Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coming improvements to MY and best time to pull trigger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Bobfitz1

Supporting Member
Sep 24, 2012
Ludlow, Vt
I ordered an MY Performance back when FSD price was $6K. While I know MY overall is the best Tesla yet, I'm not in a rush to get one this Fall if some quality issues and other improvements are not too far out.

Until Gigafactory Texas starts producing MYs, anyone on the east coast of U.S. will be getting Fremont built MYs.
There were pictures published last week of the new super casting machine arriving at Fremont. The same as the one delivered to Shanghai GF some number of weeks ago for the brand new MY line being built.
My understanding is they plan to use the new larger casting machine to make the back end as a single casting, which will save more manufacturing time and cost over the current MY two joined cast pieces. I haven't seen any info that there is
any benefit other than cost savings to having two cast pieces vs the newer single casting. Has anyone seen any info on that? We can surmise that there might be some minor quality improvement to the one cast piece, but unless they have made design tweaks to various sub areas in the casting, I would think any improvement would be slight as far as performance or long range quality goes. I would assume that sometime in another few months when the mega casting machine has been installed, tested and fine tuned, all Fremont produced MYs will have the single casting, both the current MY line and the new one. Does that seem about right?

The MY paint quality problems cited by Sandy Munro and some who have had MYs delivered, I don't think will finally be resolved until Tesla is able to replace the original Fremont paint shop with a new state of the art paint shop. Munro says these now run a half billion. Shanghai I think already has one and Texas GF surely will.
I have heard an additional paint shop is coming online at Fremont, but no idea what models will be painted there when done. Nor if the more advanced painting tech employed at Shanghai will be in that add'l paint shop.

I recall reading a few months back that the first production at Texas GF will be a Model Y line, and they may expedite that by sending a portion of Fremont bodies to Texas for final assembly and painting. I don't recall if they had any projected date for when that would begin. If shifting part of MY assembly to Texas is still the plan, I'm not sure that might not take a full year. I expect the drone videos are going to show the first buildings going up in the coming month or two.
Those first buildings and necessary power stations might be ready in six months. We've seen them complete assembly lines and paint shops in Shanghi in only 3 - 5 months. Might Texas MY production start as soon as early Q2 next year or is that nuts?

I doubt the first line of cars wouldn’t be the model y. Elon did say that the model 3, model y and cyber truck will be built in Texas. He is only having the X, S and the new roadster in Fremont . I believe the first cars will be the Cybertrucks. Who knows .

I don't think that using a new manufacturing process or a new factory will help Tesla's quality; I bought a new 2019 model X and it has the same issues we're seeing today with Model Y.
Tesla's problem is quality control or the lack of. Quality control costs a lot and starts with management commitment then workers attitude then systems and tools.
Tesla knows that it has the market when it comes to electric cars technology, that is why it can afford to sell cars with many quality issues. it also knows that in a few years, other manufacturers will catch up to its tech. and once that happens, people will not be accepting delivery of cars with defects. Time is running out, that is why Tesla is pushing out cars as fast as possible.
It reminds me of how the big 3 made cars in the 70s and 80s before the likes of Toyota showed them how to do it the right way.
It took GM, ford and Chrysler over 30 years to catch up, again because management (new management) had to commit and workers (new workers) had to be taught and systems and tools like FMEA, 6 sigma...etc. were put in place. Still, if you ask today, people will say toyota lead in quality!
I can assure you that most of us here will be buying our second electric car from the likes of Toyota/Lexus which will have a better tech. and a better range, charging, customer service..etc. in 5 - 10 years.

I can assure you that most of us here will be buying our second electric car from the likes of Toyota/Lexus which will have a better tech. and a better range, charging, customer service..etc. in 5 - 10 years.

Sorry to hear of your negative MX experience. However there is nothing about Toyota's reluctance to commit to EVs, nor their ability to innovate rapidly compared to Tesla, that supports your belief Toyota will one day produce superior EVs compared to Tesla. There is a ton of evidence that Tesla is widening their lead over the OEM ICE makers. More to come at Battery Investor Day in five more weeks.

Reactions: X Fan and richyrich
Don't take me wrong, I love the idea of an electric vehicle and I am indebted to Tesla for making such an idea a reality. My problem with Tesla is more of a frustration than a dislike as I see that they can be the best but they chose not to.
When I refer to Toyota, I am not supporting them over Tesla, my house hold has a Tesla and waiting for the second one - no Toyotas in my driveway! I am just using Toyota as an example of a car company that succeeded in building vehicles with most tech and most quality and succeeded in becoming no. 1 in a market that has many good players.
I wish Tesla the best, but they need to listen to customers and they need to focus more on quality if they are to stay in business and be successful. my 2 cents.

as a follow up to my last post, one more advice to Tesla, while Elon's vision carried the brand to where it is now - thank you Mr. Musk, I think that its time that the company started listening to its customers and utilizing market research in designing their vehicles. Elon can manage but he should not be designing or telling designers what to do. I know many people who don't like the minimalist interiors of the model 3 and y. many others cannot believe that the cybertruck will look as it does now. maybe he is many years a head of others, still he needs to sell to the "others" to stay in business, so he needs to listen.