TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Color Preferences - Model S

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by NigelM, Jun 28, 2011.

?

What color Model S would you like the most?

1. Black

9 vote(s)
    9.0%
  2. White

16 vote(s)
    16.0%
  3. Silver/Grey

15 vote(s)
    15.0%
  4. Electric Blue

8 vote(s)
    8.0%
  5. Glacier Blue

7 vote(s)
    7.0%
  6. Lightning Green

2 vote(s)
    2.0%
  7. Lipstick Red

3 vote(s)
    3.0%
  8. Candy Red

22 vote(s)
    22.0%
  9. Very Orange

4 vote(s)
    4.0%
  10. Other

14 vote(s)
    14.0%
  1. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Curious to see what colors those interested in a Model S would choose.... I tried to create a spectrum that also reflects what Roadster owners seem to like...

If your color isn't in the poll, post it below instead.

2. Mycroft

Mycroft Life happens

Candy Red for me with white leather interior. I love the look of the red car in the gallery. Of course, since I don't have children, I can get away with white leather. :biggrin:

3. strider

strider Active Member

I think my wife and I are going to have to see some in the flesh first. We're leaning towards Thunder Grey or White but want to see a few first. Hopefully we'll be able to see some betas and Signatures before we have to finalize our options.

4. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

The red prototype is incredibly beautiful in person. I'm totally sold on that color. You may notice a trend though...

5. Sparrow

Sparrow S105/ Roadster 189

I'm hoping they have some special colors picked out for the S. Not sure the really bright colors would look good on a big car eventhough they look great on a Roadster.

6. howabout2

howabout2 Member

I went with "orange" here to indicate that I want some wild and original colors for the Model S. I may still end up opting for the old stand-by, black, once I see the real world color choices. But a wild color--maybe even an orange--could be tempting to me.

7. Jaff

Jaff Active Member

#7 Jaff, Jun 28, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2011
    I like the Red too, but it's my wife's choice...

(Glad there's no purple!)

8. Jaff

Jaff Active Member

Dam! :cursing: ...Hey, if you're listening TM, please...no purple! :rolleyes:

9. Eberhard

Eberhard #421 Model S #S32

where is my yellow?

10. roblab

roblab Active Member

Back about 30 years ago, Chrysler had its new K car at the St. Louis auto show, in a gorgeous deep metallic purple. Call it "wine", or "Cabernet" or whatever you choose, but everyone that saw it thought it beautiful.

That aside, I was driving about 1100 miles this last weekend and noticed that nearly every car is black, grey / silver, or white. None of those are "colors". Once in a while a dark blue or a red. I think most people are color blind or insensitive! (Don't take this personal) Black is HOT, and gets dusty easily, but I have seen some really light metallic blues (glacier) that look good, too. And although dark, a dark gunmetal blue-gray would also look classy.

I have heard several times that the Sig Series will have colors not available to the Production cars. I won't be able to make up my mind until I see the choices.

11. William13

William13 Member

The balloon that was evidently floated in Toronto was for the Signature to only be available in Black, White, Silver and Red.

This OK with me as long as the red is the same or deeper than the prototype.

12. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Yeah. I hate grey. Had a car that color years ago and I'm never gonna do it again. Yet it's by far the most popular color - bland cars are everywhere.

My current gas car is an Infiniti G37. Wanted the red color, but they discontinued it just before I bought. What was left was black, blue-but-actually-almost-black, white, almost-white, silver, and their brand-new "really cool color"... which when I saw it reminded me of black anodizing that had faded from UV exposure. Except metallic.

I ended up with black... it was the only color they had that my wife and I found remotely palatable. Despite the fact that the dealer offers free car washes every Saturday, it rarely gets all the way home without getting dirty again. I'm sure if you added up the total amount of time the car looked clean you'd come up short of a week. Black really isn't that practical.

13. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

#13 TEG, Jun 28, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2011
    The Leaf is only being offered in a very limited color palette right now. Black, White, Silver, Red and Blue. (Many wished for green...)
    I didn't really like any of them, but decided to do the black since it seemed to go better with all the chrome bits they put on the car.

They changed the paint a bit between prototype (when you lock in your order) and delivery, and I think the red was "most improved".
    Some customers were disappointed with what Nissan did to the blue between prototype and production.

My point in mentioning all this Leaf related stuff here is that what gets offered and even shown at first may not exactly represent what finally gets delivered.

Also the Leaf prototype wheels had a shiny texture, but the production version was more dull. As we saw with the Roadster wheels, they evolved over time, so it is probably a good idea to get used to having things change.

14. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

I would prefer a rich solid color such as a burgundy or deep green that can be buffed, and not have to worry about a clear coated metalic.

Has there been any additional informaiton about the colors being a powder coat which is really a hard surface that would not allow normal waxing or polishing?

15. strider

strider Active Member

Why would powder coating preclude normal waxing? I've had some motorcycle parts powder coated in the past and I polished them like any other painted part.

16. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

My impression was that powder coating is harder than normal paint, and somtimes depending on mix, changes color and or texture from the surface to depth. I may be wrong with the coating that Tesla is planning, but that is my experience with the powder coating I have done. I was hoping that someone has more informaiton about the coatings or paint that Tesla intends to use.

17. neroden

neroden Happy Model S Owner

Yuck. This is NOT OK with me. I will not buy red under any circumstances (it's an invitation to get pulled over by the cops, and raises insurance rates); I will not buy black (it boils the interior in the summer); and I will not buy silver/grey (it's the color of the road, and people tend to run into you).

That leaves white. I would like another option.

Ideally, I'd like a dark purple, but I'd be fine with any purple, a dark blue, a light blue, a medium blue, a bluish green, yellow, gold, orange, etc. Surely we can at least get a blue option.

18. neroden

neroden Happy Model S Owner

That is my ideal color. Very rare though, so I'm not getting my hopes up.

19. Nik

Nik Dreaming no more :-(

Which of the two reds is the 'prototype' red? Lipstick or Candy? I'll have that one. Failing that, a cobalt blue.

20. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

The prototype in person looks like a (very beautiful) version of Candy.