TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Colorado Tesla dealer reports "drive event party" by end of year

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by voip-ninja, Aug 4, 2017.

1. voip-ninja

voip-ninja Member

stopped into my local Tesla dealership in Lonetree Colorado tonight and got a small tidbit on the availability of test vehicles.

The associates reported to me that they found out that they won't be getting any demo units until early next year.

However they said that there will be a drive event that is invitation only to reservation holders that will be held before the end of the calendar year.

I asked if there was a cap on how many people could attend considering the thousands that have reservations and they didn't know. They did say that it should have a party atmosphere.

• Informative x 1
  2. Runt8

Runt8 Member

That’s my Tesla store too. Did they say how they would choose who was invited?

3. voip-ninja

voip-ninja Member

They asked for my contact information and said I would only be able to attend if I was a reservation holder but couldn't give me more info than that.

4. Runt8

Runt8 Member

Hmm, ok. Guess I’ll be making a stop in at some point in the near future...

5. SageBrush

SageBrush Active Member

One of the few times I wish I lived near a city.

6. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

It's a Tesla store. Tesla doesn't have dealerships, it sells directly. People are used to calling any place you buy a car a "dealership" but fortunately Tesla has a different business model. Much to the dismay of the auto dealer cartel.

• Like x 4
  7. voip-ninja

voip-ninja Member

Dealer/store does the exact terminology matter so much to people? Do they sell and service the automotive product?

The number of pedants in this place boggles the mind.

• Like x 3
    • Disagree x 3
  8. ModelNforNerd

ModelNforNerd Active Member

When the Natick, MA store called me a few weeks ago, they were hoping to have a 3 available in October/November timeframe.

9. mongo

mongo Member

It's an important legal distinction. In Michigan, for instance, it is most definitely not a dealership (currently illegal), and they cannot even help you order.

Service - Yes (well, not in Michigan)
    Sell - No (all sales are on-line, can help you with CPO search, again not in Michigan)

• Informative x 1
  10. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

Yes it really matters, when the auto dealer cartel blocks Tesla from opening stores in some states. It's important for the public to understand that if we're going to get the dealer protection laws changed and remove the limits on how Tesla can compete.

• Like x 1
  11. jsrawa

jsrawa Member

This sounds like a "we don't have a test drive vehicle but here is some free food and drinks" event. Not knocking it, I'm interested.

12. DrivingRockies

I was told at the store opening that they would have it by the end of August.

• Informative x 1
  13. voip-ninja

voip-ninja Member

Littleton store?

14. DrivingRockies

Sorry. I lied. Cherry Creek Mall one. I attended both, didn't ask at Littleton.

15. andrewket

andrewket Well-Known Member

It matters. Tesla is a named party in two state level lawsuits and one federal over their right to sell cars directly and not use the franchise (dealership) model. One of the arguments used by the dealer associations is that consumers will be confused and not understand that they're buying direct from the manufacturer and that dealers "protect the consumer" from the evil manufacturer. We, as Tesla owners and advocates, need to use proper terminology and correct others when we see the term "dealership" being misused. It really does matter.

• Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  16. voip-ninja

voip-ninja Member

I'm neither a Tesla owner or advocate...yet.

I bought my first car 30 years ago. "Car dealer" is hardwired into my brain and that of millions of others.

I can appreciate the difference between "corporate store" and "franchise dealer" however I view it as a minutiae item.

If anything were to turn me off from owning a Tesla other than a poor test drive or the fact that the model S demo units both were falling apart it would be the level of fanaticism of people in places like this.

17. quantumslip

quantumslip Member

the argument over dealer / store is like people arguing over gas pedal / accelerator pedal. yes one may be more technically correct but people have been more commonly calling them by the more common terms (dealer / gas pedal) for years so stuff won't change if ever. let it go and focus on the bigger picture.

• Like x 2
    • Disagree x 2
  18. Solarman004

Solarman004 Member

When at the Lonetree store in July, one of the associates told me they would not have any store display M3s until well into next year, but would be getting a driving demo version this month (Aug).
    That sounded extremely optimistic to me at the time. The version that the OP received sounds more realistic.

19. kierants

kierants Member

My local dealer sent me this last night

Dear xxxx

I just wanted to send you a quick email regarding the Model 3.

Tesla Dublin may be hosting an event soon which will allow you to compare the Model S, X, and 3 side by side. If you are interested in attending, simply reply to this email and we will keep you informed.

After Tesla released exciting details about the Model 3 on Friday, many people are discovering that our Model S and X host more standard features as well as a more impressive range and acceleration time. Even with our new Model 3 hitting the streets, Model S and X continue to be our flagship vehicles packed with the most value. If you are more interested in seeing a price, incentive, and size comparison for the Model 3 and our S and X, please let me know.

Look forward to seeing you in our showroom soon!

20. voip-ninja

voip-ninja Member

Is it just me or is the anti-selling of model 3 hitting new heights?

I saw three videos from the July 28 launch where the vlogger each side something to the affect of "we know it's no model S, that's the flagship and a much better car"... like they had all been given the same cue cards.