Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Color of SN1?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think they should go for something like this :p

Volkswagen Golf Harlequin: VW’s Strangest Idea?
800px-VWGolfHarlequin.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: hoang51 and ChrisJ
Wouldn't one assume that SN001 will be one of the production colors? It stands to reason that it represents the first off the "assembly line" and would, thus, have to be one of the available colors at launch. My bet is on the deep metallic blue we've seen on the RC cars since the M3 is bluestar.

I cannot explain it at all. And it drives me nuts. For the last decade almost all cars are black, white, grey or silver. It's like the automotive world went monochrome. There is some evidence of this starting to change, but it's slow.

Tesla, should be offering a pallet like what Austin Martin offers! On the Rapid S, which looks like a ICE version of the S, they offer 29 body colors, 6 wheel caliper colors and dozens of colors for every little interior detail!

Aston Martin | Rapide S | Configure

I really hope we start to get something other than black, white, varying mixes of black and white, one red and one blue.

I actually read something about clothing a while back that said you could basically predict the economy performance based on whether or not people dressed colorfully. Basically blacks and greys meant that people thought the economy was in bad shape and vice versa. I wonder if that applies to car colors as well.

I cannot explain it at all. And it drives me nuts. For the last decade almost all cars are black, white, grey or silver. It's like the automotive world went monochrome. There is some evidence of this starting to change, but it's slow.

Tesla, should be offering a pallet like what Austin Martin offers! On the Rapid S, which looks like a ICE version of the S, they offer 29 body colors, 6 wheel caliper colors and dozens of colors for every little interior detail!

Aston Martin | Rapide S | Configure

I really hope we start to get something other than black, white, varying mixes of black and white, one red and one blue.

It's crazy. When I've traveled outside the US, I've always been happily surprised how many buildings and cars were something with real color (not 10 gradations of gray). There are a few theories; metallic paint, "boldness", risk aversion, etc. Most boil down to, from what I can tell, "safety". How many customers, what's the resale value, does it draw attention, etc.

A Brief History Of Car Colors — And Why Are We So Boring Now?
Why Are Our Cars Painted Such Boring Colors?
https://www.usnews.com/news/article...h-the-whole-world-prefers-boring-colored-cars

Is this safety just in car colors or a societal shift? Who knows. For what it's worth, my car is red and I love red.

2012-Mitsubishi-Outlander-SE-drivers-side-view-in-motion.jpg

Mine is fire engine red and it sure is easy to spot in a crowded parking lot.

I really wish some colors would come back. At least some are starting to show up on new mustangs. There is an Audi S3 always parked at Chick-fil-A that is really bright orange like a 50/50 ice cream bar. It looks stunning.

Reactions: ikjadoon
It's crazy. When I've traveled outside the US, I've always been happily surprised how many buildings and cars were something with real color (not 10 gradations of gray). There are a few theories; metallic paint, "boldness", risk aversion, etc. Most boil down to, from what I can tell, "safety". How many customers, what's the resale value, does it draw attention, etc.

A Brief History Of Car Colors — And Why Are We So Boring Now?
Why Are Our Cars Painted Such Boring Colors?
https://www.usnews.com/news/article...h-the-whole-world-prefers-boring-colored-cars

Is this safety just in car colors or a societal shift? Who knows. For what it's worth, my car is red and I love red.

2012-Mitsubishi-Outlander-SE-drivers-side-view-in-motion.jpg
It might have something to do with the colors dealers think their customers want, or are willing to accept. Since their business model is selling cars on the lot, not to order, buyers are subject to what sales people have sitting around (unless they're willing to order and wait for what they might prefer). Lots of pressure to sell what's out there instead.
Whatever the reason, I agree with you. I am done with rolling appliances painted in cookie cutter colors in white/gray/silver/black.
I have orange, red and deep blue in my garage.
Robin

I think many people (manufacturers, dealers, owners) may be afraid of ending up with the automotive equivalent of avocado or burnt sienna refrigerators. What may be a trendy color now may seem dated a few years down the line, especially if you keep your cars for a long time. Blah colors may be more timeless because they're never "in style".

I think many people (manufacturers, dealers, owners) may be afraid of ending up with the automotive equivalent of avocado or burnt sienna refrigerators. What may be a trendy color now may seem dated a few years down the line, especially if you keep your cars for a long time. Blah colors may be more timeless because they're never "in style".

Blue, red, green or yellow are never going to date a car. Those colors have been available for decades. Matte black will probably look dated a decade from now though.

Boring makes sense from the standpoint of a dealer, that was never in question. What I don't get is how many people are excited by these colors. White and black, while both are fine to me if I'm buying a used vehicle, are not anything I would pick customizing my own.

The color of VIN1 will be determined by the customer lucky enough to be getting it. They get to configure their car the way they want (from available options). In the past, that's been Elon or a board member. But I have no idea for the Model 3. I kind of hope it's whatever non-exec employee was first in line.

Reactions: AlanSqB
Do we really know that VIN1 will go to a customer? If QA reveals minor problems with VIN1 they might just decide not to give it out.
Or maybe they give the VIN1 # to another car? Of course we'll likely never know..
Steve Jurvetson got Model S Founders VIN 1. Elon got the Model X Founders VIN 1. A forum member here received Signature VIN 1 for the Model X. I'm pretty sure they'll give it out.

In any case, it's up to the customer to pick the paint color from available options.