Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Color selection poll

Which color do you plan to select?

• Eclipse Black

Votes: 18 7.3%
  • Catalina White

Votes: 22 8.9%
  • Starlight Silver

Votes: 15 6.1%
  • Pacific Blue

Votes: 40 16.2%
  • Sequoia Green

Votes: 16 6.5%
  • Dolphin Grey

Votes: 29 11.7%
  • Sycamore Brown

Votes: 14 5.7%
  • White Water Pearl

Votes: 21 8.5%
  • Signature Red

Votes: 53 21.5%
  • Sunset Red

Votes: 19 7.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One more silver picture. This is one I took at Santana Row, of one of the "Test mule" cars (#59), and I'm sorry it's not a great photo. But, it's the only example I've seen of silver with the 19" wheels.

IMG_2925.JPG

One more silver picture. This is one I took at Santana Row, of one of the "Test mule" cars (#59), and I'm sorry it's not a great photo. But, it's the only example I've seen of silver with the 19" wheels.[/ATTACH]

Thank you MikeK! That is exactly what I was looking for! The silver looks better with 19" wheels than any others. I like it very much. Very helpful. (BTW I've seen that Mercedes silver you mentioned in the post above. You are right. It is jaw dropping.)

Here's a question to folks: have you ever owned a dark blue car that's as as dark as the Tesla? How is it to maintain in attractive condition? I really do like the color, but I don't want to be looking at it with regret every day I walk out to my car.

I had one for a decade. It will show dirt fairly easily but pretty much any color shows it over time.

Here's a question to folks: have you ever owned a dark blue car that's as as dark as the Tesla? How is it to maintain in attractive condition? I really do like the color, but I don't want to be looking at it with regret every day I walk out to my car.
I owned a Black BMW 740IL for a number of years and loved it. I never really found it that hard to keep clean.
No question that dark colors like this do show dirt more easily than lighter colors, but I absolutely loved my Black 740.
I also owned a White Grand Cherokee and it was a really nice looking car and seemed to never look dirty (except when I took it thru the mud!).
I'm planning on getting the Blue S and really have no qualms about the clean/dirty look. I'll just wash it more often if necessary.
My cars also spend a lot of time in the garage. However, my biggest concern is the NE salt and wintertime grime on the roads.
I'm in a big tizzy over rather to take the 21" wheels on my MSP and then buy an extra set of 19" wheels/tires for the winter.
Just grates on me that Tesla gives NO credit back for downgrading to the 19" wheels!

I owned a Black BMW 740IL for a number of years and loved it. I never really found it that hard to keep clean.
No question that dark colors like this do show dirt more easily than lighter colors, but I absolutely loved my Black 740.
I also owned a White Grand Cherokee and it was a really nice looking car and seemed to never look dirty (except when I took it thru the mud!).
I'm planning on getting the Blue S and really have no qualms about the clean/dirty look. I'll just wash it more often if necessary.
My cars also spend a lot of time in the garage. However, my biggest concern is the NE salt and wintertime grime on the roads.
I'm in a big tizzy over rather to take the 21" wheels on my MSP and then buy an extra set of 19" wheels/tires for the winter.
Just grates on me that Tesla gives NO credit back for downgrading to the 19" wheels!

This is discussed other places but I can see Tesla not giving credit for the wheels as they come part of a package. They could do it of course but wouldn't be outside what everyone else in the industry seems to do. Made even less since with the non-performance Signature. I think winter wheels are smart anyway so can enjoy the look of the 21" wheels during the summer and then use the winter wheels.

I saw a Hyundai Sonata today at a local dealer and the Blue made me do a double take.
It looked a lot to me like the Pacific Blue S pics I've seen so far.
It is called Indigo Night.
Here's a pic of it as well as the Model S Blue.

Attachments

• Hyundai Sonata Indigo Night Blue.jpg
    Hyundai Sonata Indigo Night Blue.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 195
  • Desktop blue.jpg
    Desktop blue.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 263
Has anyone managed to catch the Catalina White side by side with the Pearl White? Interested to hear impressions about whether Catalina is "good enough".
I've seen the Pearl in person, and the Pearl car next to the Catalina paint chip. The Pearl is the whitest version of pearl-white I've ever seen. From ten paces, I don't think I could have told the difference between them.

I have seen both of them side by side, and I have to say, I prefer the Catalina. The pearl white, at certain angles to the sun, generates really bright highlight reflections that just bug me. This is not unique to Tesla at all -- it's a quality of all pearl whites that I've seen.

Here are some examples.

Multicoat White at Fremont:
IMG_0073.JPG

Here's that highlight I was talking about (look beneath the headlight):
IMG_0071.JPG

Catalina White at Palo Alto:
IMG_0129.JPG

Both whites side by side in Palo Alto (Catalina on the left). Sorry this is not that helpful since the car in the sun is a bit over exposed and the other is in the shade...
IMG_0131.JPG

For what it's worth, Catalina White versus Silver:
IMG_0124.JPG

Regarding contaygious's question about the Performance models, I honestly think the CF spoiler looks a bit out of place on all the light colors. Really only seems in keeping with some of the darker colors. Here's an example from another TMC member's photos from LA:
i-K2dLjvG-X3.jpg

(I think that whole photo set is well worth viewing, by the way: Test Drive LA)

Last edited:
This is super helpful. Call me crazy, but the contrast reminds of the R8 with carbon blades so I like it, but I do wish there was more dark on the outside to go with it vs. the chrome window trim and door handles.

I do like the white better in those pics than the pearl surprisingly.

Much appreciated!

This is super helpful. Call me crazy, but the contrast reminds of the R8 with carbon blades so I like it, but I do wish there was more dark on the outside to go with it vs. the chrome window trim and door handles.

I do like the white better in those pics than the pearl surprisingly.
And saves you $1500! Which will more than cover the cost of some vinyl wrap to mute the chrome trim and add (faux) CF accents selectively.

I ran across this article on a car detailing site which compares various aspects of car colors based on over 20 years of experience in caring for, maintaining and detailing cars. I found it helpful in organizing my thoughts and feelings about which color to order for Model S. I pass it along in case it might similarly be helpful to anyone else.
http://www.best-auto-detailing-tips.com/car-paint-colors.html