TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Columbus Moving?

Discussion in 'Texas' started by charliepmayer, Apr 14, 2018.

1. charliepmayer

charliepmayer Member

• Informative x 2
  2. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

This could make sense if Tesla had a 5 year lease on the current location. Columbus opened in October 2013, the second supercharger site in Texas.

3. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Well-Known Member

We'll be seeing these old leases expire. Given Tesla's current position, they should find it easier to get sites than 5 years ago, although more demanding lease terms might make it harder again.

4. namlio

namlio Member

A change would make sense just to avoid the flooding issues at the current site. The hotel where the current chargers are located was under water when the Colorado river flooded during Harvey. From what I could see when we drove through during our evacuation, the flooding seemed to be concentrated in that area. It seemed to be dry across the freeway.

5. BerTX

BerTX Supporting Member

Isn't this used mostly when travelling between Austin and Houston? Will it be needed once Brenham/290 is built out?

I usually use Flatonia as a potty stop for a few minutes when going from San Antonio to Houston, then stop longer in Columbus because we like the Mexican restaurant there. I could get by without Columbus. I mean, more Superchargers is always better, but if they are building a new one, there are lots of places it would be more useful...

6. BerTX

BerTX Supporting Member

Actually this looks like a spot custom-built to be a Supercharger location?

" FACILITY IS APPROX 70' FT SOUTHEAST OF INTERSECTION ON ALLEYTON RD. SITE IS APPROX 250'X300', THE EASTERN-MOST BOUNDARY IS THE RETENTION POND"
    upload_2018-4-15_12-3-8.png

Attached Files:

7. TexLaw

TexLaw Member

That sounds like a much more useful location.

8. DriverOne

DriverOne Supporting Member

The area with the loop around it? I wonder what the loop is for.

This is designed for Model 3's, not X's with trailers :) Urban 72KW chargers then?

9. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

No. The text says it’s the area SE of the intersection, next to the retention pond. That’s a parking lot like any other parking lot.

10. BerTX

BerTX Supporting Member

I was thinking the separate pad with the separate entry that is adjacent to the retention pond, as stated in the description above.

I don't really know what the circular drive is for -- maybe an RV dump station? Looks like a lot of expense to put that in, so it must serve some purpose. Maybe a drive-thru for a food truck? Who knows. If that section IS where the SC will go, maybe there will be one plug on that loop specifically to accommodate MXs with trailers?

Why would it be urban chargers? This is not located near any population centers. Not even in the main part of Columbus.

11. brkaus

brkaus Well-Known Member

I would guess the loop is for future drive through fast food. I don't think I would design that for trailers. Better places on the lot w/o the two sharp turns and getting parked in.

12. wart

wart Nosecone Member

Hmm. Definitely not as many dining options here as in Columbus. From what I see on Google Maps this Alleyton location would just have the Subway at the Snappy's Market, and Taco Bell at the Shell next door.

I drive between San Antonio and Houston every few months. Generally stop at Columbus on the eastbound leg and Flatonia on the westbound leg. High water notwithstanding, I'm rather fond of Columbus being where it is.

13. Xd85

Xd85 Member

What do people think of the non-WiFi non-cellular (at&t at least) of the Mexican restaurant? Good food, but you never know when supercharging is done . Agreed it’s slightly better than Flatonia, if only bathrooms in hotel are less shady

14. BerTX

BerTX Supporting Member

I guess it depends on your provider? I've never had a problem with AT&T .

Off topic, but why would a Tesla owners have a provider other than the one the car uses?

15. Xd85

Xd85 Member

Hmm never thought about that question, but my cell plan predated the Tesla. Been to the restaurant multiple times never got a signal hmmm

16. Billstickers

Billstickers Member

I guess it's better for my waistline to eat at Subway than that Mexican restaurant but that doesn't sound too appetizing.

• Like x 1
  17. SpiceWare

SpiceWare Member

Yes, for those of us on the south-west side getting to 290 is quite the detour - especially if headed to downtown Austin. I usually take 6 to 90 to 71.

• Informative x 1
  18. Chuq

Chuq Active Member

I missed this thread when it was first created! It looks official enough for a blue dot?

19. brkaus

brkaus Well-Known Member

This one looks more likely than most based on the wording in the survey request. But it is still just a survey.

Technically, the blue dot says "permit".

I feel like there are a few on the map that probably only "evaluation" surveys.

• Informative x 1
  20. XHabjab

XHabjab Helping to end the ICE Age

I just stopped by there today. No sign of activity yet, but I'm ready for it!

WaitingForSC.jpg

• Funny x 1