Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Colorado Overlook Road in Canyonlands National Park

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How far can Model X make it on the Colorado Overlook Road in Canyonlands National Park?

Screen Shot 2022-05-18 at 10.22.28 PM.png

I have never driven on those roads even with an ICE vehicle so I can't answer the question. Points to consider, (a) ground clearance over rocks, Elevation change and wind conditions will affect range. My personal opinion after driving my 2019 MX in Death Valley is that the MX is really not designed for off road conditions. you can raise the suspension and take it for a short drive but any long drive I am not sure of the consequence ( car body/joints noise creaks after the trip).

That would be a trip that would trigger the worst of my paranoia genes. I don't think it would be awsome but rather worrisome thinking about being stuck there. I've been to Dead Horse Point State Park and that was enough for me and my X.

Thank you for the reply. Is this true eve for Shafer Canyon Road? It seems pretty even in Apple Maps, at least in the beginning. Model X can raise its suspension.
The view in Apple Maps is not even close to showing the reality. The scale is enormous and you don't realize how big the obstacles can be until you are down there. For our mountain biking trip the support vehicle was a jacked up 4x4 and there are a couple of spots that it required a very skilled driver to navigate.

From an economics point of view- any damage to the MX will be very expensive to fix plus the wait time for spares. It took Tesla 5 weeks to fix a creaking sound issue in my MX . I live in the Bay Area, California where there are multiple service centers ( it is not availability of Service appointments , but availability of parts - supply chain issues ). So it may be advisable to rent a SUV and do this trip and have the peace of mind. In those roads you can't even have a flatbed truck for a tow. Rent a SUV and enjoy the wilderness.

Reactions: Harvey Danger