Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Colour match for Sport Wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder if you have tried this yourself and if so, any update?

Below is the response from Tesla.

Thank you for contacting Tesla.

The paint repair kit should not be used on the rims. Pleases reference the video on the link you sent me.

Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Regards,

Kevin
Online Orders | North America
45500 Fremont Blvd, Fremont, CA 94538
(e) [email protected]
shop.teslamotors.com
Visit our shop FAQ for more information on online orders!

• Informative
Reactions: hoang51
It's darker and does not match well with the wheels' color. However, I brought mine to a local wheel repair shop. They charged me $85/wheel for repairing, and the color they blended called silver metallic. Apparently, it's pretty typical, so I ask the owner to buy a bottle to use for myself later. Try local wheel repair shop to see if they can match the color for you.

• Informative
Reactions: hoang51
It's darker and does not match well with the wheels' color. However, I brought mine to a local wheel repair shop. They charged me $85/wheel for repairing, and the color they blended called silver metallic. Apparently, it's pretty typical, so I ask the owner to buy a bottle to use for myself later. Try local wheel repair shop to see if they can match the color for you.

Thanks for the update. Local wheel repair shop was crazy to ask for $125+ to just repair a rock chip. Got it down to $80, but even then that's too expensive. I'd rather let that rock chip stay where it is as battle damage from the road.

Has anyone tried this paint? Sonic Silver Wheel Touch Up Paint

They say "This is our signature wheel touch up paint for Sonic Silver Tesla OEM wheels. We use premium grade PPG automotive paint that matches the OEM finished perfectly. "

You get 14ml’s of paint in an easy to use, professional touch-up pen designed for automotive use.

You can either unscrew the top and use the built in brush or pop off the clear cap and use the fine tip to apply a droplet.

Simply shake it up for about 3-5 minutes then apply to that nasty nick or scratch on your wheel. This enamel has a clear coat built in for excellent gloss and shine.

I'm looking for confirmation since I've seen so many different options/opinions on this thread. I have a 2018 Model 3. Hoping someone can help. Thanks.

Has anyone tried this paint? Sonic Silver Wheel Touch Up Paint

They say "This is our signature wheel touch up paint for Sonic Silver Tesla OEM wheels. We use premium grade PPG automotive paint that matches the OEM finished perfectly. "

You get 14ml’s of paint in an easy to use, professional touch-up pen designed for automotive use.

You can either unscrew the top and use the built in brush or pop off the clear cap and use the fine tip to apply a droplet.

Simply shake it up for about 3-5 minutes then apply to that nasty nick or scratch on your wheel. This enamel has a clear coat built in for excellent gloss and shine.

I'm looking for confirmation since I've seen so many different options/opinions on this thread. I have a 2018 Model 3. Hoping someone can help. Thanks.

For anyone still needing help with this you have 2 options. The best option would be to go to a automotive paint supply(I recommend Omni or PPG) and have them scan the wheel with there tool. This will give you an exact match. When doing this option I would recommend buying 2 part paint which means you need to apply a clear after you fixed the issues. Even if you have just the edges curbed you still need to sand with a high grit from the curbed edge to half the wheel. This will allow you to blend the two clears together. At this point I think if you wanted a different color now would be the time to do it. Also keep in mind for gouges you will need to use Bondo spot putty. This will fill in the nick that are just too deep(as in you see metal) there is no way your gonna be able to fan that ding enough to look smooth.

Option 2: This is more for someone just wanting it not to stand out but doesn't have to be perfect. I would still recommend getting it locally by having scanned but if not order it online you could try getting a universal metallic silver and the Sonic silver then mix the Sonic with the universal a little at a time until you get close. Fill in the hole with paint but not budging out the top. Let dry then repeat until slightly above level. Then wet sand with high grit and polish. Instead of building the paint up use Bondo spotting putty to get it level then paint. You will need more paint to cover it because it's red an harder to cover.

Best option get scanned, do prep work. Spray entire wheel. Clear coat. Polish.

Many different ways to go about it just depends on how much effort your willing to spend doing it.

Reactions: islack