Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coming from a Leaf, going to a Model S, then a Model 3.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

I currently have a Nissan Leaf. I have done the "Man maths" and can afford a CPO Model S until I get my Model 3 delivered.

I have never been in a Tesla, let alone driven one. I did book into a test drive, but all the spaces were already gone for the local one.

A couple of questions.

1. Does the Tesla have that really annoying amplified motor noise at low speed to warn pedestrians that can't be bothered to look? The Leaf does, and EVERY single time I get in the car I turn it off.

2. Does it have a speed limiting feature? With the miles of "average speed" cameras to go with the miles of roadworks in the UK, it is really useful in the Leaf.

3. Is there just one cigar lighter socket? 2 would be good, so I can charge my phone and run the Crash camera.

4. Does the bluetooth play music and phonecalls from a mobile phone. The Leaf stops the music to take the call and then auto resumes after. The only issue I have with that is the Map gets switched off whilst the call is in progress, which can be awkward having to put that back on whilst driving about, trying not to miss a turning.

5. Has it got a decent horn on the Tesla? The one on the Leaf is so quiet that a mouse fart would be louder. Admittedly I did have train horns on the Pick up, but that's a little excessive :)

6. Does it come with charging leads?
As slow as the Leaf charger is, mine came with a 2.3KW 230 volt standard house hold plug lead, which in emergencies will still charge a 24KW battery in 12 hours (so about 36 hours for a 70KW Tesla). This works well when we use the car on holiday, as I can plug into the holiday home and charge it back up overnight.

7. (last question, I promise!). On the Leaf, when first switched on (which can be 10 times a day with my job), it always asks if it can send data to NIssan. If I don't click yes, then I can't review the mileage/KW used etc for that session. IS there anything that pointless on a Tesla?

Many thanks for any input.

Reactions: apacheguy
Hi All,

I currently have a Nissan Leaf. I have done the "Man maths" and can afford a CPO Model S until I get my Model 3 delivered.

I have never been in a Tesla, let alone driven one. I did book into a test drive, but all the spaces were already gone for the local one.

A couple of questions.

1. Does the Tesla have that really annoying amplified motor noise at low speed to warn pedestrians that can't be bothered to look? The Leaf does, and EVERY single time I get in the car I turn it off.

2. Does it have a speed limiting feature? With the miles of "average speed" cameras to go with the miles of roadworks in the UK, it is really useful in the Leaf.

3. Is there just one cigar lighter socket? 2 would be good, so I can charge my phone and run the Crash camera.

4. Does the bluetooth play music and phonecalls from a mobile phone. The Leaf stops the music to take the call and then auto resumes after. The only issue I have with that is the Map gets switched off whilst the call is in progress, which can be awkward having to put that back on whilst driving about, trying not to miss a turning.

5. Has it got a decent horn on the Tesla? The one on the Leaf is so quiet that a mouse fart would be louder. Admittedly I did have train horns on the Pick up, but that's a little excessive :)

As slow as the Leaf charger is, mine came with a 2.3KW 230 volt standard house hold plug lead, which in emergencies will still charge a 24KW battery in 12 hours (so about 36 hours for a 70KW Tesla). This works well when we use the car on holiday, as I can plug into the holiday home and charge it back up overnight.

7. (last question, I promise!). On the Leaf, when first switched on (which can be 10 times a day with my job), it always asks if it can send data to NIssan. If I don't click yes, then I can't review the mileage/KW used etc for that session. IS there anything that pointless on a Tesla?

Go on the test drive as soon as you can

1 No noise - at least not in the North America version.
2 There is a "valet" mode you can select which limits top speed and acceleration. Otherwise just try to behave yourself.
3 (1) 12v socket for accessories, and (2) USB sockets for phone chargers (etc.) and flash drives for music.
4 If you are listening to music using the car's media app, a blue-tooth connected phone call will cause the media to mute or pause.
5 Good horn. Sounds to me like a classic American "Baap" rather than a "Beep."
6 Yes. For Great Britain, "Universal Mobile Connector with 7.4 kW capable blue industrial adapter (230V, 32A) and 2.3 kW capable UK 3-pin domestic adapter (230V, 10A)." Other adapters probably available, but you're all set for your holiday charging. Standard max charge rate 11kW. Upgradeable on-board charger for faster charging (up to 16.5 kW) with High Power Charger.
7 No stupid question every time you start.

Reactions: nexsuperne101
Having driven a Leaf and also a Sig Model S, I can tell you there is no need for a test drive. Test drives weren't even available when I purchased mine. You will come to appreciate so many things about driving the Model S. Ever try to quick charge your Leaf? Supercharging is infinitely easier. Ever tried to mess with settings on the touchscreen and have it locked you out or ask for confirmation 3 times over? Not in the Tesla.

Having driven a Leaf and also a Sig Model S, I can tell you there is no need for a test drive.

I also had a Leaf and now have an S. I agree with this. The S drives so much better. You will be blown away.

Others have answered your questions but I thought I'd add a few other considerations:
  • Default regen on the Tesla is strong. It's like (or maybe even a bit more than) driving in Leaf B mode. You'll get used to it, though, and if you hate it, there's a "low" setting.
  • Forget about range anxiety. It's just simply a non-issue.
  • You'll have to get used to thinking of efficiency in terms of Wh/mile rather than miles/kWh. But that is easy, and you can always convert if you want to compare. The Leaf is generally more efficient, though. I usually got around 4 miles/kWh in the Leaf and with the Tesla I'm averaging about 3.4-ish. That is partly b/c the Tesla is so much more fun to drive, but it is also, obviously, a heavier car.
  • Related: This car is fast.
  • Things you will actually miss on your Leaf:
    • Charging end timer
    • LED headlights (if you had them)
    • Climate precondition timer (not sure if this is available on other Teslas, but my S (no tech package) doesn't have this)
    • That is literally it.

Thank you all for your answers.

I didn't think of the auto defrost option. I use it a lot in the winter, as I tend to go out as the charge finishes on the end of the cheap rate electric. I haven't got LED headlights on my Leaf, as it is only the Accenta version. The regen I find useful, as I can drive on one pedal, and only use the friction brakes to stop at low speeds.

I think I phrased my question wrong regarding the speed. What I meant was can I set it to 40mph max (which is common for roadworks), and as long as I don't plant the throttle to the floor, then I take it that it won't go over that set speed?

In the UK, Tesla was providing a "Type-2 to Type-2" charging cable with the model S. I belive that a home charging station with Type-2 outlet and basic installation is provided for free by the UK utilities or government.

Check with your local Tesla store, or the UK regional forum here at TMC.

GSP

EDIT:

Here is a link to a discussion about charging in the UK regional forum. They mention that Tesla's new HPWC is a reasonably priced and very capable option.

Home charging options

Last edited:
I know that the charger installation on the Leaf was by way of a Government grant, which worked out at £195 minimum to supply and install. I had a real problem with that, as they charge over £800 in total (£195 plus another £600ish from the grant). I built my own wall charger, complete with the communications module, relay, waterproof enclosure and a type 1 (Nissan Leaf) Lead for less than £170. I can install, test and certify, as this is the line of work my company is in. I will just get a 32 amp Type 2 fly lead with plug and change the resistor to let the car know that there is a bigger charging supply available.

A few thoughts:

• Bluetooth: will do music, phone calls. If NAV is unmuted (you have that option, plus an independent volume adjustment), it will speak up, but only on the driver's side. Pretty sure it does it on phone calls, but this needs verification.
  • NAV: it displays in the IC, and the 17-inch screen. Hard to miss. You can optionnaly suppress the IC display for NAV, but I think you would have to do that consciously every time.
  • I have missed turns anyways, because, well, driving enjoyment...
  • Autopilot hardware equipped cars will read road signs for speed limits and display that in the IC. Cruise control will default to that speed plus your custom offset (which is 0 for everyone right?) when you enable it. Unless you are above that speed already.
  • At any time (with AP or cruise enabled, or not), the car emits a chime to warn you that you have crossed the speed limit+offset. You can turn that off if you hate it.
  • That chime will also go 'ding' when the car detects that the speed limit is suddenly lower on this section of road.
  • The cars now have some form of intelligent preconditioning of the car cabin temp. It learns your habits and will attempt to automatically prep the car for you. My schedule is too erratic for that, so I just pull out my phone or Apple Watch to start the HVAC with a tap. This part is fantastic!
  • No annoying screens to tap through to drive away. Except if a software update prompt is on screen, which you can dismiss quickly.

can I set it to 40mph max (which is common for roadworks), and as long as I don't plant the throttle to the floor, then I take it that it won't go over that set speed?

I might be missing something, but doesn't Cruise Control solve that? and with adaptive cruise control it will slow down for vehicle in front, and then speed up again when the traffic flows, no pedal needed unless burst of acceleration needed (or car in front changes lane and there is a stationary obstruction in your path)

Not sure that would work for me ... in VW Golf I switch display to Average Speed and reset as I pass each camera - for me 40 mph is a target speed! (actually 43MPH as Golf under reads - I have read that Tesla speedo is very accurate, which is an advantage - I pass a lot of traffic going at GPS declared 40MPH rather than speedo's-value)

I might be missing something, but doesn't Cruise Control solve that? and with adaptive cruise control it will slow down for vehicle in front, and then speed up again when the traffic flows, no pedal needed unless burst of acceleration needed (or car in front changes lane and there is a stationary obstruction in your path)

Not sure that would work for me ... in VW Golf I switch display to Average Speed and reset as I pass each camera - for me 40 mph is a target speed! (actually 43MPH as Golf under reads - I have read that Tesla speedo is very accurate, which is an advantage - I pass a lot of traffic going at GPS declared 40MPH rather than speedo's-value)

OK, that's a fair point. The Leaf doesn't have TACC, so what I do instead is set the speed limiter to 40mph, and just vary the amount of throttle. I had forgotten about such creature comforts on the Tesla! :)

Great questions, most of which have already been answered. Bottom line, if you can afford a cpo model S, you will not regret it! After one press of the go pedal, a grin will come across your face and you will forget about all of this analysis and wonder why you didn't just get one sooner! Oh and by the way, the Tesla is very safe, fast, silent, efficient, has the storage and seating of an SUV, gets better with time via OTAs and is just basically awesome. Good luck!!

Hi All,

A couple of questions.

My last car before my Model S was a Leaf and there is no comparison between the two. I smiled as I read your list of questions :)

- I was shocked by how much quieter it is in the S than the Leaf (all speeds)...and I thought the Leaf was quiet.
- Highway speeds in the Leaf killed the range but doesn't impact the Tesla. Larger battery and superchargers make range anxiety a thing of the past.
- The Tesla is just a ton of fun to drive.

Range anxiety was a real concern a couple of days ago. I got 7 miles from home, and the display was showing --- on both range and battery. I rolled onto the driveway in turtle mode, and it just clicked into N to coast as I stopped to park up. It really couldn't have been any closer! That was after a 77.6 mile drive, but it was only 10C, so the temperature didn't help the range. I am looking forward to being able to do 150 miles without needing to rapid charge at all. It's often twice in winter with the Leaf, and definitely once in summer.