Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Come on, Build super chargers on I-10 from Arizona to Texas.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've owned my Tesla for two years, 47,000 miles. I cant leave my city and head east. I have to go 4 hours north, then head east, then 6 hours south in order to get to San Antonio. Double the distance! There is virtually no possibility to go east unless you want to take days to drive what should take hours.
This is a major corridor that links California to all of America on the southern route. Why keep building super chargers in California every few miles?
Getting tired of having to drive a Prius or my 4 runner to head east.
Please get this route done before completely saturating California.

Yes, I agree. Also, I-10 is a major trucking corridor for the southern part of the US. It’s also a great route for winter travel, avoiding I-40. It’s obviously shown as being built out for 2016 in the Supercharger map, but who really knows when that will happen, considering that we are already ¼ of the way into 2016.

(I write these negative comments in hopes that Tesla will prove me a fool)

I've owned my Tesla for two years, 47,000 miles. I cant leave my city and head east. I have to go 4 hours north, then head east, then 6 hours south in order to get to San Antonio. Double the distance! There is virtually no possibility to go east unless you want to take days to drive what should take hours.
This is a major corridor that links California to all of America on the southern route. Why keep building super chargers in California every few miles?
Getting tired of having to drive a Prius or my 4 runner to head east.
Please get this route done before completely saturating California.

I completely agree (and I live in California). This route was supposed to be finished by the end of 2015. I've stopped at the Magic Circle RV park in Wilcox AZ six times on the way to and from Las Cruces and I'd hoped to see at least a building permit for a supercharger between Tucson and Las Cruces by this point. I've made some suggestions about potential locations along I10 to the email address linked on the teslamotors supercharger page. If enough people do that, perhaps it will speed things up a bit. Until then I suppose people could try to convince NRG/EVgo (or some other organization) to install some 50 kW CHAdeMO chargers along I-10 since that would be far better than 10 kW charging at RV parks. Heck, even a string of 20 kW Tesla HPWCs along the route would be a big improvement.

I completely agree (and I live in California). This route was supposed to be finished by the end of 2015. I've stopped at the Magic Circle RV park in Wilcox AZ six times on the way to and from Las Cruces and I'd hoped to see at least a building permit for a supercharger between Tucson and Las Cruces by this point. I've made some suggestions about potential locations along I10 to the email address linked on the teslamotors supercharger page. If enough people do that, perhaps it will speed things up a bit. Until then I suppose people could try to convince NRG/EVgo (or some other organization) to install some 50 kW CHAdeMO chargers along I-10 since that would be far better than 10 kW charging at RV parks. Heck, even a string of 20 kW Tesla HPWCs along the route would be a big improvement.

If you look at the 2016 Tesla Supercharger map it looks like even if they build everything shown there will still be a bit of a gap from El Paso east. From the Tesla 2016 map it looks like a supercharger is scheduled for El Paso and the next one is Fort Stockton. It's 240 miles and would require perfect temperature, no headwind and driving and drive under the speed limit to make it.

It's also interesting to note as they are ramping up production the completion of superchargers has fallen. As of today 11 superchargers have opened this year in the US. Last year at this time 37 had opened.

Also waiting for superchargers on I-10 west of Austin/San Antonio. Need charging from Austin -> Fort Stockton (will destination charge near Fort Davis).

I believe I-10 West superchargers originally appeared on the map for 2015, then got pushed out to 2016. Well, it's almost mid-2016. Where are the I-10 West superchargers?

I wouldn't get yer hopes up fer 2016. They've had the same projection since at least 2014.

0 for 8! 0 for 8! That's pretty much the story for Tucson to San Antonio right there.

It's not just that it's the only transcontinental route short of the Panama Canal that doesn't require snow tires and chains at some point year-round,

It's that on top of that, *and* the inherent delays that have affected every Tesla owner who's driven cross-country along that southern route, they've failed to demonstrate even the nth degree of progress based upon *their own projections*.

So there's no accountability to boot.

As the political mouthpieces du jour would opine, that's bad optics right there *twitch*.

Less than a handful of SCs from Tucson to El Paso. A handful from there to San Antonio and less to connect the progress made along I-20.

Meanwhile, it's a hard right at Baton Rouge into tornado country and the black ice of the high deserts. Feh.

But hey, at least we have Magoc. *eyeroll*. And at this rate, we'll have the Alaskan Highway lit up before the I-10 corridor. Now, as cool as that 1900-mile stretch from Kamloops to Juneau will be to travel without it taking weeks on end, we still need a viable transcontinental route that doesn't take us into normally-avoidable crap wx.

I wouldn't get yer hopes up fer 2016. They've had the same projection since at least 2014.

0 for 8! 0 for 8! That's pretty much the story for Tucson to San Antonio right there.

It's not just that it's the only transcontinental route short of the Panama Canal that doesn't require snow tires and chains at some point year-round,

It's that on top of that, *and* the inherent delays that have affected every Tesla owner who's driven cross-country along that southern route, they've failed to demonstrate even the nth degree of progress based upon *their own projections*.

So there's no accountability to boot.

As the political mouthpieces du jour would opine, that's bad optics right there *twitch*.

Less than a handful of SCs from Tucson to El Paso. A handful from there to San Antonio and less to connect the progress made along I-20.

Meanwhile, it's a hard right at Baton Rouge into tornado country and the black ice of the high deserts. Feh.

But hey, at least we have Magoc. *eyeroll*. And at this rate, we'll have the Alaskan Highway lit up before the I-10 corridor. Now, as cool as that 1900-mile stretch from Kamloops to Juneau will be to travel without it taking weeks on end, we still need a viable transcontinental route that doesn't take us into normally-avoidable crap wx.
Have you tested out the "destination charges" - you know, RV parks, motels and Nissan dealers?

Have you tested out the "destination charges" - you know, RV parks, motels and Nissan dealers?

Good idea, and duly researched. It's absolutely doable from an old school perspective. In theory. When the RV parks aren't changing hands and relevant policies. And when the Nissan dealerships are open and not ICEd - I mean, Leafed. And it'll take an extra 1-2 days to make that Tucson - San Antonio leg, let alone the entire transcontinental journey, because of those options.

If Tesla hadn't forecast completion for years now and shown any progress whatsoever, that would be a different story. As it stands today, the I-10 Supercharger Wasteland remains the redheaded stepchild of the SC network. It's behind Magoc, for Pete's sake. Magoc!? Poor Magoc. Fine people, I'm sure. Anyway, I've canceled this October's Florida trip and any subsequent Southeastern travel until the I-10 corridor is complete. There are plenty of other places to go that are and were finished more or less as promised.

At this rate, there will be no joy until 2018. Which, given that we're talking about a total of 8 already-forecast SCs, is appalling.

As it stands today, the I-10 Supercharger Wasteland remains the redheaded stepchild of the SC network.
Perhaps if the state weren't run by morons in thrall to ICE dealers, then Tesla might show it a bit more love. As it stands I can imagine the question coming up "should we pay attention to what Texas wants or to someplace that actually likes our company?" and Tesla making the obvious decision to put Texas at the back of the queue.

Makes sense to me. Of course they've been putting a lot of effort in around Dallas lately, so they actually are paying attention to Texas. You think they should be concentrating to the I-10 route rather than Dallas?

• Funny
Reactions: EVie'sDad
Does the phrase 'when hell freezes over' mean anything to you?

Anti-Tesla states are generally lagging behind in supercharger infrastructure build-out (and service centers/stores) because of internal bureaucratic governing, not because of Tesla's lack of trying. I would not look for anything to change in the foreseeable future until those administrations change to more business-friendly elected officials.