Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Color of SN1?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The first Model 3 to come off the assembly line will have exceptional importance. Photos will show up in media outlets all over the world. So Tesla undoubtedly has given a lot of thought as to the color they are painting it. The most widely shown prototype was silver; do that again? White is traditionally the most popular car color (and my choice). Black is formal and classic. Red? Nah. The dark blue metallic is impressive, but conservative. Difficult choice. But the color that would make the biggest statement, that would be the biggest show stopper — would be an entirely new color. Not a Model 3 RC color, not a Model S/X color. Just imagine if they unveiled the first production Model 3, and it was bright yellow! Now that would blow a lot of people away!

Actually, we may never know which specific car was "first" off the line. It's not a black and white issue. The line starts very slowly and gradually speeds up. Cars could be built "on the assembly line" and never be sold but used for other purposes. At the July 28th event Tesla will be showing a lot of new 3s at the same time. Which one was first? If you think VIN XXXXXX1 is the "first", then fine. But that may not be the car that gets photographed much.

Same color as my HoverJag :)
Model3_HotOrange.JPG
HoverJag (Medium).jpg

Reactions: Sonny Daze
Will someone please explain this love for drab colors? I was looking at the color options for the S and X and I really only see 2, red and blue. If there is one thing I am a bit disappointed about the Model 3 (besides the wood trim dashboard) this would be it.

I understand that black, white and silver are generally inoffensive and therefore they make good colors for reselling, but I can't believe the number of people who would actually choose those as their first option. Personally, I don't care enough about the color to pay for an upgrade if it costs, so I'll probably end up getting black. But please, someone explain to me why if you had any choice in the world, you would get white or black or silver.

But please, someone explain to me why if you had any choice in the world, you would get white or black or silver.
Bright solid white is not drab. It stays new looking after many years, and perhaps most importantly, it is highly visible to other drivers, too many of which apparently do not use their mirrors or look over their shoulders before changing lanes — into a space already occupied by another car. I have had that happen to me too often, and only avoided a collision by quickly braking/swerving out of the way. Otherwise, I might go for a brighter color (yellow would tempt, but very unlikely this will be offered—that also not too popular).

James Bond drives silver.

Reactions: 1208
Bright solid white is not drab. It stays new looking after many years, and perhaps most importantly, it is highly visible to other drivers, too many of which apparently do not use their mirrors or look over their shoulders before changing lanes — into a space already occupied by another car. I have had that happen to me too often, and only avoided a collision by quickly braking/swerving out of the way. Otherwise, I might go for a brighter color (yellow would tempt, but very unlikely this will be offered—that also not too popular).

James Bond drives silver.

Bright could be done in any color though. I realize it's not going to be in the 3, but you could have bright red, green, blue or pink.

As for looking new for many years, that is a reasonable point for white, but a negative for black.

Maybe drab was the wrong word there, I really just meant boring. I am looking forward to the 3 because it is different from everything else out there. I favor the aero wheels for a similar reason. When it comes to the paint you get a choice of plain plain and plain.

Reactions: Chris L
Actually, we may never know which specific car was "first" off the line. It's not a black and white issue. The line starts very slowly and gradually speeds up. Cars could be built "on the assembly line" and never be sold but used for other purposes. At the July 28th event Tesla will be showing a lot of new 3s at the same time. Which one was first? If you think VIN XXXXXX1 is the "first", then fine. But that may not be the car that gets photographed much.
It'll be interesting to see what the mix of colors will be for the first 30 cars. Will these first 30 owners even get to configure their cars for color and other options or will they be essentially prix fixe?