Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

colorado MS - what kind of tint and how much to wrap??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Head is spinning!! Too many salesmen...Rayno...huber optic...3m crystaline....carbon/ceramin...full creamic....OMG...What to wrap....whole front bumper? PILLARS...rockers...full rear bumper? full hood? what makes sense?? 4 windows 20%..windshield 50%? 70%....car is pearl white with white interior...seat coatings???? ceramic liquid coating after wrap??? Ceramic coat whole wheels and calipers????????OMGGGGGGGGGGG mind is exploding......1200.00......5k.....8k.....i mean what do most of you guys do?

Did nothing. No wrap/paint protection because I've never done it before.

No tint for energy efficiency. Heat uses much more energy than A/C. Our bright Colorado sunshine keeps the car warm in winter, using very little heat from the Tesla (unless it's snowing, of course). The tint will block this radiational heating. In summer, I probably use more A/C. That's the trade-off.

This is a personal decision based largely on your area, intended length of ownership, and what level of wear and tear you are comfortable with. Cosmetic reasons could also play a factor.

I did all sorts of things and would have even if I still lived in Colorado Springs. I intend to own 10-15 years. In my current area I may drive to work, get covered by lovebugs, and have to leave it out in the sun for a day or two so protection is important for me. I like the look of tint and the ease of cleaning my coatings will provide.

Head is spinning!! Too many salesmen...Rayno...huber optic...3m crystaline....carbon/ceramin...full creamic....OMG...What to wrap....whole front bumper? PILLARS...rockers...full rear bumper? full hood? what makes sense?? 4 windows 20%..windshield 50%? 70%....car is pearl white with white interior...seat coatings???? ceramic liquid coating after wrap??? Ceramic coat whole wheels and calipers????????OMGGGGGGGGGGG mind is exploding......1200.00......5k.....8k.....i mean what do most of you guys do?
You are not alone my friend.. at the end of the day, I'd say follow your gut feeling and Be happy..

same here, been thinking about PPF but seems the cost is so much whether it's justified. I won't get my S until July, so have time, but amazing the different options available. Have never done PPF or special paint coating as I get bored and trade my cars very frequently, hoping can last 8 yrs with my Model S.......

Just got my car and I did the XPEL Ultimate - full front. My justification - b/c refresh front is just a big target for debris/rocks. From experience with my Mercedes - despite the design grill - I experienced a lot of chips from rocks/debris on the road. Front bumper looked pretty bad close up. As a result, and b/c the Refresh front is just prone to capture dings from small rocks/debris, I got the full front clear bra XPEL Ultimate.

Las Vegas has a lot of construction all over town - especially on the freeways. So I feel comfortable knowing my Jetson's car is protected.

Tint - I regret getting. But it was a bundled deal. I got 30% ceramic.

Reactions: masamitsu
SunTek Paint Protection Film: Professionally Installed Paint Protection, PPF, PPF Matte, Paint Protection Clear, Matte Paint Protection, Invisible Protection, Scratch and Impact Resistant Paint Protection, TruCut Paint Protection Software
At the end of the day, it's personal preference.. you'll just get more confused, since everyone here has different preference, budget, and priorities and location (climate):
1. Unlimited budget + max protection: go all in..
2. Limited budget + max protection: full front bumper and hood, A-pillars and side-mirrors, maybe back bumper
3. limited budget + min protection: only front bumper
4. go

So, set your budget, know what you want, and go from there?

Personally, i did option 2: Suntek PPF Ultra + for tint: Suntek CarbonXP 35 all around + Suntek CXP 80 on windshield on our Pearl white MS. All these cost around $2500 total in Bay Area, CA, because the next level up will be >$5k, i can't justify spending this much on protection when the car will simply depreciate no matter what and some people might not even care if you ever try to sell your car again..
CXP™
SunTek Paint Protection Film: Professionally Installed Paint Protection, PPF, PPF Matte, Paint Protection Clear, Matte Paint Protection, Invisible Protection, Scratch and Impact Resistant Paint Protection, TruCut Paint Protection Software

No matter what you do, you're gonna love the car and just enjoy it..
Good luck!

Attachments

• IMG_9873.JPG
    IMG_9873.JPG
    398.8 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_9874.JPG
    IMG_9874.JPG
    318.8 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_9875.JPG
    IMG_9875.JPG
    362 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_9876.JPG
    IMG_9876.JPG
    342.9 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_9877.JPG
    IMG_9877.JPG
    311.4 KB · Views: 50
Car looks nice!

I found a guy who's highly recommended and we're going with 24" Platinum Package with front bumper- 24” SunTek Ultra or XPEL Ultimate film installed on the hood, fenders, headlights, mirrors, and the complete front bumper. Will get Opti-Coat done at a later date. Just can't afford everything at once.

Why do you regret getting tint. I am picking up my p85 in the next couple weeks. Think I might do ppf on just the front, since my mustang in 1 year got pretty good paint chips from all the rocks and sand. I def want to tint, just looks good. but wonder why you dont like it.

Why do you regret getting tint. I am picking up my p85 in the next couple weeks. Think I might do ppf on just the front, since my mustang in 1 year got pretty good paint chips from all the rocks and sand. I def want to tint, just looks good. but wonder why you dont like it.

Initially, I thought of doing a dark tint on the car - for looks. However, after more observation and driving around town - I like the unobscured clear view. Downside to no tint is the staring from other drivers. Upside to no tint - the drive is so smooth - so clean - no tint just gives me that natural flow. A cruise control feel. Feels liberating.

Did I mention how much I love this car? The experience/drive is truly something words cannot truly describe. You have to experience it in person.

If circumstances permit, I agree - covering the front is a good choice. I'm happy I got mine done and the 10 year warranty is reassuring. I did mine over a week ago and I've noticed a couple of bubbles and some peeling - however the warranty reassures me that this will be taken care of when I take the car back to get those tidbits fixed.

felt the same way and found a lot of opinions from people that had not had the protective film... so I had my bumper, front fenders, hood, and rear bumper coated with Xpel ultima on my roadster. Glad I did! It really does protect from rock chips, and bugs clean off easier. Now I just bought a Model S 100D and I will cover the front bumper, hood, and rear bumper... worth the money and car looks great!