Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Colorado EZ pass

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I know that most transponders for tollways are supposed to work better in the little black dotted area by the rear view mirror. But the little tag for e470 in Denver is supposed to be in the lower left windshield according to their officials. Of course I have discovered it doesn't work there. Possibly because of the slope of the window or else some factory coating, I don't know. What have other Denver folks found to be the solution? Also note that I currently am a scofflaw and do not have a front license plate.

I put EZ-Pass sticker tag #1 in the lower left corner of the windshield, as instructed: it did not work. After some research on TMC I put #2 in the area of black dots to the right of the mirror mount: it worked. I had my windshield replaced a few months ago and moved tag #2 to the same spot on the new windshield: it didn't work. The EZ-Pass service center suggested that I had probably broken the tag in making the transfer and sent me another one, tag #3, which I installed in the same place: it didn't work. They just sent me tag #4, which I haven't installed, because I don't have a clue where to put it so it will work. Any suggestions?

I put EZ-Pass sticker tag #1 in the lower left corner of the windshield, as instructed: it did not work. After some research on TMC I put #2 in the area of black dots to the right of the mirror mount: it worked. I had my windshield replaced a few months ago and moved tag #2 to the same spot on the new windshield: it didn't work. The EZ-Pass service center suggested that I had probably broken the tag in making the transfer and sent me another one, tag #3, which I installed in the same place: it didn't work. They just sent me tag #4, which I haven't installed, because I don't have a clue where to put it so it will work. Any suggestions?

Take a look at TX Drivers - Where Did You Place Your Toll Tag?? - Page 4. I'd try behind the grill on the nosecone. Good Luck and let us know how it goes...

huntjo, please call the ExpressToll service center at (303) 537-3470 adn let them know you drive a Tesla. The Tesla windshield design is nt compatible with the windshield sticker tags. They will send you a headlight tag that works very well for other Tesla owners.

Call me if you have any problems. Merry Christmas!

Dave Kristick
Director of Operations
E-470 Public Highway Authority
(303) 537-3702

I called the service center and asked for a headlight sticker tag; I've had four of the standard sticker tags and no one ever mentioned the headlight tags before. When I said I had a Tesla Model S the rep on the other end of the line was happy to send me one; I'll let you know how it goes.

I forgot to post after I got my new one in the mail.
It is essentially a motorcycle headlight tag. The nice lady on the phone said to put it on the driver side headlight. It's mostly clear so it should have negligible effect on the actual light. I haven't been on e470 since applying it yet, but am optimistic. I am curious about the above referenced "mirror post tag". I didn't get offered that. Not sure which I would prefer.
The bad news is, the sticky crap on the inside of my windshield from the previous sticker has proved to be tough to remove cleanly

A couple of weeks ago I put one of the transparent motorcycle headlight tags on my driver's side headlight, as low as possible. It's been working reliably since I installed it. It's hardly even noticeable, much less of an eyesore than the new Colorado EV stickers.

The mirror tag was stated by the ExpressToll rep to be a very recent conclusion. I received the standard tag in the mail to do that, but it looks so visible and ugly I am just going to temporarily stick it on the back of the mirror when using the tollway which is infrequent. It is an amorphous metal-containing ID tag similar to a shoplifting tag (I think) and I'll hope it just needs a line-of-sight to the tollbooth. The bill will tell whether the tag was detected, or the plate was read (at the higher price).

Is there anyone in Colorado with the new Autopilot hardware who's mounted an ExpressToll sticker tag to the inside of the windshield with success? The rear-view mirror mount is completely different and the windshield on my new P85D doesn't have the area of black dots to the right of the mirror mount that used to be the preferred location with the old-style mirror mount.

Does the EV sticker allow any benefits like free HOV lane travel regardless of passengers? Or is it more of like a parking pass for EV charging spots (which are not numerous enough for my liking)
Unfortunately, the EV sticker doesn't get us HOV access. You can apply for 1 of the 2000 available and get on the waiting list, though. I wish they would add more. Hybrid Vehicle Use in the HOT/HOV Lanes — CDOT

Other than that... I have no idea what the sticker is good for. I put it on my car, but I will probably remove it. It's too big and ugly. I figure if there is a power cord going from a charger to my car, people should know it's an electric car.