Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Colors, am I crazy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think a couple of the Model Y colors are different than the Model 3 equivalents. Am I crazy?

* the midnight silver looks significantly more blue.
* the red looks brighter, more orange vs the slightly dark shade of red in the model 3

I think I'm convinced that the blues are the same. And I know there's another thread where people were saying they thought the reds were the same.

Any other opinions? All these colors look different in different lighting conditions and settings so it's not totally easy to be sure, but I'm currently not convinced that the model Y's red and MSM are the same as the model 3

not specific to tesla's but its common for other auto manufacturers to have slightly different shades of the same color depending on which factory the car was built from.

for example, my grey VW GTI, the paint shop was showing me that there were 5 variations of the same name grey color.

• Informative
Reactions: gavine
I think a couple of the Model Y colors are different than the Model 3 equivalents. Am I crazy?

* the midnight silver looks significantly more blue.
* the red looks brighter, more orange vs the slightly dark shade of red in the model 3

I think I'm convinced that the blues are the same. And I know there's another thread where people were saying they thought the reds were the same.

Any other opinions? All these colors look different in different lighting conditions and settings so it's not totally easy to be sure, but I'm currently not convinced that the model Y's red and MSM are the same as the model 3

Maybe different batches of paint, change of suppliers, or changes to the paint process.

It's all out of the same paintshop. It would make zero sense to make a different shade of the same color for any new 3/Ys coming out of the factory. Tesla wants to reduce production complexity.