Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Colorado Registration Title Complete Notice?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,

I recently purchased a Model 3 in December in Littleton, CO.

I'm actually out of state for an extended period of time and was hoping to register the car online using the CO myDMV feature for 1st time vehicle registration online which states the following is needed:
  • "Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)
  • Title Complete Notice that you received in the mail
  • Current vehicle emissions, if applicable
  • Current Colorado Insurance
  • A valid credit card or check (if payment is required)"
It specifically states I need a "Title Complete Notice" from what I can gather is a postcard that is sent once the Title paperwork has been submitted. I just received my Tesla packet which has many things like the Bill Of Sale etc and even the DR 2395 Application for Title and/or Registration. But I didn't receive a Title Complete Notice. Is this something that doesn't happen with Tesla in Colorado?

Can anyone else from CO confirm if they received a "Title Complete Notice" defined below:
(per Title Complete Notice - El Paso County Clerk and Recorder )
"After the dealership or financial organization submits the title work to the Motor Vehicle Office, a Title Complete Notice (white postcard) will be mailed to notify the vehicle owner(s) that the title work has been processed. Plates then can be purchased and/or transferred"

Thanks!

it's been couple years since I registered my last new car (2016 Model S) but as I recall - the Title Complete Notice was sent to my mailing address. The card is a notice that the process has been completed (not that the application was submitted) and you can proceed to the DMV with the card (Denver County in my case) to register and get plates. The state DMV website indicates that you need a couple pieces of information off the card to do online registration - title number and an letter ID, but I didn't do the online process so can't confirm...

it's been couple years since I registered my last new car (2016 Model S) but as I recall - the Title Complete Notice was sent to my mailing address. The card is a notice that the process has been completed (not that the application was submitted) and you can proceed to the DMV with the card (Denver County in my case) to register and get plates. The state DMV website indicates that you need a couple pieces of information off the card to do online registration - title number and an letter ID, but I didn't do the online process so can't confirm...

Thanks!
So the Title Complete postcard came separate from the registration packet?
Do you know how long before or after the registration packet was delivered that the Title Complete postcard got to you?

I just registered a Model 3 a couple weeks ago and only took in the paperwork that Tesla sent via Fedex. There were a bunch of different forms and I didn't pay any attention but I didn't receive anything separate like you are asking about.

Thanks!
So the Title Complete postcard came separate from the registration packet?
Do you know how long before or after the registration packet was delivered that the Title Complete postcard got to you?

I'm trying to remember the process I went through... I did not receive a separate registration package from TESLA - I think all they did was the temporary registration for the paper tag and apply for the title. I left the delivery with all the documents I'd need to register the car, but had to wait until the title was completed by DMV, when I received the postcard from them at my home address. I took almost 2 months to get that notice, mostly because the delivery center dropped the ball and didn't submit the title application until 3 weeks after delivery. I just took the paperwork from delivery to DMV and completed registration.

It sounds like Colorado delivery process has changed in the past 2 years...

I figured this all out.

Essentially the title complete notice is something a customer would receive after a dealer would typically send the registration packet to CO county and they would verify the documents and issue a title complete notice. That notice can be used to register the car without bringing all of that other documentation since it's already on file and verified. So essentially Tesla sends that to us instead of them so they can't put it on file.

I spoke with the county and if I mail all of those *original* documents to them along with the remaining taxes owed, then they will mail be a title complete notice and I can finish the registration online/over the phone. Otherwise I could just bring all of these documents in and that would also work, but that would require I be in Colorado which I am not.

• Helpful
Reactions: mociaf9
Hi all - I may be moving to CO this spring. We have a 2017 MS. Is CO a state where you pay fees based on MSRP? or a flat registration fee rate?
Sorry to hijack your thread!

There are several components to the total amount for license plates in Colorado, some of which are based on purchase price, weight, age, type, and fuel (including an EV specific surcharge to compensate for lost gas tax). The state offers a registration fee calculator on the DMV site. First, go to CO myDMV, then click "Vehicle Services", finally click "Estimate registration fees" and fill out the form. Make sure to make the purchase date and registration date the same (the date you expect to register for CO plates) to get a good estimate because otherwise it will include late fees in the estimate. Additionally, it's not going to be exact but should get you close.

More info here: Taxes and Fees

Last edited:
I'm trying to register my new Tesla MY online. It is asking for the "Title number" and "Letter ID". I can't find this anywhere in the packet Tesla just sent to me by Fedex.
I just saw this on Reddit: "I was only able to get the Letter ID after calling the DMV and speaking with someone. It was actually different from anything I had on any paperwork or the title."
and
"The Letter ID comes in the mail in 30-75 business days from the date of purchase and is only for vehicles purchased with a loan. It looks like a postcard. What happens is the dealer sends the title to the county after purchase, the title then goes to the lien holder, then the title complete notice goes out to the customer. Then the customer receives a postcard with the Letter ID from the DMV. If you purchased the vehicle in full (not with a loan), you have to go in to get the vehicle registered, in person, with the county clerk. This process is for brand new vehicle registration only. Please note that due to COVID-19, most counties require appointments, and many can be booked online. Hope that helps!"