Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coming From 911

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What are the non obvious differences between the cars, I sat in a 2007 911 turbo at a friends luxury lot and being a long time Porsche fan but non owner it had me thinking.
I reader my 911 Carerra Cabriolet in for my MS. Differences are many, to begin with:
9 year old car.
Full size sedan vs 2 seater (essentially).
Heavier vs lighter.
Both are very fun to drive.
My 90D is faster than my Porsche was.
Electric vs gas
Less maintenance than Porsche

Not sure where to start as much has been written on this topic. :cool:

Tesla S - super car acceleration 0-60, Grand Touring with EV sustainability.
Porsche 911 - true track car with super car acceleration and corner carving.

Bottom line: different tools for different tasks ... my recommendation - buy both!
(or drive a Porsche 918 with the advantages of both the EV and Gasoline Hybrid).
Pure. Energy. The 918 Spyder.
Porsche 918 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
-Center of gravity.
-Torque.
-I can hear my music and phone calls, which I never answer anyway. :)
-Less attention from small penis people trying to race me.
-No Porsche Club type events (like the race tents, driver education, etc.).
-Much less knowledgeable sales and tech staffs (Porsche puts their people on the track and if you have advance driving training as a customer or tech it takes buying and service to a another level).
-Build quality (will not say which is better because there's too much ego defense stuff on this site in general).
-PDCC (the 911 version, not the SUV version; best sports suspension I've ever experienced, which had a major impact on tire wear in a good way).

That said, the MS is superior to my previous 911/991.

The Tesla model S is my first American car.
Porsche is old school, Tesla is tomorrow's technology.
Porsche is noisy and slower straight line.
Porsche has less flexibility for storage and seating
Model S is big-very wide hard to tell exactly where the corners of the car are when parking
Model S has a full tank of electrons in the morning
Nothing can compare to Porsche handling
Model S has giant screen for navigation and slacker
Model S is great on road trips and driving around on a daily basis
Porsche service is not cheap, but I have had few problems with my Porsche. Porsche service is consistent, Tesla varies--sometimes loaners are available, sometimes at the end of quarter there are no loaners, sometimes appointments are long way out as Tesla expands and grows.
I am glad I am not polluting the world with our model S

I use to obsess over Porsches, now our Porsche mostly stays in the garage.

Frankly, after jumping on the Tesla bandwagon, I can no longer stand exhaust noise. Funny how that works.
I've always hated the car ads that show SUVs, trucks, etc. blasting along muddy off-road trails cutting ruts that will last (literally) for
centuries. Now as a Tesla owner I notice more and more how ads show high-end cars blasting noisily through serene scenery,
wrecking the local environment in a less permanent way. Makes you wonder whether the tide will eventually turn against "large
footprint" transportation (and recreation). I think many of us here would now appreciate an ad showing an EV cruising near-silently
through beautiful forests, leaving nothing whatsoever in its wake save for a little air turbulence (ok, maybe a lot of air turbulence in
some cases ;)). Of course, as many of us now know, it is hard to "sell" the Tesla driving experience from the outside, largely because
it (thankfully!) doesn't have the traditional "impact" of other high-end cars. You kind of have to drive it to understand it. As we also
know, once you do, there's no turning back! :D