Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Comfort of Polestar 2 versus Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Noflash

Aug 11, 2020
Denver
Listings
I test drove a Model Y LR with 19"s yesterday and Polestar 2 with 20"s today. Even considering the difference in wheel size, I was surprised to find the Model Y to be much more comfortable of the two. Both rode a little harshly over bumps. Both had the "boom" sensation from the hatch. In the Polestar I could actually see the rear parcel shelf "booming" like a sub-woofer over bumps. Overall, the P2 had a lot more bouncing around on the road. It actually left my back and neck sore afterwards (I'm 47 with back issues).

The seats and upright position were FAR more comfortable in the Y. This includes the armrests which were an uncomfortable fabric in the P2. I actually could only get my arm on the right armrest if both cup holders were covered with the sliding armrest. Additionally, the smaller size of the P2 felt cramped and the lower ride height was more difficult getting in and out.

Both cars were fast, but I enjoyed the driving experience of the Y.

Only advantage the P2 really had was in-mirror blind-spot warning.

This kind of seals the deal for the MY for me.

We also test-drove a Polestar 2 and overall liked it but didn't love it. The outside is nice, my partner liked the look better than the MY. However, inside felt "squishy" to me (larger gentleman in girth) due to the center console being so intrusive in the leg space. With the minimalist interior, the MY just feels so much more spacious. We did like the idea of having Android Automotive and the Google Assistant built in but the screen felt relatively small and spartan to me. The car was plenty quick, handled well, and generally had good feel. To be honest, I don't remember it riding rougher or more boomy than the MYs we test drove nor the one we now own.

I think the Polestar 2 was a great first effort from Volvo/Geely and it will definitely appeal to some. I think the upcomign Polestar 3 SUV may actually be more appealing, but time will tell. For us, the MY was just the clear choice at the time, and still is today.