Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Colorado waiting room - M3 Performance AWD or non-Perf AWD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ah, okay. So not anything close to scientific.

I don't know what your definition of scientific is in this context so I can't respond to that. I would, however, call Troy's data representative. His production/delivery estimates have tracked very closely -- within a couple percent -- of what Tesla reports each quarter. His data represents approximately 2% of real-world orders.

Tesla has likely scheduled somewhere in the vicinity of 15,000 deliveries next week, or nearly twice the number they did in all of Q2, and 78% more than they planned for this week. From a logistics standpoint (getting the cars to the delivery centers, inspecting them, detailing them, repairing small defects, communicating with the customer, preparing forms, and managing the actual deliveries), that's a massive increase. I can't imagine how they're handling it. I'm also not sure where all those cars are going to come from.

So I got my finalized trade details today.
Waiting on my Inside Delivery Advisor to "finalize the paperwork". Hoping that is today since I'm scheduled for pickup Monday and I still need to make my loan official and get everything else together. I may have to push my delivery to Tuesday or Wednesday to allow me proper time to make the rest of the deal wheels turn.

I'm still flabbergasted by the 180-delivery guesstimate for Saturday. My pickup back in May took about 45 min all-in with a trade, and I took very little in the way of tutorial. If you assume they can do a dozen at a time and they each take 45 min, that's about one every 4 minutes, or 15 per hour. A 12-hour day, but they're open 10a-6p, or 8 hours. So let's assume 30 minutes per, and we get 24 per hour. That'd get the job done.

White, LR, DM, 19" Wheels, EAP, FSD
Reserved - Dec/2017
Built and Deposited - June 27
Delivery Date - Sept 25th @ 10am
No VIN assigned with 5 days to go sounds like this is typical at this point

Just checked the web account for the 1000th time - VIN ASSIGNED Sept 20

I'll take some pictures on Tues if all goes well. I bet Sat the 29th will be a total circus with end of month/quarter coming.

Reactions: tvisdog
I'm 9 days from my scheduled delivery and my backdoor edit link still works.
9 days out is no reason to worry.
I got my VIN and edit url stopped working yesterday for this Sat. delivery.
I never heard anything from DSA and don't know who it is. Just tried to call Littleton to ask if they really have the car and few other things and they are not picking up at the delivery extension. The message says mailbox is full, but if you need assistance press 0. I pressed 0 and was told the transfer phone # is invalid. Nice way to short circuit the 0! :D
Wondering if I should drive over there to ask questions or they pick up later.

Reactions: tvisdog
Well, I had to drive there as nobody picks up the phone...They told me the system shows that my car is on their lot, but would not let me see it as it hasn't been washed(detailed).

I asked if that'd be ok to initiate ACH after I see the car on Sat (considering banks might be closed) and they said yes, it's fine, whatever makes me comfortable.

They suggested to move my delivery to tomorrow, but I can't. Oh, also suggested home delivery.

I came about 10 min before they close and in the front office did not see much commotion. There were multiple employees standing around and did not see anybody who looked like they were taking delivery. Maybe it's in a different location.

Last edited:
Well, I had to drive there as nobody picks up the phone...They told me the system shows that my car is on their lot, but would not let me see it as it hasn't been washed(detailed).

I asked if that'd be ok to initiate ACH after I see the car on Sat (considering banks might be closed) and they said yes, it's fine, whatever makes me comfortable.

They suggested to move my delivery to tomorrow, but I can't. Oh, also suggested home delivery.

I came about 10 min before they close and in the front office did not see much commotion. There were multiple employees standing around and did not see anybody who looked like they were taking delivery. Maybe it's in a different location.

I'm afraid I'd have walked around the lot and peeked at VINs until I found my car...

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
I'm afraid I'd have walked around the lot and peeked at VINs until I found my car...
Well, I felt like it wasn't worth the conflict - maybe some of them would see me walking around and say smth like "sir, we asked you not to go to that lot". Its in their possession, not mine right now. They said its in some overflow lot with cars that are not ready yet. Maybe they challenge all people there. Not a big deal, I will see it soon.

Plus the place is packed with cars, it may take a long time to find it.

Reactions: MXWing
Well, I felt like it wasn't worth the conflict - maybe some of them would see me walking around and say smth like "sir, we asked you not to go to that lot". Its in their possession, not mine right now. They said its in some overflow lot with cars that are not ready yet. Maybe they challenge all people there. Not a big deal, I will see it soon.

Plus the place is packed with cars, it may take a long time to find it.

Good point. Wouldn't want them to "lose" your car for spite. Just pretend today is December 23rd...

It you're legitimately scoping out your car, which you genuinely intend to pay $50k+ for in a matter of days, the correct response would be "folks, back the heck off."
Seriously? back off? Until you paid, they don't know if you will. Maybe you'll reject the car b/c of some minor thing. Until you paid, it's theirs and they may need to protect it for the next customer.

In fact, that overflow lot with un-detailed cars, I would prefer myself if nobody walked there. It maybe random people just looking around and meanwhile accidentally damaging cars that Tesla will have to pay for, b/c you're not going to like to see that damage when it's done to your car. And how is Tesla to know if it's random people walking there or people getting delivery tomorrow? Do they need to hire few people who'll be asking this question everyone who's walking there? Would you like to pay for those employees as part of your car cost?

I prefer that all prospective and unconfirmed customers look at the cars that are in Tesla's show room or right outside, where employees can observe. It's easier to protect the cars if there are cordoned off areas where nobody is walking.

Also, knowing that you'll be coming back there for service and maybe seeing some of those same guys again, do you want to be considered a jerk by them? For no good reason? I can wait extra 2 days, I'll see the car anyway since it's there; to me it is not a big deal at all.

Never visited a car dealership before, I see.
Normally, you check out the cars inside the dealership. If you're ready to buy and looking for a specific configuration, then a salesperson would locate your car, get the key for it, and walk with you to that car and stand nearby while you're checking it out or taking to a test drive.

Otherwise, people usually check out cars out front, were a whole bunch of dealership employees can observe you through the glass wall.
Some do wander into the other areas on their own, but there's a big difference between Tesla and other dealerships:
in other dealerships, the cars do not belong to any buyers and if damaged, you can care less, b/c they'll find you another one.

In Tesla, if it is YOUR car that is damaged, you'll be pissed, b/c it will take you weeks to get a replacement or otherwise your new car will need to go to the body shop and you still will wait instead of taking it home.

I think this difference is sufficient for Tesla to take a more restrictive approach to protecting those cars.

Look, I was being facetious with 'back off.' I'd never be that rude to an employee. But there are two scenarios here: either it's 'your' car and it's ok for you to look (but not touch). Or it's not 'your' car, and therefore it's no one's car (yet) and it's ok for you to look (but not touch).

I disagree with your description of car lots. Never in my life, across many dozens of visits spanning the gamut of brands, have I ever had a dealership employee express any issue with a prospective customer ogling vehicles on the lot. There is no expectation that a salesperson accompany someone viewing vehicles on an open lot. Further, you keep mentioning damage, implying you are concerned about something I'm not advocating.

But I believe we're now seriously derailing this thread.

Look, I was being facetious with 'back off.' I'd never be that rude to an employee. But there are two scenarios here: either it's 'your' car and it's ok for you to look (but not touch). Or it's not 'your' car, and therefore it's no one's car (yet) and it's ok for you to look (but not touch).
The way I see it, they either go there with you (and they may not have time for it until it's your delivery day) or they let everybody go on their own, in which case nobody will know if twenty people walking there are all legitimate buyers. And if they are not legitimate buyers, it may not take much for a damage to happen. Somebody carrying keys in their hand, purse on their shoulder with some metal parts - they walk between the cars or turn around carelessly and the car has a scratch. Everybody here says they want their car to be perfect and will not take any scratches. That means body shop and Tesla pays. And if there are kids with anything in their hands :eek: walking with parents, then the chances of damage increase exponentially.

I checked, they were not comfortable with me walking there for whatever reason (the reason stated was that they want customers to see their car perfect rather than dirty for a good first impression), I am fine with whatever the policy is.

I disagree with your description of car lots. Never in my life, across many dozens of visits spanning the gamut of brands, have I ever had a dealership employee express any issue with a prospective customer ogling vehicles on the lot. There is no expectation that a salesperson accompany someone viewing vehicles on an open lot.
Dealeships want to win your business, they need to sell all those cars. Tesla does not need to sell the cars that have been sold already.
They have a number of cars in the show room or out front that represent all their options. There's really no need for prospective customers to wander in the back lots.