Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Colorado DMV registration?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took delivery of my Model Y in late August, and just got my DMV card in the mail saying I could order plates and finalize registration online.

Then I entered my info and got the following error: "A plug-in electric vehicle decal is required for your vehicle, Please visit your county motor vehicle office"

The folks at the Tesla SC told me this was an "all online" process... what is this sticker? have any other CO Tesla owners been able to register their vehicle online?

EV sticker0984crop 2-20-14.jpg

The first time you register an EV in Colorado you are asked to put this decal on the upper passenger side of your windshield. As discussed in another thread, some Colorado EV owners don't bother. Speculation is that it is for parking in EV only spaces. It may be that an EV license plate may make the decal moot. I rather like having it on my car but, then, I'm an early adopter and ten years ago having an EV was unheard of where I live. The decals were introduced circa 2014, perhaps from a law passed in 2013. I believe that there is a 50¢ fee added to the registration for it.

After your first registration, you should be able to renew online as usual.

Last edited:
So I registered mine in 2019 at the DMV and received the decal then, however when attempting to renew online this year I'm getting blocked by this same message -- "A plug-in electric vehicle decal is required for your vehicle, Please visit your county motor vehicle office". No issues with online renewal in 2020 or 2021.

Is it really not possible to renew online if we already have the decal?

Yeah, their site is messed up. I contacted them about it and a rep basically said they are updating the system and this part unfortunately hasn't been done yet.

Also people at the DMV tried to charge me $60 for the new EV plates w/o the sticker. So I went with the normal plates. Same rep said that was wrong as well and I could just get the EV plates online via the replace plates for $14. Definitely having issues in multiple places with this.

I recently registered my Model Y and didn't have to get this sticker. I used to have the sticker on my leaf though. I wanted to keep my old plate number that that wasn't possible with the new updates they were making unless I paid for a vanity plate...so I just got a new plate for the < $5 amount. No word on the sticker and my plate seems normal with no "EV" indication. This is in Boulder county.

Colorado license plate info... Group Special License Plates | Department of Revenue - Motor Vehicle

Creation of [EV] license plate was per House Bill 21-1141.

Who Qualifies: Any person who has a Plug-In Electric Vehicle.

Requirements: A person with a Plug-In Electric Vehicle must either be issued an Electric Vehicle license plate or if they elect to not be issued the license plate must be issued the Plug-In Electric Vehicle decal.

Fees: No additional fees for the Electric Vehicle license plate.

Personalized License Plate Fees: A one-time fee of $60.00 with an annual $25.00 fee collected each year thereafter upon renewal. The center logo is not printed on personalized license plates.

* the previous EV sticker was to make you feel good for being charged $50 EV registration fee.

Anyone find a way to get this fixed? I have two Teslas, and the first one went through online without any problem today, but the second got this error message just a few minutes later. I've renewed that car online before, including last year. (And I have the silly sticker, I don't need one.)

Point being, I suspect this is a database field that is set wrong in my one car's record, rather than programming code that needs to be updated. If so, all that should be needed is for someone in the DMV to fix my data record -- it shouldn't require waiting for some kind of dmv software update. (That sounds like a blow-off BS answer.)

Anyone had any luck fixing this?

I got one of those stickers when I registered my leaf in 2017 but had already cracked the windshield so I never put it on. I always figured I would replace the cracked windshield and add the sticker to the replacement. I still have the car with the cracked windshield with no sticker. 5 years. No sticker. No point. Now I can say with confidence it is useless.

Tesla is WAY slow with this nowadays . . . annoyingly so.
I picked up January 9th in Littleton, and was told paperwork would take about a month. I called Tesla in mid February and they said “patience - sometimes it takes 45 days“
My temporary plate expired March 7th and still no notification.
On the 7th I went down to the DMV and they had just received paperwork dated March 2nd.
Since I went for personalized plates, I had to pay for a second temporary tag while I waited for plates to show up in the mail, which they finally did yesterday.
In the grand scheme of things, a minor inconvenience, but annoying just the same.

Reactions: discobret
Tesla is WAY slow with this nowadays . . . annoyingly so.
I picked up January 9th in Littleton, and was told paperwork would take about a month. I called Tesla in mid February and they said “patience - sometimes it takes 45 days“
My temporary plate expired March 7th and still no notification.
On the 7th I went down to the DMV and they had just received paperwork dated March 2nd.
Since I went for personalized plates, I had to pay for a second temporary tag while I waited for plates to show up in the mail, which they finally did yesterday.
In the grand scheme of things, a minor inconvenience, but annoying just the same.
Yeah still no word, so went to DMV and got a second temp plate to get me through to June.

• Informative
Reactions: MitchMitch
We took delivery on 2/13 and they didn't submit our paperwork to the DMV until 3/29. I had to ask for a new temp tag. The title status still isn't showing on the DMV's website so I'm wondering if they actually did submit the paperwork because it's been 60 days at this point.

Had my car since 2018, had to go in person for this renewal. Told the lady I had a sticker from 5 years ago, she said, yeah maybe next year the system will be updated because people like me already had a sticker. That’s government for ya.

If you get the EV plates in Colorado (no additional charge), you don't need the sticker.

BTW, if anyone wants a nice vanity plate, when I sold my Model S in May, I turned in my Colorado GBYEGAS plates, so it should be available. For my new BMW EV, I got EV plates, non-vanity. Had to go to the county DMV office. It wasn't bad, as they do it by appointment. Took about 15 minutes (Jeffco).

Did you ever get your mail from the DMV? I took delivery of a new Y on 5/26, and nothing yet. Wondering how long this process is going to take... temp tag expires 7/21

Temp tag expires tomorrow. Still nothing from the DMV. There also is nothing on the check title status page. I entered the date we picked up the car from Tesla. Tesla said to text them again after it expires and they would email us a new temp tag. Anyone done this? We just print it out and tape it over the old temp plate?

• Informative
Reactions: MitchMitch