Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Colored DRLs, Colored Calipers, and other Tricked Out Options?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Considering the Model S is a bit exotic, I was curious what options (however tasteful or not) could be done to make the thing stand out even more than it already does.

Do you remember the Alpha version of the Model S had these cool neon blue Daytime Running Lights? Whatever happened to those? Are those even street legal? And if so, is a similar mod even possible?

9565513d_tesla-model-s-menlo-park8.JPG

Another possible way to add some character and color to the exterior, would be to use colored brake caliper (covers or paint). Cheap and no drastic change to the car.

3513323793_183c2e4bfa_o.jpg

And perhaps a colored version of the Tesla emblem for the wheels?

2697404005_31047b08d8.jpg

Any thoughts about these or other changes you could make to the exterior to give it your own unique splash?

I tend to smoke the turn signals on my cars, but the Tesla ones aren't visibly yellow (unless lit), so not sure there. I think we'll see some grille options and some CF bits. Likely some body kits (skirts to cover the silver trim and more aggressive fascias). I don't care so much the color of my calipers as I care about the stopping power. I'd like some big ole brembo-style brakes up in there.

The brake calipers on the Model S look like beautiful Ferrari-eske works of art (in the pictures I have seen anyway). It would be a shame to cover them up, like they were Honda Civic parts.

GSP

PS. But, I do want the Aero wheels. Maybe someone will make a transparent aero wheel....

Funny, they are required by law in Canada.

I understand the blue lights in the original prototype didn't make it to production because blue is illegal.

I think that is what they were also referring to. I believe blue lights on cars in Florida is also illegal.

My DRLs are exactly the same as my headlamps. In fact the only way to turn off my headlamps when my car is on is to pull the parking brake. My headlamps only turn on my tail lights, and change my Halogen 'Flash to Pass' lights, to my brights.

That being said I have always driven pretty much everywhere with full headlights and taillights.

We were talking about the blue ones, which are apparently illegal at least in a few states. DRLs may be a requirement of all newly manufactured cars in the States as well.

Okay. The DRLs are a very good idea, in my experience. It makes it much easier to judge the distance to an oncoming car when you're passing. A lot of people are too dumb to turn on their headlights in fog or poor visibility, and of course some people forget to turn on their lights at night.

Okay. The DRLs are a very good idea, in my experience. It makes it much easier to judge the distance to an oncoming car when you're passing. A lot of people are too dumb to turn on their headlights in fog or poor visibility, and of course some people forget to turn on their lights at night.

Absolutely. Or when the sun is at the right angle making it nearly impossible to see cars without the DRLs.

When I was in college, I hung Christmas lights on the outside of my car (hood to trunk)!

I was pulled over by a state trooper one day while driving down the highway at night for having colored lights on the outside of my car. In particular, he said that you couldn't even have any white lights behind the windshield except to indicate reversing. It makes sense of course, but seemed to dampen the holiday spirit!

Point is: most (all?) U.S. states have laws restricting the use of colored lighting on the outside of the car.