TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Colorado Tax Credit and Financing

Discussion in 'Model 3: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by manitou820, Jul 30, 2017.

1. manitou820

manitou820 Member

Two questions:

1. Does anyone know if Tesla is applying the $5000 Colorado tax credit during the purchase? I know Colorado made this an option starting in 2017, so I'm wondering if Tesla is taking advantage of that.

2. My reservation is under my name, but I'll probably do the financing under my wife's name (I have our other car under my name currently). Is this a problem for Tesla to actually do the financing and title under my wife's name instead of mine?

Thanks!

2. TallPaulS

TallPaulS Member

1) They do not in this current calendar year. This could change but I wouldn't bet on it.

2) Shouldn't be an issue, you could even register under both names as far as Tesla is concerned. Your finance company is the one that will dictate what they allow here.

3. TallPaulS

TallPaulS Member

I should clarify that while they are not doing the 5k up front (yet) you can still receive it when you file for taxes.

4. Weezer Fan

Weezer Fan Member

Hmmm. I read that the $5000 credit could be used for a downpayment for an EV. Nothing specific was said about Tesla. It was in the Denver Post, but I don't have the link handy.

5. dgpcolorado

dgpcolorado high altitude member

6. voip-ninja

voip-ninja Member

Tesla is expanding to five stores in Colorado and adding something like 14 more supercharger stations. Clearly it's an important market for them.

I expect eventually they will allow up front use of the Colorado tax credit.

7. AlanSqB

AlanSqB Dog Chauffeur

The credit is claimed by the financing entity, not the manufacturer. You would have to get the third party lenders Tesla uses to go along with this and that's probably why it hasn't happened yet.

Nissan uses NMAC for lending so that's why they are able to tack the credit on the front with no issue.

• Like x 1
  8. MoEZY

MoEZY Member

Weezer Fan,

I read the same article in the Denver post then I read HB 1332. Based upon what I read it is with whomever you are doing the financing with. If Tesla does not directly participate then the company that finances your auto loan can. It could be Alliant or any institution that you are financing your Tesla purchase through. I hope to learn more this week, my car delivery is in September time frame. Colorado wants to increase its sales of EVs and that is why they have aggressive incentives. Not sure why Tesla would not partner with Colorado since they are getting the $5K from the state per HB 1332.

• Like x 1
  9. MoEZY

MoEZY Member

• Informative x 1