Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coming from a Leaf, going to a Model S, then a Model 3.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Someone please explain this "driving by cameras" thing...

We have two main types of speed camera here in the UK (not including a policeman hiding in the hedge pointing a thing looking like a hair dryer at you ...)

We originally had static cameras; they are attached to a pole and take a photo of the vehicle if it exceed the speed limit. People slow down for them (sometimes in an emergency-fashion, if they only see the camera at the last moment, which can be very dangerous). There was some issue with a trial case in the court where it did not seem possible to prove that the camera was working correctly at the time (regardless of whether it was when tested before, and also when tested some time after, the event). So the (crafty ...) solution was to paint a barcode on the road, have the camera take two photos a [known] short time apart, and then see how many bars on the road-marking the car had covered, enabling the speed to be double-checked. So as well as the camera itself (usually) being painted bright yellow there is also the barcode on the road. Too late when you spot the barcode, but it does make you aware of where the camera are. Anyways, my SatNav knows where they all are and reminds me in good time ...

The second type is a Time & Distance recording device. You pass the first camera, it has Number Plate Recognition and logs your vehicle's registration. Then the second camera does the same thing a few miles further on and from the two pieces of data they work out if your average speed exceeded the limit. Its very easy for your speed to creep up of course, so you can get caught out that way. Some people just engage Cruise Control, but if you have to slow down for traffic you are not achieving maximum average legal speed, so I reset the Average Speed function on my dashboard, each time I pass a camera, and then I can just check if my average speed is below a safe-amount over the limit. My SatNav knows about those cameras too, but I don't know of any SatNav that will alert you only if your average speed is high, so Satnav keeps telling me there is a camera coming up, regardless of whether there is actual risk, or not.

Do you not get that reassuring warm glow when you go through a "safety camera". Don't you feel all safe? They are just money makers.
Speed was never a contributing factor in an accident, but driving like a muppet is!
There is a time and a place to get your foot down, and on a motorway with all the new technology, the archaic 70mph limit from the 1960's doesn't reflect how good the cars are now.
It doesn't take 15 miles to stop from 70mph any more - It's not a Ford Anglia!

Do you not get that reassuring warm glow when you go through a "safety camera". Don't you feel all safe? They are just money makers.
Speed was never a contributing factor in an accident, but driving like a muppet is!
There is a time and a place to get your foot down, and on a motorway with all the new technology, the archaic 70mph limit from the 1960's doesn't reflect how good the cars are now.
It doesn't take 15 miles to stop from 70mph any more - It's not a Ford Anglia!

Car safety features become less and less relevant the faster you go.

The Physics of a High-Speed Crash: 70 MPH vs. 85 MPH

Anatomy of a high-speed car crash

This also goes for the cars going in the opposite direction as you.

• Informative
Reactions: benjiejr