Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

color perception

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

doug

Administrator / Head Moderator
Administrator
SByer often mentions how color is "broken on the web." Turns out it's also broken in your brain, or at least your eyes are easily fooled.

http://i41.tinypic.com/ae8ugx.jpg
colors.gif

You probably see a blue and a green spiral. They are in fact both the same shade of bluish green.

The blue and the green | Bad Astronomy | Discover Magazine

Last edited:
Awesome! It's pretty stunning how robust the effect in this image is - I put a stripe of the same color across it, and if I focus on the intersections, I can see that they are the same color, but looking at the whole image it seems like a different color yet again.
sbyer-albums-images-picture36-ae8ugx-stripe.jpg

It's why any pro-level creative editing application worth it's salt will have very little color in the interface - it's too easy to tilt perception.
sbyer-albums-images-picture36-ae8ugx-stripe.html

I did some engineering work on image processing some years ago. The mpeg3 image compression used on DVDs looks great to our eyes, but in fact it's actually a pretty horribly distorted image. It's just that the distortions are carefully designed so that they are occur in ways that our eyes can't detect.