Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Colored PPF?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So currently there seem to be two primary supplies or colored PPF, Stek Dyno and GSWF. GSWF has a larger color selection and is a dry application (which in theory is easier to apply), but their warranty is only 3 or 5 years (from what I can recall). Stek is 10 years and they have a ceramic coating built as part of their PPF. Because protection was the primary reason for my purchase, I went with Stek and chose Miami Blue. I went with the shop that M|S|M MYP referred and they did an outstanding job. They even helped me identify additional build quality issues along the way. I would definitely recommend them. Depending on the lighting, the color looks slightly different
CA76B8A7-5F26-4ADD-8419-3F7C39BAC073.jpeg

Attachments

• 6F92D9DE-73B2-46C4-9688-B5452527BB2E.jpeg
    6F92D9DE-73B2-46C4-9688-B5452527BB2E.jpeg
    774.8 KB · Views: 787
So currently there seem to be two primary supplies or colored PPF, Stek Dyno and GSWF. GSWF has a larger color selection and is a dry application (which in theory is easier to apply), but their warranty is only 3 or 5 years (from what I can recall). Stek is 10 years and they have a ceramic coating built as part of their PPF. Because protection was the primary reason for my purchase, I went with Stek and chose Miami Blue. I went with the shop that M|S|M MYP referred and they did an outstanding job. They even helped me identify additional build quality issues along the way. I would definitely recommend them. Depending on the lighting, the color looks slightly different View attachment 838303
Glad to see that Jose took good care of you! He is such an awesome guy and so down to earth. If you have any issues, he will take care of it immediately! Car looks great!

Reactions: toast4321
So currently there seem to be two primary supplies or colored PPF, Stek Dyno and GSWF. GSWF has a larger color selection and is a dry application (which in theory is easier to apply), but their warranty is only 3 or 5 years (from what I can recall). Stek is 10 years and they have a ceramic coating built as part of their PPF. Because protection was the primary reason for my purchase, I went with Stek and chose Miami Blue. I went with the shop that M|S|M MYP referred and they did an outstanding job. They even helped me identify additional build quality issues along the way. I would definitely recommend them. Depending on the lighting, the color looks slightly different View attachment 838303
Could you share the name of the shop if you don't mind? Thanks.

It looks great!! How much more is the dynoshield vs standard stek PPF?

I currently live in Southern California (Sherman Oaks area) and plan to regularly take the 5 up to Northern California (once every month or two), so I'd like to get PPF to protect the vehicle, however I'd love to change the color up. Perhaps with some baby blue color. I know I could get a colored vinyl wrap but due to the potential rock chips, I'd love to have the additional protection of PPF. Is there such a thing as colored PPF? Or do people usually get color vinyl with PPF on top (or perhaps PPF with the vinyl on top)? Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
I did Stek Dynoprisim on MSM and it turned the color to a bluish purple with alot of metal flake

Attachments

• 52232452334_f0706a98f1_b.jpg
    52232452334_f0706a98f1_b.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 294
  • 52231182187_5835119749_b.jpg
    52231182187_5835119749_b.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 314
Been doing PPF on all my cars for some time now. It’s expensive to have it done right and is obviously a personal choice. I am very meticulous and it has saved the paint from some pretty major rock chips and deep scratches.

You mentioned colored PPF - take a look at STEK Dyno - they are crushing it right now and it carries the same warranty as the XPEL but still has the thickness to protect your paint. We did Dyno Gray this time around.

That's gorgeous!

Reactions: SpicyPaneer
What is a typical price range for PPF on a Model Y?
It's hard to say because pricing will be highly dependent on your area (California pricing will be much more than Kentucky) and what you do. Many people only use PPF on high impact areas (front of the car, mirrors, door handles, etc). That's much cheaper than a full car. I'd suggest searching through the forums as people may have posted pricing from your area or calling a few local shops.

Here's our new MYP, wrapped in Stek DynoPurple (original color: MSM). We had the brakes painted purple as well. One thing he hadn't considered: the need to paint the sensors to match the film (this was a bit labor-intensive, as the bumpers needed to be removed, to get to the sensors).

Combined with the TSportline TSS 18s, I think it came out really nice...

View attachment 840869
Wow!!! Looks fantastic!

• Love
Reactions: Y_tho
I love the Dyno purple, can't find a Stek installer in NJ though, they say they do not recommend colored ppf, I just think they lack the patience in installing this. any recommendations in NJ for installers? I'm in central NJ.
I can't give any recommendations in NJ, but if you're willing to head a few hours down to Maryland, I'll be happy to give you all the info on the installer here (I've now had 3 Teslas wrapped by them, one each of Xpel Ultimate, Xpel Stealth, and Stek DynoPurple)

Regarding recommending / not recommending colored PPF, I think there are a few factors to consider:
  • It's more labor-intensive.
  • Unlike, say, Xpel Ultimate/Stealth (where my installer has rolls and rolls of the stuff), they had to special-order the Stek, as it's not normally stocked. Adds a bit of stress since, if anything goes wrong requiring a replacement piece, they need to order more material (like... another roll)
  • The Stek colored PPF is more expensive, materials-wise.
  • Regarding your car: consider the base paint color (you'll see it in the frunk, inside the hatch lid, and in the door frames. Our base color is MSM. Black would work just as well. Not sure how nice the color-change would look if you went with white, red, or blue. Hopefully you can find some photos online.
If your shop hasn't worked with colored PPF yet, my opinion is that it's worth seeking a shop that has. The shop I went to (All American Paint Protection) has worked with Stek colored PPF in the past (just not purple).

I can't give any recommendations in NJ, but if you're willing to head a few hours down to Maryland, I'll be happy to give you all the info on the installer here (I've now had 3 Teslas wrapped by them, one each of Xpel Ultimate, Xpel Stealth, and Stek DynoPurple)

Regarding recommending / not recommending colored PPF, I think there are a few factors to consider:
  • It's more labor-intensive.
  • Unlike, say, Xpel Ultimate/Stealth (where my installer has rolls and rolls of the stuff), they had to special-order the Stek, as it's not normally stocked. Adds a bit of stress since, if anything goes wrong requiring a replacement piece, they need to order more material (like... another roll)
  • The Stek colored PPF is more expensive, materials-wise.
  • Regarding your car: consider the base paint color (you'll see it in the frunk, inside the hatch lid, and in the door frames. Our base color is MSM. Black would work just as well. Not sure how nice the color-change would look if you went with white, red, or blue. Hopefully you can find some photos online.
If your shop hasn't worked with colored PPF yet, my opinion is that it's worth seeking a shop that has. The shop I went to (All American Paint Protection) has worked with Stek colored PPF in the past (just not purple).
Hi, I have msm, I just want the exterior. I understand the material is hard because it’s thicker . The installer I called said, there would be color gaps as they don’t take the car apart by the bumper area so the msm would show in certain spots. I’m like no thanks. I have a Xpel installer I used to my past BMW. I’m going have to do a search for the Matte finish.

Hi, I have msm, I just want the exterior. I understand the material is hard because it’s thicker . The installer I called said, there would be color gaps as they don’t take the car apart by the bumper area so the msm would show in certain spots. I’m like no thanks. I have a Xpel installer I used to my past BMW. I’m going have to do a search for the Matte finish.
1660864572700.jpeg

STEK Satin/Matte on MSM Performance Y :)

Reactions: SpicyPaneer