Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Colorado has moved to allow all electric customers to install energy storage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Denver Post has an article about the change:

Colorado among first states to give consumers the right to store energy from alternative sources

Link to Senate Bill 9 signed into law by Governor Hickenlooper:

SB18-009
Allow Electric Utility Customers Install Energy Storage Equipment

Concerning the right of consumers of electricity to interconnect energy storage systems for use on their property.

The bill declares that consumers of electricity have a right to install, interconnect, and use energy storage systems on their property, and that this will enhance the reliability and efficiency of the electric grid, save money, and reduce the need for additional electric generation facilities.

The bill directs the Colorado public utilities commission to adopt rules governing the installation, interconnection, and use of customer-sited energy storage systems.​

• Love
Reactions: RubberToe
It saddens me that things are so f'd up that people need to be "given the right" to do this.

My house. My money. You don't like it, energy company, piss off.

I understand your feelings, and it does seem like batteries are less of a power quality issue than solar generation. Consider though that it is their transmission lines, their transformers, and their responsibility for power quality. Has anyone prevented you from having your own islanded system (other than zoning that may not allow an entirely off grid house)?

When i got permit to install panels, the county was lost. Had no clue. When finished, i got it signed off. But, it took FPL a month to get a meter from Miami. They were all clueless in the sunshine state. The power firms tried to pass a law outlawing solar in 2016. They actually got state congress to put it on ballot. The tv ads were all lies. They hate solar, cuts into their profit.

I'm not sure if we can even collect rain water yet. Maybe...
I'm pretty sure the law was updated a couple of years ago to allow rain barrels, but only up to 110 gallons.
Still, I agree, it's my property I should be allowed to collect rain that falls on my property, or power my house any way I want.
I recently bought a house and was told that once I have a connection to the power company in Colorado, I cannot disconnect. So legally, I cannot go off grid even if I wanted too.

I'm pretty sure the law was updated a couple of years ago to allow rain barrels, but only up to 110 gallons.
Still, I agree, it's my property I should be allowed to collect rain that falls on my property, or power my house any way I want.
I recently bought a house and was told that once I have a connection to the power company in Colorado, I cannot disconnect. So legally, I cannot go off grid even if I wanted too.
The rainwater thing dates back to water rights treaties between states from the 1800s. Colorado even has a separate court to deal with water rights issues.

I never heard of the inability to go off grid once connected. That's crazy.

Pretty sure we can not go off grid in AZ either. As for collecting rain water, I'm not aware if any laws against. (Right, go ahead and knock yourself out). How about growing vegetables? Any cities or states have laws against That?

I do agree that storage is a tricky thing for a utility to deal with. They have to guarantee that the frequency and phase in the power lines stay in a very narrow range, and random types of storage could complicate that. Especially if the storage goes back onto the grid in some manner.

I also think people should be allowed to go off grid as long as the connection at home follows some code so that the next occupant of the house or a repairman doesn't get a bad surprise when working on wiring something new there.