Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Comed RRTP (at least in Chicago area) is great!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just want to share for those of you that may have Comed as your electric provider and delivery service, the RRTP Program (Residential Real Time Pricing) is great for an MS it seems. We got it activated promptly after getting our 70D.

Overall it is cheaper throughout most days with spikes only on really hot days, but definitely saves some $ on your electric bill, maybe 15% or more if you were used to having the locked in Chicago rate of 5.9 cents per kw.

For example, always charge the car starting at 3AM now here. It charges typically for 1-3 hours when rates are around 1.9, 1, .9, or has been negative 1.9 or more cents lately. Had times where it was negative 10 to 20 cents per kw between 3-7AM even some days.

Highly recommend it for those with the option - makes charging cost next to nothing being a few cents, or actually earn $ on your bill when rates are negative.

-T

More info at their site.
Live Prices | ComEd RRTP

Example
Image: http://i.imgur.com/Kgjvty3.png
Kgjvty3.png

I'm curious, do these prices include delivery as well, or is there a separate fixed-cost per kWh for that?
There are several other charges based on kWh used and a few other Delivery related charges, but the actual; "Electricity Supply Charge" (as the OP indicated) is very favorably priced in the ComEd serviced regions of Chicagoland. The biggest difference between the two bills is the calculation for the "Capacity Charge" (if memory serves).

I've been on the RRTP plan since my wife began leasing a Focus EV last year. When I got my MS I was going to add additional panels to our solar array to compensate for the extra usage, but the Governor removed the state rebates related to solar so I just stuck it out. Surprisingly, on RRTP having to charge 2 EVs now isn't much more expensive then when we were on ComEd's standard pricing plan with 0 EVs. The 6.0kw Solar Array helps, but the RRTP plan has saved us a few hundred $$$ compared to the standard plan (in a little more than a year).

I absolutely love the occasional negative electricity rates overnight where ComEd is actually paying me to charge my car. :)

I use a spreadsheet to track the pricing and usage for every hour of data since going to RRTP in June 2014 and I've found the best time for me to start charging the car is 1AM. The hourly period ending at 2AM is typically the start of a several hour period of low prices that I see overnight. It's not always that way, but that's what 14 months of data has shown on average.

Last edited:
I have have a 9.35 KW solar array and have been considering switching to RRTP. I was concerned with the default capacity charge since I had a smart meter for less than a year. Now it has been more than a year and the capacity charge will be based on my actual data. Even with the Model S charging, I am a net producer about 8 months a year. Does anyone have experience with RRTP in months when you produce more than you use? What is your minimum bill?

This is how my bill has looked like since March:biggrin:

ComEd Bill.PNG

I have have a 9.35 KW solar array and have been considering switching to RRTP. I was concerned with the default capacity charge since I had a smart meter for less than a year. Now it has been more than a year and the capacity charge will be based on my actual data. Even with the Model S charging, I am a net producer about 8 months a year. Does anyone have experience with RRTP in months when you produce more than you use? What is your minimum bill?
I've had a few bills under $10, but I'm also on their AC Cycling Program (which reduces my bill $10/mo for 4 months during the Summer). My capacity charge was fairly large until I went a year on the program and it was adjusted. It's only about $3.45 a month now, but it was more than $15.00 at one point if I remember right.

I have had... mixed results with RRTP. The main problem is I charge at work 90-95% of the time for free now, which wasn't the case when I first signed up. Without the EV to help time shift usage to the early morning hours I've had 0 luck saving money. In fact RRTP has cost me slightly more ($20ish) than the standard energy plan, I keep it around for the rare cases when I do need to charge at home, but it's been almost a complete wash for me over the last year and a half or so.

I know this thread hasnt been posted in for awhile. Just moved into new house and have Smart Meter now. So signed up for Hourly Pricing. Wondering what people do to take advantage of it the most.

Obviously shift charging of EV cars to night. What time do you usually start?

Shift dishwasher to overnight wash. Wash clothes at night.
Air Conditioning. Currently we run air at lower temperature during the day when we are awake and doing things. With hourly pricing do you run it heavier at night and get the house real cool and then when rates higher the air is slowly warming up and AC doesnt kick in until later.

Any other tips?

I know this thread hasnt been posted in for awhile. Just moved into new house and have Smart Meter now. So signed up for Hourly Pricing. Wondering what people do to take advantage of it the most.

Obviously shift charging of EV cars to night. What time do you usually start?

Shift dishwasher to overnight wash. Wash clothes at night.
Air Conditioning. Currently we run air at lower temperature during the day when we are awake and doing things. With hourly pricing do you run it heavier at night and get the house real cool and then when rates higher the air is slowly warming up and AC doesnt kick in until later.

Any other tips?
In regards to charging the EV, it may depend on how many kWhs you need to put back in it everyday based on your driving and how fast your charging is. I was only charging to 80% and I think I started at 2 or 3am.

This live prices chart gives you and idea of when to start. Live Prices | ComEd's Hourly Pricing Program

We definitely cools the house down before we went to bed so we would be comfortable to sleep well. You may want to cool your house down before you get home so like mid afternoon when rates are reasonable ... but before everyone is coming home and cranking their A/C and ovens (and rates go way up).

Resurrecting this thread yet again. I just got my first Hourly/RRTP bill. My capacity charge was $60! I emailed them, but not sure if they are willing to do anything about it. We were very cognizant of our usages, like charging overnight, and my actual electric supply charges were $37. Overall cost of power for this bill was about .10/kwh. I was at .11 fixed.

Has anyone successfully been able to get their capacity charges adjusted right off the bat?

Thanks-
Andrew