Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Colored DRLs, Colored Calipers, and other Tricked Out Options?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The only ones I've heard of (and thought I'd seen) are basically weak headlights that don't help but are supposed to (do I notice the lights first, in the middle of the day, or the giant car? it's the giant car, of course), and just look bad. IMHO, obviously. ;-) I'm just not fan of the type I've heard of/seen.

Up here in Canada, every car has them - unless it's visiting from the USA. And they do work. It probably doesn't matter that much at high noon on a bright "severe clear" sunny day, but trust me, there's lots of days where the visibility isn't 100% and many people still don't bother turning on their headlights.

I think DRLs can be pretty cool now, especially with what can be done with LEDs and some light piping.

In California, the only light colors that are allowed are white and amber in the front, and red and amber in the rear. White is also allowed in the rear, but only when in reverse.

I've already designed my aftermarket Model S!

fire.jpg

^ Compensating for the lack of internal combustion, Kevin?! :)

Just you wait until I put on my aftermarket clutch!

As far as modifications, I do think painted calipers are nice. The blue accent lighting looked cool initially in some of the videos, but I generally do tend to roll my eyes when I see that on other cars driving down the street.

Most aftermarket accents I feel distract from the quality of any car.

The worst thing that could happen to this car would be to see someone add a whale tail on the back.

Caliper covers are a really bad idea. They increase the unsprung mass of the suspension which is a detriment to ride and handling. They can decrease the calipers ability to dissipate heat and thus braking effectiveness. Worse yet, they can come detached from the caliper suddenly jamming in the wheel and locking it up. Just paint the calipers if you want them a different color.

really simple, not exactly "tricked out", and probably illegal mod I did to my car is change the side markers to red bulbs, to match the other red accents ... (brake calipers, "T" on wheel center caps, and "T" on front and back grills) ... on my matte gunmetal car, with matte black and carbon fiber trim

Last edited by a moderator: