Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Colorado - Tax credit

Eclipso

Sep 8, 2019
Colorado
I just got my plates and decided its a good time to figure out how to get the 5k tax credit. I THINK I might have figured it out but I would like someone who has gotten it to confirm what needs to be done.

Colo10is

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Dec 21, 2016
Lafayette, CO USA
I just got my plates and decided its a good time to figure out how to get the 5k tax credit. I THINK I might have figured it out but I would like someone who has gotten it to confirm what needs to be done.

I purchased a model X in 2017 and used TurboTax to complete my Federal and State Taxes. Fairly straight forward... prompted by a question about if I had any other credits for Electric vehicles I just had to answer Year/Make/Model/VIN/date purchased questions... and state that it was an electric vehicle. Since you asked about CO state tax, the result was an entry of $5000 on line 22 of the 2017 form DR 0104 and the system added a Colorado 2017 form DR 0617 with the data listed above plus a check box for “Purchased New” and the $5000 amount on line 9 (based on the size of the battery, I think). I believe all Tesla models qualify for the full $5000 credit.

Eclipso

Sep 8, 2019
Colorado

ColoradoEV

Nov 13, 2019
New Castle, CO
This is a super helpful thread! I placed an order mid-October to sneak in before Dec. 31. 2020 the CO credit shrinks by 1K and the federal is gone completely! So glad I placed an order now!

Reactions: Matsayz

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC