Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Colors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone,

I am close to make a decision on model x. I have few more questions.

1. Color. I have always stuck with white or black colors. I am looking at a blue demo... anyone with blue color regret getting it

2. The blue demo is 75d..is it worth going up to 90d or even 100d. I am looking from a price point. Has anyone purchased a 75 and wished they would have paid extra to get the 90 or 100.

3. Is if worth getting the extended warranty.

All replies appreciated!

Raj

The current Tesla blue is a really nice color in my opinion (but I ended up going with Titanium, which was since discontinued.)

My 75 has been fine for all sorts of trips so far; I don't regret not getting the 90 for the extra twenty miles and slightly faster Supercharging. There was only one leg I was nervous about (wytheville va to Asheville nc in freezing weather, 172 miles with mountain grades with almost no charging in between,) and I made it okay by slowing down to 65 and charging to 100%.

Having said that, the 100 for only $3k more is an amazing value by comparison and if it had been available back then I probably would have paid the $13k extra to upgrade to that.

You'll never regret having more range... I found a CPO P90D with Ludacris mode and it only has 2800 miles but the 250 mile range is keeping me from getting it. Even though it has nearly every option I want and it's a $30k savings from a new P100D. That extra 40 miles of range makes a big difference in my world. Ugh!!!

The current Tesla blue is a really nice color in my opinion (but I ended up going with Titanium, which was since discontinued.)

My 75 has been fine for all sorts of trips so far; I don't regret not getting the 90 for the extra twenty miles and slightly faster Supercharging. There was only one leg I was nervous about (wytheville va to Asheville nc in freezing weather, 172 miles with mountain grades with almost no charging in between,) and I made it okay by slowing down to 65 and charging to 100%.

Having said that, the 100 for only $3k more is an amazing value by comparison and if it had been available back then I probably would have paid the $13k extra to upgrade to that.
Do you remember what percentage the X had left when you reached Asheville? I am trying to find every reason to not get the 90d/100d.... My route planner says that charging to 90% at wythville, I would reach Asheville with around 10%. I can't imagine the hit on range during winter though.

Do you remember what percentage the X had left when you reached Asheville? I am trying to find every reason to not get the 90d/100d.... My route planner says that charging to 90% at wythville, I would reach Asheville with around 10%. I can't imagine the hit on range during winter though.

If I remember right, it ended up being around 12% (~30 miles.)

Here's a photo from late in the drive showing an 8% prediction, and another one of the trips after I arrived, which unfortunately doesn't go far enough left to show the current battery status. I'm pretty sure 100% of useable energy on my X75D is around 67.5 kWh.

This version of the energy planner under predicts the effect of elevation - my predicted arrival percentage would fall every time I climbed very much, and come back up as I descended, and the 8% is while I was still somewhat in the mountains.

IMG_0368.JPG
IMG_0366.JPG

If I remember right, it ended up being around 12% (~30 miles.)

Here's a photo from late in the drive showing an 8% prediction, and another one of the trips after I arrived, which unfortunately doesn't go far enough left to show the current battery status. I'm pretty sure 100% of useable energy on my X75D is around 67.5 kWh.

This version of the energy planner under predicts the effect of elevation - my predicted arrival percentage would fall every time I climbed very much, and come back up as I descended, and the 8% is while I was still somewhat in the mountains.

View attachment 213688 View attachment 213689

Nice. Thanks for that. After comparing Tesla's current Supercharger map to their proposed map for 2017, it appears there is going to be a new Supercharger about 90 miles south of Wytheville down I-81. It actually looks like it's near where you exit I-81 for 26 towards Asheville. I'm guessing it's in either Kingsport or Johnson City.

Nice. Thanks for that. After comparing Tesla's current Supercharger map to their proposed map for 2017, it appears there is going to be a new Supercharger about 90 miles south of Wytheville down I-81. It actually looks like it's near where you exit I-81 for 26 towards Asheville. I'm guessing it's in either Kingsport or Johnson City.

I think I saw something about that. Certainly it's something to keep in mind when making these choices - Tesla is filling in gaps and long stretches as quickly as they can, so trips will be easier in the future.

Another thing to keep in mind that I didn't realize when I was making my choices is that the 90D Supercharges 14% faster than the 75D, partly offset by the slightly higher average consumption - and the 100 charges faster yet.

The 75 is balanced on the edge of having to wait for the car in a typical road trip for me, so having that bit of an advantage would be useful.

I don't regret my choices, but my next car will probably have a bigger battery (and FSDC.) :)

Still loving the blue - such different character depending on what kind of lighting you're in.

No regrets on getting a smaller battery. While I didn't buy a Tesla to save money, it feels right to have bought at a price point that handled 99% of my driving. If you think you're going to spend more than 5% of your time exceeding your range then I'd skip the headache and get a bigger battery.

Since Blue is my favorite also for when I eventually order (!), any comments on preferred interior combos? I keep switching back and forth between all black and black seats and light headliner. All black looks really dark, but the two-tone effect and 'light headliner gets dirty' comments keep me indecisive.

I would have gone with gray interior (like my current BMW), but that's another 'we didn't sell enough, so no gray for you...'. :)

any comments on preferred interior combos? :)

The current tan would look pretty good with the blue. The white wouldn't look bad at all. Black would look a bit odd, like wearing a navy blazer with black trousers.

The problem with the tan interior (or the light headliner) is that the Figured Ash is about the ugliest thing to come down the line since the Elephant Man or the Yugo. I don't know who in the world thought that terrible stuff was a good idea, but they ought to be smacked and sacked.

The current tan would look pretty good with the blue. The white wouldn't look bad at all. Black would look a bit odd, like wearing a navy blazer with black trousers.

The problem with the tan interior (or the light headliner) is that the Figured Ash is about the ugliest thing to come down the line since the Elephant Man or the Yugo. I don't know who in the world thought that terrible stuff was a good idea, but they ought to be smacked and sacked.

Disagree the figured ash wood looks majestic and royal in my tan interior and blAck exterior. Love it

Reactions: Sully's8

i saw the figured ash today for the first time.

it is by far the most beautiful wood trim i have ever seen in any car of any price.

Reactions: Sully's8
Disagree the figured ash wood looks majestic and royal in my tan interior and blAck exterior. Love it
Hm... the problem I have personally with the tan is that it's not dark enough. Not like the old British equivalent, which I assume it's aiming at. Had that once in a BMW back when. ;) It might be an option though.

Decisions, decisions... the point about the black is a good one, though. And family members aren't fans of the white.

I do like the wood trim also. The carbon fiber isn't bad but looks too fake for me (yes, the wood is fake too, but less fake :) ).

There really are too few color trim choices now. :(

I personally didn't like the blue color when I first saw it, now that I have seen the blue color more often, I really like it. If I had to choose again, I would probably get it.

If you have money to get the bigger battery, go for it, for me the lower battery works great, I can pretty much go anywhere in the Bay Area in a charge.

I've always had white cars and ended up seeing and getting a blue inventory X with white interior. It has really grown on me and the blue is a very "royal" striking blue overall. You do have to take care of the paint but not quite as bad as a black - it can get swirls, etc. They all do but darker colors show it more. Love the blue though overall.

As far as battery, range is king, you'll hear that always. The 100D is the way to go, if you can. If not, 90D, then 75D. 100D is probably the best as far as future resale. Elon stated today that 100kWh is the max for S/X he sees being offered ever (we'll see).

Remember, cold climates/months will take away a lot of range, X is hard to get rated miles anyway, especially in TX going over 70mph. Then you'll also only be charing to 90% of stated range most of the time as well as you'll have degradation over time on top of all that.

For example, say you have a Model X 75, with 237 stated miles of range.

237 Full Charge or bit more new.
225 100% charge after 5% degradation (max likely) say up to 20K miles to even off.
202 Miles typically at daily recommended 90% charge
------ that will be your base in time.

Further examples:
- 10% driving at normal freeway speeds, >55/60 mph I'd say. Ending 180ish miles true range. It is impossible to get the rated 320watts per mile to get true rated range IMHO.
- 25-40% in cool to cold weather, dramatically impacting your range. Could have you around 110-140 miles actually usable then.

100D would build on top of all this.

Last edited: