Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Colored Maps - What Happened?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also posted in 2020.4 thread.

Got 2020.4.1 this afternoon. First thing I noticed was the maps were in color. Lakes and streams were blue, parks were green, etc. Really nice compared to the previous shades of grey.

Stopped at a supermarket to pick up a few items, came back out and the maps had returned to grey.

Has anyone else noticed this? Is there a setting somewhere that I'm missing?

I want the colored maps back!!!

Also posted in 2020.4 thread.

Got 2020.4.1 this afternoon. First thing I noticed was the maps were in color. Lakes and streams were blue, parks were green, etc. Really nice compared to the previous shades of grey.

Stopped at a supermarket to pick up a few items, came back out and the maps had returned to grey.

Has anyone else noticed this? Is there a setting somewhere that I'm missing?

I want the colored maps back!!!

Perhaps the display switched to night mode? You can always disable it in the display settings and see if you get the colour back.

Mine were colored back in May 2018, then they released the new de-saturated map style a couple months later. It's been like that for 18 months at least. Maybe some bug caused it to revert back? This build had a bunch of plumbing work for hooking up maps in China to use a different source.

Reactions: evannole
I just chatted with tech support. Nice guy, he was trying to be helpful.

He explained that the car was designed to have gray scale maps, and when it was temporarily in color that was a bug. He said he would be happy to submit an enhancement request for a future update though. I explained that the car was already capable of color maps since they were color today after the update.

In short, the color maps might come back someday but I should not hold my breath.

Disappointing to know that the car has the capability but they choose not to enable it. Except for the bug which was there today and accidentally let the color through. :)

Reactions: jfinephilly

He explained that the car was designed to have gray scale maps, and when it was temporarily in color that was a bug. He said he would be happy to submit an enhancement request for a future update though. I explained that the car was already capable of color maps since they were color today after the update.

In short, the color maps might come back someday but I should not hold my breath.

Disappointing to know that the car has the capability but they choose not to enable it. Except for the bug which was there today and accidentally let the color through. :)
I have 2019.40.50 but my maps have been in colour for the last year at least. touching the globe makes it alternate between colour and grey scale. My lakes are blue...like my car. Is your CAR grey now?

another thought: I just noticed you said you had colOR maps breifly. Maybe you should ask for the Canadian version, and you might get permanent coLOUR maps.

Reactions: RobRain
The grayscale maps came with an update in mid 2018. Here's a thread about it:

Tesla navigation map is now in grey scale - how do we change this?

I think it's better because the colors could be distracting.

I didn't read through that Model S forum thread you linked, but I remember around the time it happened, ones of the hypothesized reasons was that it was done to train us to recognize that blue on the screen meant Autopilot was activated. And you know what, it actually worked in my case. Sometimes when a song comes on that has the right shade of blue in the album cover, it causes me to do a quick double-take and check my Autopilot status.