Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Colorado waiting room - M3 Performance AWD or non-Perf AWD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Same! Got this one loaded up with some tunes:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BGTG2A0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As far as winter tires go, tirerack.com does list a couple different option on the 20's. One Michelin set and one Pirelli.

My plan (at least for the first winter) is to just have a tire place replace the summer tires with one of those on the existing rims. Maybe later I'll pick up another set of wheels to make swapping back and forth easier.

I've read that you don't even want to *store* the summer tires that come on the 20's in cold temperatures.

Another thing with winter not all that far off: Elon mentioned that they'll sell official Tesla all-weather floor mats by the time the snow falls. Right now, they only have cargo mats for the Model 3.

i bought a 2nd set of wheels for the winter from tsportline, and i use discount tire or le schwab to swap them out for free. they will also rotate wheels.

Is there any downside of just having them swap the tires on and off the stock wheels?

Which T Sportline ones did you go with? These seem cool:

yes swapping can weaken the side walls, plus 20” winter tires or all seasons are expensive AF. i will run the P3D+ 20s in the summer (btw getting them powder coated) and i got the replica Model S wheels in black off T sportline in 19” for winter, i have not purchased tires yet. i have done this on my BMWs for years.

• Informative
Reactions: SteveTack
Generally pretty good but with one hiccup. The people who took me through the walkaround and paperwork were very friendly/helpful. The issue was that I had ordered my car with FSD and EAP, both of which were reflected on my MVPA, but neither was installed or on the Monroney.

The result was an hour wait while they took the car back over to service and pushed (but did not install) the software update. I then pushed the install last night.

This put a pretty big snag in what would have otherwise been a very painless process. Sort of seems like they should have confirmed the installed config matched what was ordered as part of the prep process, but I guess that is not part of the review.

The good news is that the car is phenomenal...so blown away by everything about it, from the performance to the interface to the interior. The best way I can describe the acceleration is that you just think about what speed you want to be going and instantly that's how fast you are going.
Have you by any chance driven the Model 3 that isn't performance?

yes swapping can weaken the side walls, plus 20” winter tires or all seasons are expensive AF. i will run the P3D+ 20s in the summer (btw getting them powder coated) and i got the replica Model S wheels in black off T sportline in 19” for winter, i have not purchased tires yet. i have done this on my BMWs for years.

I noticed on the Tesla site that you can get 19's with pre-installed winter tires for $3500. Doesn't sound *too* bad? Did you get T Sportline wheels just for a different look or to save a bit of cash (or something else)?

I noticed on the Tesla site that you can get 19's with pre-installed winter tires for $3500. Doesn't sound *too* bad? Did you get T Sportline wheels just for a different look or to save a bit of cash (or something else)?

yes, and my car is going to be a StormTrooper so i needed black wheels. :) i am having my 20s powdercoated as soon as she arrives. i am having all the chrome deleted. we should all meet up some time!

Have not...driving mine off the lot was my first time, which felt a little bit crazy. I drove an 85D a year ago and, while totally unreliable, my butt dyno did feel a difference.
Thanks. I'm set to test the LR RWD 3, I was hoping they'd have the performance one. I am close to ordering either a P3D, or a model S. We have the 90D X right now so I was hoping to really test out and see if the upgrades are worth it.

yeah I am torn on the awd/pawd fence and called the park meadows store and they told me they don't have either of those for a test drive. only RWD. ugh.... guess I am looking for ways to tell myself stick with awd but don't wanna look back a year from now. living vicariously through all of you guys ordering pawd and reading reviews :)

yes, and my car is going to be a StormTrooper so i needed black wheels. :) i am having my 20s powdercoated as soon as she arrives. i am having all the chrome deleted.

Nice.

With red, I'm not sure if I'd want to do the same or not. I'm half tempted to try and match Franz' Model 3 (you've probably seen this before):
A look at Tesla Chief Designer’s stunning custom Model 3

He even did a "red out" on the door handles. Without the lowering, it's never quite going to look that cool I suppose.

But I like the stock look fine too really. So does a chrome delete have a limited lifespan? Like, after a few years it comes off?

we should all meet up some time!

Sure!

For winter tires your best bet is likely tirerack + Barnsley tires, with some nice nokians.
Most Tesla owners in Boulder go to Barnsley so they shouldn't make mistakes with the setup.
We went that method for our Teslas last winter (don't ask how many) and we're happy.
Do you mean you bought the tires from Tirerack and just had Barnsley install them? Also what are nokians?

yeah I am torn on the awd/pawd fence and called the park meadows store and they told me they don't have either of those for a test drive. only RWD. ugh.... guess I am looking for ways to tell myself stick with awd but don't wanna look back a year from now. living vicariously through all of you guys ordering pawd and reading reviews :)
Yeah, bummer for sure. I just want to drive it and sit in it for more than 5 minutes to gauge how I feel about it. If we like it enough as is then the performance one will be the one we buy. I doubt it'll be something we hate. Worst case scenario is that we do not like it and switch to the S.

Denver
7/29/17 Reservation
Non-owner
6/28/18 Invitation
6/28/18 Config & Order
AWD Non P, Red, EAP & FSD, 19" Sport wheels
7/9/18 Change from Sport wheels to Aeros
Cash/No Trade
New confirmation page. No edit button available.

Delivery estimate Sep-Nov

You are correct. They charge 4% which is 2.9% state + 1% RTD + 0.1% Cultural Facilities tax.

I guess I just meant that they do not charge county or local taxes. You pay those when registering.
As long as the percent is correct you're good to go. If Tesla misses on the break down (for instance I do not pay RTD) they're liable, not you. Just food for thought since this ended up being an issue for me with Land Rover Denver sometime ago.

Nice.

With red, I'm not sure if I'd want to do the same or not. I'm half tempted to try and match Franz' Model 3 (you've probably seen this before):

He even did a "red out" on the door handles. Without the lowering, it's never quite going to look that cool I suppose.

But I like the stock look fine too really. So does a chrome delete have a limited lifespan? Like, after a few years it comes off?

i would totally do the Franz if i went with red. i was told if the vinyl is taken care of, not abused, 7 years. i don't think i will keep my 3 for longer than that, there will be Model 3 Gen 2 and Model S Gen 2 out by then.

Do you mean you bought the tires from Tirerack and just had Barnsley install them? Also what are nokians?

Nokian is a tire brand. They make great winter tires. We used Barnsley for Nokian R2's on a model S and Nokian Hakka 8's studded on a Subaru Forester XT. Good shop and good tires I will be using again with my 3.

Nice.

Sure!

I've got a red model 3 ordered and also was thinking of going for Franz's model 3 look. I ordered the 19's with the intent to have them powder-coated similar to Franz's, but I also am searching for lighter weight 19's, so who knows what I'll end up with. I think chrome delete wraps need some minor maintenance as edges may curl over time here and there, but nearly two years into a chrome delete on an S and everything is holding up great save some minor lift on the inside of the door handles.