Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Colorado SuperCharger Buildout

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Great @BP. They'll have to find a spot in there somewhere, so I-25 north-bounders can make it to Silverthorne. I think the Park Meadows chargers are going to be a management issue, with the demo cars and there is usually a visitor or two.... Staff there was quick to say the "won't be on the SC map". If you believe the SC plan, they indicate two on I-25 south to Sante Fe, then to OKC, and Dallas in 2014.

I'll keep an eye out for one in Colorado Springs, I figured Meadows would get one soon because of the dealer there. I've only seen a handful of owners here in the springs and it seems a bit off the beaten path to see one anytime soon though. :wink:

A Supercharger near Colorado Springs has little to do with the local population of MS's in Colorado Springs.

The primary intent for Superchargers is to enable long distance travel. If you look at the map on Tesla Motors Superchargers and move the time slider to 2014, you will see that a string of Superchargers is planned along I-40 as far east as Oklahoma City. The red dots (consider them very fuzzy) near Colorado Springs, Trinidad, CO, and Las Vegas, NM will connect the i-25 corridor to the I-40 corridor and Albuquerque. That connection and the ones to the east on I-70 will be huge for connectivity in and out of the Front Range area. These Superchargers won't have much to do with local MS's in Trinidad or Las Vegas, NM.

- - - Updated - - -

Great @BP. They'll have to find a spot in there somewhere, so I-25 north-bounders can make it to Silverthorne. I think the Park Meadows chargers are going to be a management issue, with the demo cars and there is usually a visitor or two.... Staff there was quick to say the "won't be on the SC map". If you believe the SC plan, they indicate two on I-25 south to Sante Fe, then to OKC, and Dallas in 2014.

I agree. The current Tesla Map shows a Supercharger on the I-70 corridor around Burlington, CO or so. Burlington to Silverthorne is 232 miles with even more elevation gain than from Cheyenne; that's nearly impossible! Something on the west side of Denver, or maybe at the Evergreen Parkway exit on I-70 would be a real help for east bound MS's out of Cheyenne and Burlington, both.

Think I'll make it a project to "enlighten" a restaurant or pub owner to put in a HPWC or at least a 14-50 in the Golden area. I know some folks right there at NREL. Today there are virtually no public chargers along I-70 until the one J-plug at BeauJos in Idaho Springs. If the pub stop around Golden is good enough, people might make it a local destination!

- - - Updated - - -

This will be very interesting to watch. I know TMC doesn't want SC's in metro areas for obvious reasons (although Fremont and Hawthorne clearly are local filling stations..). Without something in Denver metro though, both Cheyenne and west bounders on I-70 will have issues. Since we get to speculate... I'm gong to bet on a SC in Limon, CO. Denny's Subway, Arbys and 18-wheelers. It's 145 road miles to the Eisenhower tunnel, which in winter and the 6K ft gain would be about the max I would think. Then eastbound from Limon it's about 150 miles to Colby KS perhaps. Not much in between. Burlington is just too far from Silverthorne. We shall see .....

Yeah but I think the park meadows one is not very convenient for east-west travel.
I predict one in Limon and possibly one in Golden as well.

Going south I think there is a good candidate in the outlets mall of Castle Rock but the Colorado Springs might be better distance wise.

North might be good, but I wonder if putting one along I 25 outside Longmont would be a good filler to give more optionality

North might be good, but I wonder if putting one along I 25 outside Longmont would be a good filler to give more optionality

Thinking toward the future, when I-76 is supported, you could put one at the I-25/CO-52 interchange or the shopping center at I-25/Baseline Road with Gunther Toody's! This would allow I-76 drivers going west to get off on CO-52, a pretty quick road, and hit a Supercharger on I-25 before the climb to Silverthorne.

Monday : The four Park Meadows SC pedestals are live, as of today. There were two store cars on-line, and I tried each of the two available. At 95 range miles for me, each topped out at about 50kW. 370v at 130 amp or thereabouts. The two HPWC's are staying in place, too.

Thursday: Plugged in again during a one hour dinner. Jumped right up to 80 kw. At 420v. You can park along the sidewalk and use the two HPWC, and there is a 14-50 also in a box under the HPWC on the east pillar.

Nice asset.

Last edited:
Visited Park Meadows today. As expected, it's online!

a9ezuzaq.jpg

e8aradug.jpg

deje9y9u.jpg

Interestingly, I just got the official Tesla email blast announcing Lone Tree, and it included this tidbit:

The planet’s fastest charging station is now just a road trip away! We are excited to announce our fourth Supercharger in Colorado, located at the Park Meadows Tesla Store. The Lone Tree Supercharger adds convenience for Model S owners traveling through the Denver area. It also connects Southern Colorado to our cross-country corridor, enabling more routes to travel for free, for life. The Lone Tree Supercharger is a Mobile Supercharging Unit designed to support owners while we complete the development of a larger Supercharger in Denver.
(Emphasis mine)

Was that bolded part already confirmed?

Hey, now that's interesting. Who knows, but maybe a 6-pack SC in west metro somewhere...? The I-25 corridor is probably good with Cheyenne until south of Castle Rock I would think. It's I-70 westbound that's the issue. The I-25/I-70 junction is pretty sketchy in my opinion for a Tesla SC.

Last edited:
That's a good idea. I haven't yet parked at Canopy with the MS. Is it true they have 110v available indoors ?

Dunno. I've recently heard (read on TMC I believe) they have a good valet service and will rotate your car to have it charged when your flight comes back. But the times i have previously parked there I always self-parked in the canopy area where they have "Juice bar" brand free charging stations. Those are sometimes ICE'd, but I've always found one available. I plan to check into the valet thing next time I need to fly which I think is in April.

That's a good idea. I haven't yet parked at Canopy with the MS. Is it true they have 110v available indoors ?

I've never used Canopy's valet service, but the covered "juice bar" has 110V and J1772. Free EV recharging stations at Canopy Airport Parking

Since I am not yet a Tesla owner, I park in the adjacent row so I can oogle all the electric vehicles. I've seen just about everything there, including a RAV4EV that someone must have imported from CA. I've never seen a juice bar spot iced. They keep cones in the unused spots.

Canopy's valet service is thoroughly familiar with the care and feeding of Model S. I use them all the time, and I always see several other Model S when I pass through.

As for the location of a larger Denver SC, it only makes sense to place it where Model S owners heading from Cheyenne to Silverthorne will pass by (that direction is a stretch for 85s and hairy for 60s). So I'd site it somewhere near the junction of I-70/C-470/US 6.

As for the location of a larger Denver SC, it only makes sense to place it where Model S owners heading from Cheyenne to Silverthorne will pass by (that direction is a stretch for 85s and hairy for 60s). So I'd site it somewhere near the junction of I-70/C-470/US 6.

I'd consider the Larkridge shopping center at I25 and Hwy 7. Short hop on I25 from E470/NW Parkway if you're circling Denver on the beltway, good place to charge up when heading to DIA from the north or back. When the beltway is completed, there would be Super Chargers at both the north and south ends very near I25. Install two more later near the two junctions of I70 (E) and I70 (W) where they intersect the beltway, and you've covered the major interstate junctions near the edge of town.

Yes, The Colorado Mills/Denver West area has a ton of eats and shops, and very easy on/off I-70. It's about the only place around there really. The NREL employees call the Whole FOods store the "cafeteria". Colo School of Mines staff and students are around the eats alot, because of easy back road to school.

I just came back from running to Breckenridge today with messy snow to and fro. The grade, cold and MgCl2 slush pushed energy use way,way up. From Park Meadows SC right now would be 50kwH to Silverthorne, in my estimation. So I think West Denver along I70 has a real need in the Supercharge end game.

Yes, The Colorado Mills/Denver West area has a ton of eats and shops, and very easy on/off I-70. It's about the only place around there really. The NREL employees call the Whole FOods store the "cafeteria". Colo School of Mines staff and students are around the eats alot, because of easy back road to school.
That would also serve those who stop in Boulder and then want to head up Hwy 93 to I70.