TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Colored DRLs, Colored Calipers, and other Tricked Out Options?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by onlinespending, Mar 20, 2012.

1. onlinespending

Considering the Model S is a bit exotic, I was curious what options (however tasteful or not) could be done to make the thing stand out even more than it already does.

Do you remember the Alpha version of the Model S had these cool neon blue Daytime Running Lights? Whatever happened to those? Are those even street legal? And if so, is a similar mod even possible?

9565513d_tesla-model-s-menlo-park8.JPG

Another possible way to add some character and color to the exterior, would be to use colored brake caliper (covers or paint). Cheap and no drastic change to the car.

3513323793_183c2e4bfa_o.jpg

And perhaps a colored version of the Tesla emblem for the wheels?

2697404005_31047b08d8.jpg

Any thoughts about these or other changes you could make to the exterior to give it your own unique splash?

2. 132

132 Member

I would never do it, but instead of flames... Lightning bolts! Painted so it's only seen from one direction

3. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

I tend to smoke the turn signals on my cars, but the Tesla ones aren't visibly yellow (unless lit), so not sure there. I think we'll see some grille options and some CF bits. Likely some body kits (skirts to cover the silver trim and more aggressive fascias). I don't care so much the color of my calipers as I care about the stopping power. I'd like some big ole brembo-style brakes up in there.

4. kendallpb

kendallpb Model S: P 8061

I didn't realize the Model S had Daytime Running Lights (of any colour). Yucko. I didn't notice that, but it's on the specs page. Ah well, no car is perfect.

5. onlinespending

These DRLs look pretty nice. And you always have the option to turn them off from the touchscreen.

6. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Why yuck on DRLs?

7. 1young1

1young1 Model S #P5673

Love the DRLs on the Betas.

8. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

Not legal in California. I think mainly the cops use them as an excuse to pull over ricers.

9. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

nor here or NJ IIRC.

10. Kipernicus

Kipernicus Model S Res#P1440

That's too bad about the blue DRLs not being legal. That was one of the things that wowed me when I first saw pics of the S prototype. That and the "seats 7" and I was sold.

11. GSP

GSP Member

The brake calipers on the Model S look like beautiful Ferrari-eske works of art (in the pictures I have seen anyway). It would be a shame to cover them up, like they were Honda Civic parts.

GSP

PS. But, I do want the Aero wheels. Maybe someone will make a transparent aero wheel....

12. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Funny, they are required by law in Canada.

I understand the blue lights in the original prototype didn't make it to production because blue is illegal.

13. onlinespending

We were talking about the blue ones, which are apparently illegal at least in a few states. DRLs may be a requirement of all newly manufactured cars in the States as well.

14. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

I think that is what they were also referring to. I believe blue lights on cars in Florida is also illegal.

My DRLs are exactly the same as my headlamps. In fact the only way to turn off my headlamps when my car is on is to pull the parking brake. My headlamps only turn on my tail lights, and change my Halogen 'Flash to Pass' lights, to my brights.

That being said I have always driven pretty much everywhere with full headlights and taillights.

15. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Okay. The DRLs are a very good idea, in my experience. It makes it much easier to judge the distance to an oncoming car when you're passing. A lot of people are too dumb to turn on their headlights in fog or poor visibility, and of course some people forget to turn on their lights at night.

16. onlinespending

Absolutely. Or when the sun is at the right angle making it nearly impossible to see cars without the DRLs.

17. dmckinstry

dmckinstry Model S - U.S. P - #1649

If the only difference between the Aero wheels and the standard is a smoothly curved "hub cap", I'd prefer transparent to the "lame" blades in the photos I've seen.

18. kendallpb

Oh okay, never mind then. I've only heard of them in the "automagic/can't turn off" way. Yay! And yes, you're right that for DRLs, they look great.

19. kendallpb

The only ones I've heard of (and thought I'd seen) are basically weak headlights that don't help but are supposed to (do I notice the lights first, in the middle of the day, or the giant car? it's the giant car, of course), and just look bad. IMHO, obviously. ;-) I'm just not fan of the type I've heard of/seen.

20. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

When I was in college, I hung Christmas lights on the outside of my car (hood to trunk)!

I was pulled over by a state trooper one day while driving down the highway at night for having colored lights on the outside of my car. In particular, he said that you couldn't even have any white lights behind the windshield except to indicate reversing. It makes sense of course, but seemed to dampen the holiday spirit!

Point is: most (all?) U.S. states have laws restricting the use of colored lighting on the outside of the car.