wrong with any of these colors. Just pick the color you’d like to have.

2. Red will of course stand out more than the default brake caliper color. But again, IMO, red calipers will look good with all these four colors.

And since your shortlist includes both pearl white and grey: Color is of course a very personal thing. If I could buy a Model S I would probably go with the silver. It doesn’t reflect as much sunlight as a white, but as I understand it, silver is the most practical color choice since it’s best at hiding dirt, thus keeping the car ‘representable’ longer after a wash.

And since it’s easier to keep it looking mint I would go with a black interior. And leather since you can just wipe it clean with a damp cloth of some kind.

Red calipers on a silver Model S will really ‘pop’ though, so I personally would probably go with the default dark grey calipers on a silver car.

Leilani Munter’s car is silver with black interior, and it looks good to me (hers is sans leather though…):

And some photos here: took my baby to the wind tunnel

Caveat: I haven’t seen anything in person. I’ve only seen pictures and video. :rolleyes:

13. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

I love my Pearl White, and it's perfect for me (looks great with the dark pano, dark spoiler, and dark aftermarket rims), but every time I see the car in red, I think.. yeah, maybe I should've done ​that.

14. rjcbox

rjcbox Member

Could you please post pics of this, specifically the red calipers w/ grey car?

15. SOCALS

SOCALS Member

I almost ordered the blue, then I saw a Grey Model S displayed in Tesla’s Costa Mesa Store, it took less than 10 seconds for me to change my mind. I ordered Grey!!!

16. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

This highlights an important point for anyone else stuck in Color Dilemma: you have to go look at the real cars.

17. JohnQ

JohnQ Active Member

Driving a blue loaner today while mine is in for its annual. While I know many love the color, I have to really pay attention to notice that it's not black ... it's overcast today.

18. 403portside

403portside Member

Blue/tan + grey wheels :)

yne3y8u8.jpg

19. IMBigg

IMBigg Member

I think all of the colors are great but for me, the best combo was Multicoat Red with carbon fiber spoiler, grey rims, and red calipers.

20. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

Like Hybris's beauty here but for the red calipers:

Delivery of my P85+