Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Comet Passes Near Arcturus - Early January 1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Curt Renz

Mar 5, 2013
USA
The magnitude +7.0 comet C/2013 US 10 Catalina will appear to pass the magnitude -0.0 star Arcturus by 0.4° during the morning of 2016 JAN 01 at 11:30 UT (05:30 CST). For almost all of North America this will occur before sunrise with the comet and star above the horizon. A telescope or binoculars will be necessary.

The comet will then be virtually at its peak brilliance which is expected on January 7. It will be closest to Earth on January 17 at 0.7244 AU.

I’ve created several preview graphics and an ephemeris. They can be viewed at www.CurtRenz.com/comets.html

Photos and descriptions of the comet would be welcome additions to this thread.

I happened to wake up at 6 AM Jan 2, and bundled up here on a rare clear cold Seattle morning. I had seen the Astronomy Picture of the Day (APOD) page and knew it was a good time to look, as it was early to find near Arcturus. Found the small, greenish blob right next to the star. I could even make out the direction of the forked tail. Used my big binoculars. Love finding these faint visitors. Next Christmas's comet may make it eye visibility. Let's hope! The APOD site is a great daily distraction for those so inclined (Astronomy Picture of the Day).